U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 AM

669 posts, read 5,521,554 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with PVCs (pre-ventricular contractions). That's when the heart appears to pause (skips a beat) and then there's a big thud as the premature beat kicks in. I was also diagnosed with NSVT, which is less common in young people--it's when the heart has a bunch of PVCs in a row with no normal beats in between, and is dangerous because if there are too many PVCs in a row the heart is not working properly during that time. I have the palpitations every day for the past year and a half. Sometimes I'll have several PVCs a minute, other days I'll just have maybe 10 PVCs in the whole day. I had a complete cardiac workup by an electrophysiologist (specialized cardiologist), including echocardiogram, and everything was normal, but my holter recorded 150 PVCs/24 hour period.

Now my hubby has the same thing--just developed it in June. We are pretty surprised that we both have the same thing, given that we're both in our early 30's. My family has a history of heart palpitations, but not until much later in life.

I'm wondering if it's something environmental. NSVT is very unusual in young people and my cardiologist was very concerned when he found it on my holter. I was surprised when hubby developed the palps, but now he has NSVT too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM

17,198 posts, read 35,058,715 times
I have palpitations too and I guess I get them from my Mom. It is scary when it happens because it feels like everything is out of rhythm, and that makes it worse because my adrenaline starts pumping. I have noticed certain things trigger mine, like getting up too fast, drinking too fast, being frightened by something, or taking deep breaths.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have noticed certain things trigger mine, like getting up too fast, drinking too fast, being frightened by something, or taking deep breaths.
The deep breaths triggers mine too, and through some Internet research I realized that I have a hyperventilation syndrome. I am always taking very deep breaths, and when I started asking my family, they always noticed this too. So I stopped doing that, even though it's hard, and my PVC's have diminished a lot. Other than that, I don't have any triggers that I can figure out. DH doesn't have any triggers that he knows of either.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM

4,800 posts, read 8,108,938 times
I have fairly frequent palpitations, but I have Mitral Valve Prolapse--a relatively benign, but sometimes uncomfortable condition in which the mitral valve flaps closed with one overlaping the other rather than closing correctly, like a set of shutters. Are you sure that you have been diagnosed correctly?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM

6,804 posts, read 19,745,184 times
Little info. I take Atenolol 25mg (1x-day) for irregular heart beat. This pill is used to treat pain (angina) and BPH. Also after a heart attack to improve survival. This drug works by blocking the action of certain natural chemicals in your body such as epinephrine on the heart and blood vessels, which in essence lowers the heart rate, blood pressure, and strain on the heart. This info is directly from the printout given me with the pills. Another name would be TENORMIN. Good luck all. Steve

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I have fairly frequent palpitations, but I have Mitral Valve Prolapse--a relatively benign, but sometimes uncomfortable condition in which the mitral valve flaps closed with one overlaping the other rather than closing correctly, like a set of shutters. Are you sure that you have been diagnosed correctly?
I had a full cardiac workup by a cardiologist/electrophysiologist--echocardiogram, holter, several EKG's, physical exams, etc. I was just there in January too, and everything was normal. Everything was normal except what the holter showed. I know it's unusual for a young woman to have PVCs, and especially NSVT, but all my tests came back normal. Also had complete bloodwork panel. There are no more tests to have. I went to the top cardiologists at a top university teaching hospital. I am confident in my diagnosis.

I just find it odd that my hubby has the exact same thing!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:46 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,806,661 times
Whats changed in your life in those past few years? New products (teflon pans, HBA, pills, fried food history? Move?)

"For benign PVCs, anxiety is the most common cause. Increased levels of adrenaline are thought to play a role, often caused by caffeine, exercise or anxiety. Some other possible causes of PVC in adults include the use of cocaine, amphetamines, and alcohol. Medicines including digoxin, sympathomimetics, tricyclic antidepressants, and aminophylline have also been known to trigger attacks of PVC. [1]

Heart conditions or a previous history of heart attack, ischemia, myocarditis, dilated or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, myocardial contusion, atrial fibrillation and mitral valve prolapse may cause PVC. Patients with hypomagnesemia, hypokalemia, and hypercalcemia may also present with PVC.

PVCs in young children are thought to be associated with developmental factors of the autonomic nervous system. In older children, sympathomimetic drugs, such as cold or asthma medication may cause PVCs, along with mild cases of viral myocarditis"

"Possible triggers
Anxiety/Stress
Chocolate
Caffeine
Cocaine or other stimulant
Calcium/magnesium imbalance
Dehydration
Exercise
Hormonal imbalance
Hypercapnia (CO2 poisoning)
Hyperstimulation of the Vagus nerve
Lack of sleep/exhaustion
Overeating
Low copper
MSG "

Premature ventricular contraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 PM

36 posts, read 209,126 times
Look for some meds you started taking or stop taking suddenly.Check your coffee and cafeine intake.hth

Old 08-10-2008, 09:41 PM

10,355 posts, read 23,165,988 times
My other half started having heart palpitations after eating his lunches for the past month or so. He got rid of most of the salt in his diet and he doesnt get them anymore.
His sandwiches used to consist of high salt wheat wraps, lots of salty pickles, salty cheese, salty veggieburgers, salty mayo. Plus he would snack on salty snacks and much boxes of cereal(they have alot of sodium as well.)

Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,917,464 times
This is off the wall, but I have them too and am wondering if it is the wifi in the building where I work. In addition, there are radio/microwave towers everywhere continually bombarding us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness