Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:15 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times

Advertisements

Keep us posted on the warm water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I find this thread to be very interesting and I'll tell you why. My paternal grandfather was a Hungarian immigrant who lived to nearly 100 years old. He had very stringent eating habits that he never wavered from and swore by. My grandmother, having been married to him forever, followed them too and she lived into her 90's. Some of his "rules" were:

1) no ice; ever - thought it was too much of a shock on the digestive system
2) only drank room temperature beverages and warm water!
3) NEVER drank brown pops such as Coke or root beer. When he drank pop, it was always regular 7-UP. No diet.
4) Soup, Had soup every day for dinner before his main course. Said that soup was good for the body and curbed the appetite. Soups were always home made and never cream based.
5) Walking. He never learned how to drive so he walked and took buses everywhere. Until they died, they walked up 18 stairs to their apartment and sometimes carrying groceries.
6) Hot/cold mix. Foods and beverages should not be too cold or too hot in temperature, at least when eaten close together. For instance, he would not finish a hot meal and then have cold ice cream right away.

It could be a conicidence that they did these things and lived so long, but your warm water thing hit a chord with me.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I find this thread to be very interesting and I'll tell you why. My paternal grandfather was a Hungarian immigrant who lived to nearly 100 years old. He had very stringent eating habits that he never wavered from and swore by. My grandmother, having been married to him forever, followed them too and she lived into her 90's. Some of his "rules" were:

1) no ice; ever - thought it was too much of a shock on the digestive system
2) only drank room temperature beverages and warm water!
3) NEVER drank brown pops such as Coke or root beer. When he drank pop, it was always regular 7-UP. No diet.
4) Soup, Had soup every day for dinner before his main course. Said that soup was good for the body and curbed the appetite. Soups were always home made and never cream based.
5) Walking. He never learned how to drive so he walked and took buses everywhere. Until they died, they walked up 18 stairs to their apartment and sometimes carrying groceries.
6) Hot/cold mix. Foods and beverages should not be too cold or too hot in temperature, at least when eaten close together. For instance, he would not finish a hot meal and then have cold ice cream right away.

It could be a conicidence that they did these things and lived so long, but your warm water thing hit a chord with me.
That is what we really need to do! thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
That makes sense because the ash would counteract the acid like a homemade Tums.
Yeah, the chemistry is sound. The crazy part is actually drinking ashes in milk.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I take a tablespoon of just plain old vinegar. As the vinegar goes down my asophogis I can feel the pain go away immediately! It works! No purple pill here!
Vinegar has a pH of about 2, so I wonder if that couldn't actually aggravate some nervous stomachs, but acetic acid was used as a proto-painkiller back in the day. It has shares some properties with aspirin.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I think room temperature water is the best. I just recently heard Elton John saying something about using hot water from the tap for cooking and saying the water from your water heater has lead in it--or maybe it's the possible lead in the pipes and the hot water picks it up. Whatever, I'd just stick to room temperature water or heat it up on the stove if you want it warmer then room temperature. I did a little research on this just now and there is definitely a lot of information!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 AM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
I use PUR the water purifying pitcher Pur Plus Purifying Water Pitcher / PUR70351 / Water Purifying Pitcher, 4-9/16"x10-1/4"x12-3/16"
for all my drinking needs, If I want hot water,I would heat the water with my kettle,I drink that water cold or hot. Never drink water from the tap
That pitcher only costs $23.00

Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
I have a Dupont water pitcher and I am very pleased with it.
I'll try the warm water with my dh, he gets acid reflux really bad. He takes meds for it but he has a tendency to eat late at night. Ice cream is a biggie, he just doesn't learn. He jumped up in the middle of the night coughing again last night. He actually had an operation a few years ago and they took out several things in the back of his throat since he has sleep apnea also. I wish he would take better care of himself but I have decided that is his choice.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I have some reflux and also have a hiatal hernia. My reflux was never that bad but I did have a endoscopy about three weeks ago which showed some inflammation and erosion in some parts of my esophagus. The GI prescribed Nexium (the purple pill) and I took it for about 4 days. It made me burp all the time and I started getting tingling on both hands and arms. WEIRD. I've tried changing what I eat. I quit the OJ, tomatoes, pizza, white rice, cuban bread and I'm trying to eat healthier, besides I need to lose all the weight I put since I quit smoking.

The doctor just now prescribed Prevacid to replace the Nexium so I have to start that and see how that goes but he said I have to take something for the rest of my life. I need to have another endoscopy in a year and I hope to see no more inflammation by then.

I usually have room temperature water - filtered or tap. Doesn't matter to me. I grew up in NY where tap water is deeleeeshious

They say cold water makes your metabolism work faster so it's good for dieters.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM

205 posts, read 740,318 times
I have never been diagnosed by a doctor but some ten years ago I decided what I had was a hyatel hernia, and I had acid reflux really bad on a regular basis. I knew nothing and would just drink a bunch of water to curb it.

Eventually I read about apple cider vinegar and acid reflux, and I tell you, it cured me. I shouldn't say cured, but let's just say I don't bother with the vinegar anymore (still have it around with all INTENTIONS of using it; just never remember to) and I very seldom get acid reflux. If I do it's only after eating something really really bad for me and then taking a walk immediately afterrwards, and it's so mild that gulping down water makes it go away.

I've posted this elsewhere here too, I think, but frequently (okay, maybe not ALWAYS) the problem with acid reflux is NOT ENOUGH hydrochloric acid in the stomach, not TOO MUCH of it. Your food isn't digesting properly and food particles float up to the top of the stomach. Taking the vinegar helps the stomach build up its hydrochloric acid (which is depleted due to poor diet habits) and then the acid reflux goes away. Other things that are good for this are lemon juice and cayenne pepper, to name a couple. So if you really hate vinegar, try lemon water. With or without the cayenne pepper (the stuff i use is pretty mild so it's not scary going down).

Drinking alot more water than you usually do is a good thing to try if you have acid reflux, regardless of what you think of my information in this post about the hydrochloric acid thing. And avoid carbonation! Carbonation is a great, bit NO NO for people with stomach troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness