U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,031,908 times

Advertisements

For the last few days, I have been trying to avoid taking prilosec.

I have acid relux which is caused by having a hiatal hernia. I had saw on the news that acid reducers such as prilosec can cause a person to not absorb calcium which can lead to osteoporosis. Sometimes I can go a day between servings but after 2 days I can start to feel the acid build right back up and have to take the medicine. I had been thinking of what I could do or take in it's place, because I don't want to have osteoporosis. I started limiting the foods I eat and nothing acid based until last night which I had no choice but to make.

My daughter had her friend over who is a vegetarian. The only thing I had to make for dinner for all of us was a baked rigatoni which has cheese and a jar of red vodka sauce and could feel that I had some acid already present in my stomach and figured I would be relying on the medicine when all was said and done.

As I was getting everything ready for the table, I filled everyone's drink with ice water but I had an idea, why not try warm water for me. I had heard a tid bit years ago that if you have digestive issues to try it. Well I did and YES a little miracle occured. I did not have any acid reflux last night at all!

The acid reflux for me has been so bad at night that I have to put several pillows behind my back to have my torso in a sitting position in order to sleep. I usually have to take extra prilosec and not only brush my teeth after taking it and rinsing with listerine, I have to spray my mouth with chloreseptic
in order for the back of my throat to feel some relief. That is how bad it is.

Last night, after I drank the water I could feel that it was working. I had a bad pained feeling from the pasta but then the water started to make it feel better. I went to sleep and woke up refreshed ready to tell of my experience.

I don't really know much about this and tried to find articles online. Anyone know where I can look for more information on warm water and digestion or a book I can get?

I am going to continue to drink warm water daily and see if I continue to not have the reflux.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:47 AM

65,136 posts, read 16,019,703 times
Warm water or hot water is great for your body.I am Chinese and lots of my friends and family members drink hot water.When we go to a restaurant,the waiters bring ice water and we usually tell them to bring hot water. It's better for digestion.Much better.

.....and this is about heart attacks

http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/...ticle-179.html

Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
For the last few days, I have been trying to avoid taking prilosec.

I have acid relux which is caused by having a hiatal hernia. I had saw on the news that acid reducers such as prilosec can cause a person to not absorb calcium which can lead to osteoporosis. Sometimes I can go a day between servings but after 2 days I can start to feel the acid build right back up and have to take the medicine. I had been thinking of what I could do or take in it's place, because I don't want to have osteoporosis. I started limiting the foods I eat and nothing acid based until last night which I had no choice but to make.

My daughter had her friend over who is a vegetarian. The only thing I had to make for dinner for all of us was a baked rigatoni which has cheese and a jar of red vodka sauce and could feel that I had some acid already present in my stomach and figured I would be relying on the medicine when all was said and done.

As I was getting everything ready for the table, I filled everyone's drink with ice water but I had an idea, why not try warm water for me. I had heard a tid bit years ago that if you have digestive issues to try it. Well I did and YES a little miracle occured. I did not have any acid reflux last night at all!

The acid reflux for me has been so bad at night that I have to put several pillows behind my back to have my torso in a sitting position in order to sleep. I usually have to take extra prilosec and not only brush my teeth after taking it and rinsing with listerine, I have to spray my mouth with chloreseptic
in order for the back of my throat to feel some relief. That is how bad it is.

Last night, after I drank the water I could feel that it was working. I had a bad pained feeling from the pasta but then the water started to make it feel better. I went to sleep and woke up refreshed ready to tell of my experience.

I don't really know much about this and tried to find articles online. Anyone know where I can look for more information on warm water and digestion or a book I can get?

I am going to continue to drink warm water daily and see if I continue to not have the reflux.

Thanks in advance.
I would not drink water hot from the tap. I would take cold water and heat it on the stove (NOT MICROWAVE). The reason for this.... Have you ever seen the inside of a water heater?

Apple Cider Vinegar also helps with acid reflux and other digestive problems.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM

65,136 posts, read 16,019,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would not drink water hot from the tap. I would take cold water and heat it on the stove (NOT MICROWAVE). The reason for this.... Have you ever seen the inside of a water heater?

Apple Cider Vinegar also helps with acid reflux and other digestive problems.

20yrsinBranson
I never drank water from the tap

Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,443,210 times
And...are you supposed to wean from Prilosec? I know my dd had reflux badly and when we felt she was doing better, we weaned her meds..not skipped days...That gives her rebound effect...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
This is going to sound crazy, but my grandfather used to mix pecan ash from the smoker with milk as a remedy for indigestion. It sounds like your case is fairly severe, so you may be beyond the scope, but FWIW...

Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,031,908 times
What does FWIW mean? I don't know all computer lingo. I have a filter on my whole water system, I wouldn't drink it if it wasn't filtered.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times
FWIW = for what it's worth

Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,324,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This is going to sound crazy, but my grandfather used to mix pecan ash from the smoker with milk as a remedy for indigestion. It sounds like your case is fairly severe, so you may be beyond the scope, but FWIW...
That makes sense because the ash would counteract the acid like a homemade Tums.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,929,221 times
I take a tablespoon of just plain old vinegar. As the vinegar goes down my asophogis I can feel the pain go away immediately! It works! No purple pill here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness