U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-19-2008, 05:26 PM

7,888 posts, read 14,598,727 times
Cool What is this bump on my finger?

My Doctor told me it was the sack that holds the oily fluid between the joint. Some form of RA. He also told me not to pop it...well last month I did. The fluid felt oily & tasted yecky. Anyway the joint it self doent hurt but the bump does.

Anyone know what I can do to make it go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM

2,434 posts, read 5,465,143 times
Looks like a mucus cyst usually associated with osteoarthritis not rheumatoid arthritis....popping it can lead to a deep infection since this fluid communicates with the joint...

As for the "taste" of the fluid.....I don't even want to go there..

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Well I do have osteoarthritis...Back Knees & hips...well I guess its all over by now.

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

2,434 posts, read 5,465,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I do have osteoarthritis...Back Knees & hips...well I guess its all over by now.
If the cyst is bothering you find a board certified hand surgeon to have it removed....only treatment available for this condition.

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks..I was thinking the same thing after reading about it on the internet....Thanks again!

Unread 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,571,220 times
There's something called "Heberden's nodule" which develops on the last joint of the finger. I have the beginning of arthritis in my hands (osteoarthritis) and I have these bumps on both of my index finger end joint (the one at the end of the finger) at the same spot where your bump is. It was painful at first, but now it isn't. Also, it was softer at first and now it's as hard as bone. Do you also have this on your other index finger? Don't pop it anymore!!! Get yourself to a hand surgeon for professional advice (and if you need one who's really wonderful - and good-looking too - I have one in Baltimore .)

Unread 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM

428 posts, read 1,060,106 times
I am a derm.. here's what it is: a digital mucous cyst. It's more common in people with arthritis of any variety, not necessarily indicative of RA. You can pop it, but NOT with something nonsterile. I give my patients sterile needles to pop it, cautiously drain it, then put antiseptic or antibiotic ointment on it. They can try this 6 or 7 times. If it doesn't work then you can leave it--it's harmless. It may go away on its own. If not and it bothers you, a hand surgeon can remove it.

Hope that is helpful.

P.S. You tasted it??

Unread 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM

Yep I did taste it...you know when you prick yourself & lick it.....Well
I have been on antibiotic for a week for another peoblem...so tonite I poped it again. I am diabetic so I uesd a lancet tio pop it. Well this time it went down a huge drop but still hurts.

Cmacf1...No so far just the 1 bump. If it did not hurt & I did not keep bumping the darn thing I would not care about it being there. Are you planning on having yours removed?

Unread 08-21-2008, 10:51 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,571,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yep I did taste it...you know when you prick yourself & lick it.....Well
I have been on antibiotic for a week for another peoblem...so tonite I poped it again. I am diabetic so I uesd a lancet tio pop it. Well this time it went down a huge drop but still hurts.

Cmacf1...No so far just the 1 bump. If it did not hurt & I did not keep bumping the darn thing I would not care about it being there. Are you planning on having yours removed?
As far as I can tell, my bumps (I have one on each index finger now) are bony so it would be really hard to remove them. I'm going for consultation now for the arthritis to see if there's anything I can do to slow down the onset of this. My hands hurt like crazy (perhaps all this typing doesn't help??)

I think the dermatologist (Mozart above) is correct in what you have. THere's no way I could lance these things on my fingers. Yours looks redder than mine and more defined. I hope it goes away soon!

As a side note to Katie1- my sweet Corgi (and her sister the Malinois) and the rest of the family just got back from Chincoteague Virginia where we vacationed for the week. He was in heaven on the dock watching the tide flow by . His back is much better these days. Gentle exercise and increasing activity seems to have helped.

Unread 08-22-2008, 06:48 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,781,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Looks like a mucus cyst usually associated with osteoarthritis not rheumatoid arthritis....popping it can lead to a deep infection since this fluid communicates with the joint...

As for the "taste" of the fluid.....I don't even want to go there..

Thanks for saying something LOL I was like WTF!!! YOU tasted it? OMG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness