Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,746,296 times

Advertisements

I noticed a small amount of thinning on top of my head a few years back..
And kinda freaked out lol(i was in my late 20's).
Didnt think about it alot until recently when i saw it was a little worse.
Any guys have good results with Rogaine,Shampoo's,DHT blockers?
I know results will vary from person to person.
My hair is super-fine,very thin anyway so that might work against me.
Im willing to spend the money and try some stuff but theres so many..
Products out there.Some guys look ok bald but not me lol i have very..
Strong Features (think Ray Romano).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Many men that start thinning early and get used to it by getting a closer cut. The thinning is not as noticeable if there isn't a lot of the long stuff to compare it with. It's called Male Pattern Baldness and it is a sign of a man with a lot of testosterone.

I understand that one of the problems with stuff like Rogaine is that it diminishes the sex drive. But if you would rather have hair, give it a try. Just remember that sooner or later, Mother Nature will have the last word and you will have less hair than you want.

It happens to all of us, both male and female.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,165,779 times
Bic it to the skin.
It always makes hair come back nicely.
Condition the scalp with organic cold press coconut oil every night before bed.
Just massage a spot in.

This helped my guy quite a bit and it stayed without harsh chemicals.

You may like the bald look too. Never know until you try it!
Make sure you have a few hats though. You are going to get cold at first.

If you cut your hair really short in the thin areas you wont be able to tell if its thin when it grows back. Think of the guy "elliot" from law & order.
Hes kinda balding, but really short hair and has strong features. He looks great.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM

428 posts, read 1,626,516 times
Truly, the only proven products on the market for regrowth of hair are topical Rogaine and oral Propecia. (I am a dermatologist.) Neither of these will ordinarily diminish the sex drive, although any medication can have unusual side effects. Propecia has been reported to cause temporary impotence (like 2-3% of men), although this is supposed to last only a week or two after starting it. Both drugs will stop working if they are discontinued. Not everyone gets a response, but 6 months of trying it will usually give some idea how you will do.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:46 PM

622 posts, read 3,106,951 times
Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner. They have several different stages of them to suit your needs. just follow the guidelines they give and choose your stage. "Treated hair", "Thinning hair" "advanced stage of thinning" etc.. I use stage #1 - thinning. It has been great! That is all I'll ever use for shampoo and conditioner. I used to use rogain and Nizorol etc... but it's too much of a headache/work. I do however take 'propecia' so that adds to the effect of the Nioxin, but i definitely noticed a difference with the shampoo.

Good luck. I wish I started earlier. I found these products too late, but they've pretty much stopped further hairloss. If you've just started seeing signs of thinning, then you should be fine.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks Jersey
I use the Nizoral?for dandruff stuff and its the only thing that works.
I found out that Nizoral also helps with hair loss but they can advertise it for that..
Use.I ll try the Nioxin i have heard of it before.
Someday i might lose my hair but im going fight the fight!
Its not even very noticable at this point.
I wonder how expensive Propecia is?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM

622 posts, read 3,106,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks Jersey
Someday i might lose my hair but im going fight the fight!
Its not even very noticable at this point.
I wonder how expensive Propecia is?

Yep, I wish I started it earlier because it is helping with what little hair I have left. My haircutter says my hair grows very well whenever she cuts my hair. I WISH I could go back to 25 and start this stuff, but oh well. Also remember once you start, you can't stop or all of it is gone. No big deal really if you keep it simple. That's why I stopped all the other stuff and stayed with one shampoo and conditioner plus the finesteride.

The pills are 1mg/day but some people get the 5mg tabs and cut them into 4 pieces because it's cheaper. You need a prescription from a Dr. for these, so that's not really suggested, as the 5mg pills are not for hairloss.

Dutasteride has been shown to work better at hairloss than finesteride, but they are even more money. ouch.

I would start with the least possible stuff you can do to show results, then move up from there if you need to/want to. Why start with five things and could have done one thing to get results. Good luck man! I hate getting bald. I don't have a good 'bald head look' myself. oh well. Hey, at least I'm married. poor wife. lol

Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Yeah,I remember the first time i noticed the thinning.The feeling of panic lol
Im going to try the Rogaine,maybe a Shampoo and a few things that help..
Block DHT..Saw Palmetto,Zinc.
Some guys look ok bald,Im not one of those lol
Lets face it ,its a pretty big deal for alot of guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness