U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,336 times

Advertisements

my big toenail is half yellow and thick and I've tried the store products for fungus and I even went online and bought myocide which is supposed to be a good product but its hasn't made any difference in 3 weeks it said I sould see some sort of change in color in 2 weeks im not sure what to do in this case I thought about seeing a doctor but I wouldn;t know what doctor to go to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,823,324 times
It does sound like a fungus and according to my family doctor, nail fungus is difficult to treat. (Tends to re-occur) Your family doctor would be qualified to discuss and/or treat. It's my understanding than the more effective treatment is an pill, but I think you had to take it for several months and it could possibly damage the liver. So...some doctors probably feel that treating it is more detrimental than not. Again, you should discuss it with your family doc. They may have something new since I discussed it with mine several years ago. You could also see a podiatrist about it, but I would start with your family physician if you have one.

My doctor told me these things get more prevalent with age because your body begins to lose some of it's resistance to fungi apparently. Some statistics say that by the age of 70, half of the population is affected by this.

Last edited by kaykay; 09-12-2008 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,566,723 times
Your internist or family doctor can easily treat this. It's not quick, but it's effective. The medical name for what you have is onychomycosis, a fungal infection of the nail and nail bed. The infection in the nail bed is why topical agents won't work.

There are a number of oral agents used (both approved and not approved for the indication of onychomycosis) for treating this. These include itraconazole, fluconazole and terbinafine. Terbinafine seems to have better efficacy.

The major problem with toe onychomycosis is that the nail is EXTREMELY slow growing. Much slower than fingernails. And until ALL the infected nail is replaced with uninfected nail, the medication must be continued.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 AM

12,172 posts, read 14,915,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Your internist or family doctor can easily treat this. It's not quick, but it's effective. The medical name for what you have is onychomycosis, a fungal infection of the nail and nail bed. The infection in the nail bed is why topical agents won't work.

There are a number of oral agents used (both approved and not approved for the indication of onychomycosis) for treating this. These include itraconazole, fluconazole and terbinafine. Terbinafine seems to have better efficacy.

The major problem with toe onychomycosis is that the nail is EXTREMELY slow growing. Much slower than fingernails. And until ALL the infected nail is replaced with uninfected nail, the medication must be continued.
Is this caused by excess yeast production in the body?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,566,723 times
No. The fungi that cause this infection (and it's caused by yeasts like Candida as well as by molds (Candida is a yeast)) are NORMAL inhabitants of the skin. They sometimes are able to establish a niche in the nail bed, hair shafts, etc. and can infect skin and skin structures (like hairs).

Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,061 times
give it at least a few months before you start seeing a change. it wook me 9 months to get rid of mild onychomycosis on small toe.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM

5,095 posts, read 12,589,713 times
Yes...nail fungus can take a LONG time to go away! So, keep using your cream faithfully. There is an oral medication the doctor can prescribe, but it can cause side-effects....just continue with the creams....if it's not better in a year, then go the oral medication route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness