U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM

15,653 posts, read 15,022,877 times
Default Numbness In Both My Legs!

About 3 weeks ago I noticed numbness in both my legs. It's just above my knees and around to the outer sides of my thighs. The numbness goes up about 4 inches from the knee area. It is consistent but doesn't hurt.

I originally thought it happened when I was painting the house using a ladder and leaning my thigh against the ladder rung but it hasn't gone away.

I checked online but most symptoms do not include "both" legs.

As anyone ever heard of this? I am 42 and also just switched to a generic form of my birth control just in case that helps.

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 PM

8,015 posts, read 15,590,051 times
Best go to the dr & get it checked out!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 PM

6,746 posts, read 11,211,007 times
You could have a bulging disk in your back or any number of problems. Don't dilly dally asking us questions. Go see an actual medical doctor. The hundred bucks you spend now could save you thousands later.

Don't go to the chiropractor or anything else to begin with. Get a diagnosis first and then start asking questions.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks all,

Looks like I need to see my doctor and dentist this month. Yuk!

Lisa

Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,291,771 times
Lets see now, birth control pills have not helped me, oooops, I'm the wrong gender. Kidding aside, I just had spinal surgery (laminectomy) in Aug for numbness etc. Numbness on the thigh is probably from the pressure you placed on the thigh for support on the ladder. If you were to try on your own pressing with a finger tip on your lower back above the tailbone (L4-L5) area, you could recreate a numbness on your thigh as I have done in the past. Lucky for you, it should go away shortly. Nerve pressure is tricky. Steve

Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,223,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You could have a bulging disk in your back or any number of problems. Don't dilly dally asking us questions. Go see an actual medical doctor. The hundred bucks you spend now could save you thousands later.

Don't go to the chiropractor or anything else to begin with. Get a diagnosis first and then start asking questions.
See, and if it were me, I'd probably go for a chiropractic adjustment first and a medical doctor if that didn't work.

Best to get it checked by someone, though!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM

6,746 posts, read 11,211,007 times
From my experience recently, I think both doctors and chiropractors are hit and miss. If a chiropractor tells you he can cure the numbness, it's probably because the numbness is something that will go away on its own without his his help.

Best thing to do is to get a good medical history started asap so if her problems continue, she can get a shortcut to an MRI where they can see what's going on, for real.

And if it's not a spine issue but something like diabetes or a drug reaction, the chiro will be treating the wrong thing.

Best advice is for her to keep after it and not to hesitate in seeking professional advice, if she can get it.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lets see now, birth control pills have not helped me, oooops, I'm the wrong gender. Kidding aside, I just had spinal surgery (laminectomy) in Aug for numbness etc. Numbness on the thigh is probably from the pressure you placed on the thigh for support on the ladder. If you were to try on your own pressing with a finger tip on your lower back above the tailbone (L4-L5) area, you could recreate a numbness on your thigh as I have done in the past. Lucky for you, it should go away shortly. Nerve pressure is tricky. Steve
I hope it is nothing and will go away on it's own. You said to press above the tailbone to recreate the numbness but my numbness is constant. It doesn't go away. Thoughts?

Lisa

Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,291,771 times
The numbness is a nerve problem. As long as there is no PAIN, you should be okay in a while. Click on to Spinal Nerve/Laminectomy/Lumbar etc to get an idea of what there is that might satisfy your curiosity and maybe relax your feelings. Good Luck, Steve

Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,537,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The numbness is a nerve problem. As long as there is no PAIN, you should be okay in a while. Click on to Spinal Nerve/Laminectomy/Lumbar etc to get an idea of what there is that might satisfy your curiosity and maybe relax your feelings. Good Luck, Steve
get it checked out pain or no pain!!! Nerve problems are no laughing matter. I woke up one day and my entire right side was numb. This eventually led to a diagnosis of MS, and with MS if you don't get on treatment early, you can be left with a good amount of disability early on.

The two attacks that I have had that can be attributed to my MS my docs originally told me it was just a pinched nerve (although I had no pain whatsoever) after an MRI, they found 5 lesions and that led to further tests. They did a spinal tap, and found the rings that are common with MS, and with the two previous attacks, the 5 lesions and the spinal rings they were able to get me diagnosed with MS and on treatment asap, which has helped me stay as healthy as anyone else. Think back in your past if you have had any other unexplained numbness, or tingling, loss of hearing or vision, or other unexplained odd things. with MS your symptoms can seem to disappear, and get better, although the damage may remain in your nervous system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness