Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:08 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,989,290 times

Advertisements

Does anyone has issues of depression when the days become shorter due to lack of sunlight? Please advise, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,171,300 times
Hmmm, I don't know if it lack of sunlight or what, but I start getting 'moody' and down as fall approaches. By the end of Feb. I start feeling better, and not so woe is me. Maybe it is all the holidays and all the commercial hype over them. But one good thing is now I am aware that I get like this and it is a lot easier to finds ways to counteract those feelings, and try to find stuff to do or see that are invigorating or enjoyable to me. I think being aware of this feeling is a key to surviving it.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM

201 posts, read 655,332 times
I disliked living in colorado, when it would be dark before I went to work, and then dark again by the time I got off of work (and working in a place with no windows drove me nuts!) so...for the years I lived there, I started taking vitamin d (not advising you to do the same, just saying it worked for me). I managed to stay fairly happy and of course, I sneaked in 15 minutes of sunshine during my lunch

Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 PM

79 posts, read 230,941 times
I've never lived anywhere that didn't have way too much sunshine - except for 2 separate winters in Michigan and one horrid winter in New York. So no, I don't experience seasonal depression; but I know my sister gets it pretty bad. I've always wondered if those full spectrum lights would help?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:02 PM

201 posts, read 655,332 times
My employer (the one without windows who shall remain unnamed), decided to install those in the warehouse for us employees...the light were taken down in a month because nobody liked that the light they emitted was (i kid you not) lime green. Not my cup of tea. Apparently not any of the other employees' either.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Does anyone has issues of depression when the days become shorter due to lack of sunlight? Please advise, thanks
I do big time as i thrive in the Sun and hate winter time.

For me until i can move back to Florida is that i chose my Apartment that faces the south as that's where most of the sunshine comes in and i open all my curtains/blinds so even in winter i'm getting lots of natural Sunlite for most of the day especially the weekends when home.

My last Apt faced west so i only got the sun when it was starting to Sunset as that was depressing to be in a dark place for most of the day. Kinda like a Cave feel to it .

Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 AM

6,624 posts, read 13,497,763 times
I take 1000 mg of Vitamin D a day to make up for the short days of winter.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 AM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
I try to get out and sit in the sunshine in the winter for a few minutes whenever I can. Otherwise, it seems to get to me too.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
I used to get it really bad when I lived in PA. It seemed to get worse after Christmas when I had enough of the dark dreary days. I always said it's not so much that the cold gets to me, it's no sun! I moved to FL and don't get it anymore, that solved thes issue. If you can't move, try to get out when it's sunny, take vacations in the winter, and keep yourself busy. You can try anti-depreesants, but I never did.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,153,665 times
I live in Connecticut, where the winters can be extremely cold and brutal and the summers hot and humid.

I do tend to get a "blue" when the weather restricts me from not want to drive where I'd like to go. Almost like cabin fever. It's dark when you wake up and then dark when you leave the office and go home and night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness