U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:25 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,279,732 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny that many Americans feel that docs should just give their services away. I have seen many stories, articles in the news that say it is not like this in other countries. As a matter of fact, many places around the world don't even do insurance, people pay for their health care out of pocket instead of placing insurance claims and such. Why is it we Americans always think EVERYTHING has to be handed to us??? I love our country, but come on, let's take some responsibility here. If someone gives you a service, just pay for it and why complain?

Slonga, I agree...lets agree to disagree...you must not know someone in the medical field or you would have MUCH more sympathy for that whole field that is living in a mess right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
no the value of money is going down so they charge more.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM

183,764 posts, read 74,960,655 times
My doc office will not let me pay in cash until they find out what is allowed by my insurance provider. Then they bill me the lesser amount. It is true the buck is buying less every single day but at least I have an honest provider. I did not read all the previous posts and am probably missing some input. FWIW, I once was privy to a lot of data while working on updating a medical facility's records. Thousands upon thousands of $'s were written off. If everyone paid then maybe we all would pay less. And yes I'm sure there are some who gouge. Seems like there is a bad apple in every barrel is true even with docs. They get busted and jailed too. At least they do in my neck of the woods.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,372,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I think it's funny that many Americans feel that docs should just give their services away. I have seen many stories, articles in the news that say it is not like this in other countries. As a matter of fact, many places around the world don't even do insurance, people pay for their health care out of pocket instead of placing insurance claims and such. Why is it we Americans always think EVERYTHING has to be handed to us??? I love our country, but come on, let's take some responsibility here. If someone gives you a service, just pay for it and why complain?

Slonga, I agree...lets agree to disagree...you must not know someone in the medical field or you would have MUCH more sympathy for that whole field that is living in a mess right now.

I'm not sure who's saying that doctor visits should be free.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,279,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I'm not sure who's saying that doctor visits should be free.
People that say the medical field should be "nonprofit". That's the oddest thing I've ever heard! So, docs should go to school for 8+ years, then do residency, then possibly a fellowship, then, get a decent job after they are in their 30s just to work nonprofit? Ummm...sorry but no. I'm just arguing a point here!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM

124 posts, read 223,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
mojo - my sympathy is with my neighbor who lost his job last year and his health insurance. He had a serious illness and his has been financially ruined. I see a shattered life in his face whenever I meet him.

So I am not exactly gushing with sympathy when I see the wonders of italian marbling at my Docs office.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM

325 posts, read 2,712,222 times
The medical field is unfairly targeted because it's high profile. Nearly everyone has visited a doctor, seen the charges, and does the math in his head to figure out the income is six figures (by the way, the average physician salary is ~$150,000 IIRC). However, there are countless jobs that earn similar incomes, but no one complains about it. You ask for medicine to be "affordable". Why not ask for computers, or steak dinners, or TVs to be "affordable"? We live in a capitalist society, where every entrepreneurial success story is regaled, except healthcare.

I don't have direct knowledge of the medical field, so I'll talk about my own experience, which is dental. I graduated dental school at age 28 with $140,000 in debt. I then started a dental practice, which set me back another $300,000. So before I even saw one patient, I was already in debt $440,000, more than most houses are worth. The cost of doing business was about 70% --- 70 cents of every dollar the office collected went into paying rent, salaries, supplies, etc. That does not include federal and state taxes, or repaying the loans. I hope this makes it clearer that we have a lot of expenses that people do not take into account.

Insurance companies... unless someone wants more details on insurance companies, I won't go into details. Nomadicus, by contract the office is required to only charge the "negotiated" amount set by the insurance. Thus, they could have collected the amount up front, and settled when the Explanation of Benefits came back. Or do what they did.

Slonga, don't get me wrong. I would love to see everyone have access to quality medical and dental care. I do have sympathy for your friend and people in similar situations, and I do my fair share of volunteer work. As unfair as life has been to your friend, it's similarly unfair to ask a doctor who's invested many years of his/her life and finances to take a huge pay cut. Could a doctor do without Italian tiles? Sure. But just as easily, you could ask 100 of your neighbors to pitch in $100 each, to sacrifice. Will they do it? I'm pretty sure the answer will mostly be no, and that's just $100, not the tens of thousands you're asking a doctor to sacrifice.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 24,188 times
Default Bottome Line

Bottom line here is that I trusted the doc and he took advantage of that relationship. The brace was generic and widely available on the market. I should have been made aware of this and then judged whether or not I benefitted from purchasing it through him.

DOCS SHOULD CHARGE EXTRA FOR THEIR EXPERTISE AND PATIENTS CAN DECIDE IF THEY WANT TO PAY THE ADDITIONAL FREIGHT BASED ON THE DOCS REP AND TENURE. IT IS DECEPTIVE TO HIDE ADDITIONAL FEES THROUGH THE REFERRAL OR SALE OF DME OR PHARMACEUTICALS. THEY DESERVE TO BE WELL COMPENSATED BUT THEIR IS A POINT AT WHICH THE VALUE IS NOT THERE.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

325 posts, read 2,712,222 times
I didn't intend for my post to refer to product sales, as I don't have experience in that.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 24,188 times
Sorry for the double barrell. The medical profession deserves a great deal of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness