Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times

Advertisements

There was a surgeon that had a sinus infection and did not treat it and he died from the sinus infection! So be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I see you live in Colorado. That means it is probably cold and your furnace or what ever you use to heat the house is running alot.
That contributes to sinus problems because the heat removes moisture. My worst sinus problems are in the winter when the heat takes the moisture out of the house and the dry air irritates the sinuses.
I find a humidifier helps some.
And like some have said before, anything that makes steam might help. A vaporizer or even setting pans of water around your source of heat, registers, radiators, etc. will help restore some humidity and might make you feel better.
Thankfully my problems are kinda mild compared to some other people I know. But every little bit helps even for those with more serious discomfort.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:27 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
We began using a humidifier also. Got a small one from a drug store, but we certainly wish we had a larger one. It does help a lot. I would like to find a cast iron kettle someday. Have yet to go looking for one. My husband used to get bad sinus problems and this has helped him, but after years of taking over the counter drugs I went to the health food store and got him XClear, and that really worked for him. He hardly needs it now. I used it the other day and was amazed. It is made with saline and grapefruit seed extract.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
grapefruit seed extract.

I am hearing alot of good things bout gse lately...not to go off topic here, just wanted to add this and mention that its good for alot of things, so i am hearing lately!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I use antibiotics and a sinus irragator, and also those nose stips to help open the nasal passage to make breathing easier. I also use 4-way Saline Moisturizing Mist with Eucalptol and Menthol. That really helps keep the sinuse passages moist, and the menthol helps the breathing too.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 AM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
If you have persistent sinus infections, you should visit an ENT physician. You could be a candidate for sinus surgey, and get rid of these problems

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I had for about a 2 yr period developed sinus infections compiled with ear infections. The Dr's would give me the meds and would clear it up for about 3 months or so and if would come back I went through this for about a yr.

I finally did some research on sinus infections and found information pertaining to the fact that some sinus infections are resistant and need to be on antibiotics for a longer period of time to clear it up.

So I believe I was on antibiotics for at least a month to 6 weeks and WOW gone...... I then went on allergy medicine I am now on Zyrtec and have not had a sinus infection for years.........

The Dr's were talking about surgery when I was going through my sinus bout.... I said lets try the longer antibiotic and I really had to push for the extended time but it worked.
So maybe you have the resistant kind too.

Ice bags filled with hot water on the face work well also, saline rinse ( I used in shower )
I also would use eucalyptus oil essential oil this also works well for small children and babies. Because you are not giving the medicine to the children.
But it sure gets things draining if you do not have a essential oil burner then just get an older pan and put some water in it and put it on your stove. It will fill your house with the smell.
Good Luck...
I know sinus infections are horrible especially if the headache is involved I remember that I could not even think when the headaches would come on I would get them right in the middle of my fore head.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:31 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
my sinuses start attacking me every time i get on a plane. just flew back from Nashville and feel horrible. is there any way to prevent the sinus drainage when flying? ugh. i have to start flying some for work and I just can't face possible chunks of 2008 consisting of nothing but being sick.

i have a humidifier but apparently i was running it too much because I managed to start growing some mold in a corner of my apartment , and if i start running it again it starts growing back. so any tips on humidifiers also?

ok, I'm going to lay back in bed.

p.s. doctor is not an option, i am not insured and i'm not racking up hospital/doctor bills because of a stupid sinus problem.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
If I had a really bad sinsus infection I would go to the doctor and get antibiotics, but if I had sinsus problems I basically us XClear from a health food store. It has grapeseed extract in it. Sometimes if I want to break through it even more I used Sinsus Buster. Purchased on line, but it is has chili in it, and so it really stings for a while, but your nose will run.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Just wondering, I have had trouble with sinus infections, and wonder if anyone out there has any good remedies to help out until I can get in tomorrow at 2:30pm, it has been a bad day, sneeze all the time, cough, sinus pain and pressure, neck pain, and just feeling like crap.
Please give me what you got, so that I may get some sleep tonight. Thanks!!!
I would seriously think about nasal irrigation. You should implement nasal irrigation into your daily routine for the best results. You can read more about nasal irrigation at this website infectionsnomore.blogspot.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness