Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, I have had trouble with sinus infections, and wonder if anyone out there has any good remedies to help out until I can get in tomorrow at 2:30pm, it has been a bad day, sneeze all the time, cough, sinus pain and pressure, neck pain, and just feeling like crap.
Please give me what you got, so that I may get some sleep tonight. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
If you snort a little water up into your nose and throw your head back for it to get into your sinuses it will loosen whatever's in there. They sell some sort of nasal irrigation vessel at the store. It's something new but the above works well too.

Massage your neck. The nerves there control what goes on in your sinuses. Press firmly with your finger where your eyebrows are closest to your nose and again at the top of your cheek bone and to the side of the base of your nose. Then completely relax your face for it to drain. My chiro taught me this and it works.

Short of that I always found a warm washcloth applied to the face to help.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Saltwater Saline spray in your nostrils. You can buy it over the counter or make one at home w/ warm water and salt. Gargle w/ it too to help your throat. Hubby likes Tylenol Allergy/Sinus but it has been changed now. Sudafed is for sinuses also and benedryl or actifed for the allergy part. Prop your head up in bed and don't lay on your back or sleep in a chair. Go in the bathroom and close the door and run a hot shower, you don't have to be in the shower but you want the steam.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Just wondering, I have had trouble with sinus infections, and wonder if anyone out there has any good remedies to help out until I can get in tomorrow at 2:30pm, it has been a bad day, sneeze all the time, cough, sinus pain and pressure, neck pain, and just feeling like crap.
Please give me what you got, so that I may get some sleep tonight. Thanks!!!
Yorkie, well you should definitely call your doctor. In the meantime if you are not allergic Advil Cold and Sinus is the best thing for the pain. A humidifier in your room will also help and drink lots and lots of water. You should probably get a decongestant from your Doctor but in the meantime, you can probably take Mucinex that is what my Doc always recommends. I also use saline nasal sprays. YOu should definitely check with your doctor. The medicine I mentioned when taken too long can lead to more congestion. Go figure!!! You can also inhale steam from a vaporizer or a hot cup of water to soothe inflammation. Feel better.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
Thank you everyone, I will give some of it a try. I do have a doctors appt tomorrow at 2:30 so I need to last until then. If my doctor would have been in today I could of had him call meds in for me.
He knows my history so I never have to go in, I call and say what is wrong and then he sends a fax over to my drug store for me, and then I can even have them brought to my house if I don't want to go out in the cold.
I get Azithromycin when I get this crap, because if I don't get my meds then it turns into pneumonia, and I don't need that. I made this appt. long ago because I quit smoking and wanted a check up, so as long as I have the appt. I might as well have him check out this infection while I am in there.
Thank you everyone for your help, I am going to go and give some of this a try, if I can't sleep, then I guess I will get back on here, other wise I will talk to you all tomorrow. Have a good night and thanks again. This Minnestoa weather is to cold!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 02-08-2007 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: typo to sick to think!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Forgot to mention the obvious, chicken soup. The steam loosens things up and the nutrients help with the healing.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:48 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Yorkie Mom.....I don't know how often you get them but years ago I would have a sinus infection every couple months. If you do get them often, I would see a doctor and have them x-ray your sinus area. I ended up having surgery that was not fun but haven't had an infection since. There could be a problem there that causes the infections you need to take care of. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I make ginger and lemon "tea".

Just boil water and pour over fresh sliced ginger and a few slices of lemon. Let steep for a minute or two, then strain.

Like the others said, I think the steam helps clear congestion. The hot liquid feels good on sore throats too.

Hope you feel better!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
I'll second rapture's advice. I too had reoccuring sinus infection,
to a point that the meds just wern't cutting it.
After rinoplasy surgeryfour years ago, I can say that I haven't
had a head cold or any sinus troubles.
All the best.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
I have been plagued by sinus infections for the past 10 years. I use to average 4-5 a year. OTC and Prescript sprays and decongestants do nothing for me. A day into my sinus infections I typically have a raw nose, bloody sinuses, etc. But I tell you what does work wonders for me. I take 3/4 ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it a glass of grape juice (or apple juice). Nothing has even come close to how great this stuff works. Drink it every 4-6 hours. You will be amazed. make no mistake, the stuff taste terrible, but you'll thank me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness