U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
my brother (an agnostic) did well with the AA program, so McGowdogs' comments are more negative than the experiences we had
We all come from different backgrounds. You can be an Atheist and get AA. You'll see that fact on one of my crazy posts in here. You can also be a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, etc. and get it. The reason is because Alcohol doesn't care. It's so polite that it's not racist or stuck-up whatsoever. It will take you as you are.

You can choose God Is Nothing and go on with the steps. Or you can choose God is Everything and go on with the steps. But the important thing is that whatever you have now is obviously not working.

Alcohol beat me into a state of reasonableness. It made me open-minded about spiritual concepts.

But it's true. There are all kinds out there. AA isn't the only way! There are many paths. Here's the real kicker for alcoholics; Alcohol is NOT the problem. It's merely a symptom. Trip on that for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM

3,869 posts, read 7,419,016 times
It might. Usually drug stores and health food stores sell them in individual containers. They could be available in cases, but if so they will be very expensive. Usually they are at least $8 a bottle.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I had to make a decision for health reasons a number of years ago that I couldn't drink anymore; but I'd always been a light weight drinker anyway. Two drinks and I was "under the table" so that was the most I'd ever had. I always paid for drinking because (for me) alcohol triggers severe migraines lasting at least 2-3 days. It took me many years to figure that out; and it's really changed my life for the better.

You can still have a good time even if you can't drink. At first you may feel a bit strange ordering a soda; but just keep in mind that your health is at stake. I can go out with friends and have as much fun as anyone drinking now; so don't think you have to give up your social life.

My brother is a severe alcoholic and he stayed with us last year so I went through Al-Anon while he was here going through 3 months of daily AA meetings. He has developed a seizure disorder and was told that if her drinks again, he will probably die. I found Al-Anon very helpful; my brother (an agnostic) did well with the AA program, so McGowdogs' comments are more negative than the experiences we had.

As far as loose cannons' comments about milk thistle; well, it's your life and your decision to make as to which is more important. I don't know enough about milk thistle; but consider that the "sneak a few drinks" comment is talking about endangering your life. The only one who you would be
"sneaking" around is yourself.

Good luck.

I was always a lightweight too. I have had my moments and after suffering a TIA last year I had to make some changes. I have theorized that maybe my drinking habits contributed to my condition, but drs I spoke to said that can't be proven. I thought that maybe I had some liver damage but I was told at the hospital that nothing signifigant or chronic was detected. Still I have cut back immenseley. Being on Toprol XL/metoprolol figures into that. I usually drink no more than 2 pints once or twice a week. If I am allowed to stop taking medication which could happen since my blood pressure is great these days I may pick it up a little.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I have top admit I miss it sometimes. When I have sat in the bar with friends there have been times when I wished I could stay and also accept the shot that Johnny wanted to buy me. But, I know I can't. I make my quick exit and go home to take a nap.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
It might. Usually drug stores and health food stores sell them in individual containers. They could be available in cases, but if so they will be very expensive. Usually they are at least $8 a bottle.
What a deal!

My dad, McGowdad, says "There's a baby in every bottle."

How about taking the milk thistle and NOT sneaking in the booze?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM

A part of me is looking forward to a day when I can walk into a bar again just throw caution to the wind, pound beers, drink some shots, load up the jukebox with dollars, schmooz the ladies, and dance. It will not be a regular occurrence but I will do this again someday. Not now though. My friday drs appointment will tell me more.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Sux, don't it? The more sober I get, the less I like being about the rat-race.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM

959 posts, read 2,070,078 times
Thanks for the responses.

JenLee, thanks very much--I know someday I'll be able to have fun again but right now--it does suck. Time should help heal my head; I'm mature enough to have been through a few crises/tragedies and time works but man. Right now, this is some funky stuff to think about.

loose c--what the heck is milk thistle and how does it work? I'm not super optimistic about herbal stuff.

I think I should be looking at this in a more positive light but at the moment--I am doing every rationalization there is--thinking misdiagnosis, future cures, very light alcohol intake every blue moon--yadda, yadda. I think perhaps McGowdog has it right about the symptom stuff.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM

I guarantee you this; if you have a problem with drinking alcohol, you never have to drink again. That's a fact.

You do this crazy treatment and you'll not even want to drink again. That's the miracle of it.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM

638 posts, read 2,801,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I guarantee you this; if you have a problem with drinking alcohol, you never have to drink again. That's a fact.

You do this crazy treatment and you'll not even want to drink again. That's the miracle of it.
Are you saying that AA is crazy treatment? I'm a bit lost here.

When I stated earlier that what you had first posted about AA was more negative than our experience; I meant that AA and Al-Anon were very positive experiences for both my brother and myself. Then your next post sounded like you were saying AA works for you too.

I earned my 1 year medallion in Al-Anon this past May; my brother had a relapse (and more seizures) so he's back working on the 6 month medallion again.

Our motto is "Life is a journey. We take it one step at a time, and one day at a time." Alaskagrl, sometimes it's easier to deal with the day to day positives than looking at your future all at once. We don't know what lies ahead, but we can all deal with what's just on todays' agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness