Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times

Advertisements

Your posts continue to be helpful and reading them is food for my own thoughts about my situation.

I've made up my mind that no matter what any doctor said, the risks aren't worth drinking again--I won't say forever in my head but I think for at least a year is do-able. Then I'll re-evaluate my health, both physical and mental, and go from there.

I love life way too much to do anything to consciously endanger it at my age. 'Course, I expect my smoking habits will probably increase, but I'll try to keep that moderate, too.

I've decided self-pity is bs. I'm sure I'll have my moments; but this weekend I was able to kick my depression long enough to clean the heck out of myself, buy a gas grill to cook my wild food on, and watch a couple good movies. Not much but I feel better this week, at least a bit.

Hope everyone here is feeling OK at the beginning of the week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
I don't know how open you are to taking supplements etc., but it might be worth reading this and trying some of the suggestions.

Pancreatitis Treatment: The Dangers of Pancreatitis and Beneficial Remedies That Speed Healing (http://www.naturalhealthontheweb.com/pancreatitis/treatment.html - broken link)

Best of luck to you!

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I like the idea of that, along with not drinking alcohol, good rest, excercise, and nuitrition. Makes sense.

Smoking is not good for one of the types of pancreatitis. They claim the two types to be acute and chronic. I'd say based on what that says and what I've seen in people with pancreatitis, there's hope either way if you take care of yourself.

So this guy on that site doesn't like prescription pills. Some would argue this, but not me.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info and everything else.

Doing well so far and just trying not to get too depressed.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Alaskagrl, this s going to be a great week for you. You are a strong person and the main thing is that you are choosing to live over the alcohol.

If you are having some issues with depression, definitely talk with your doctor; also your spiritual leader/pastor/mentor; and maybe a close friend and see what comes of these talks. Maybe just the talking with others close to you may help you through this time; maybe you are grieving for either something you perceive as a loss or a weakness; maybe it is something that you may need more help with (such as counseling, etc) to work through a depression right now.

Just be aware that there are people out here in the world who are thinking about you and have been in your shoes before and are wishing you the best in life is yet to come (and you won't need the booze to be your friend anymore).

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the post JenLee.

Last night I made a salmon dinner and invited a friend over, then played a game of chess, all while drinkin' cranberry juice. It was so much better than sitting there by myself, brooding and watching endless TV, so I think you are absolutely right when you said talk to others. I used to pride myself on being perfectly happy alone--well, I wasn't really that alone, cause I always had some beer or other booze around.

Even doing little tasks with someone else around (cooking, cleaning a few fish like last night) drives the depression out, at least for a while, and I'm not thinking so incessantly about drinking and my whole situation.

I made a list last night of types of people I'm doing better than and it put me in my place...not individuals, but people that, say, are terminally ill; people who have dibilitating disabilities, old or ill people who can't be independant anymore, --I mean, what am I really bitching about? Waaaa, I can't drink? I need to get over myself. I'm still pretty darn healthy, got some nice stuff to play with--crap, I need to realize how lucky and fortunate I still am!

'Course, I have moments like that and then moments of black despair and self pity--but I think I know some tricks to deal with that now--everyone on here (esp. McGowdog) has been so much more helpful with that than I ever thought possible. Thanks for telling me to get off my azz. It works.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
There is life after alcohol. Most people think they have to drink to have fun....little do they know the fun is being made at them!
I have been around alcoholics and it seems to me they all need a wake up call to quit, or to even think about quitting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
Good luck Alaska......you are very fortunate to have a choice to a healthier road ahead. It might be a little bumpy but it will not be a road less traveled!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
I hope you had a good weekend and things are going well, Alaskagrl.

Making a list of others less fortunate may or may not be healthy for you; but going out and helping someone who is less fortunate will definitely help.

Do take care of yourself; don't dwell on the fact you can't drink; think of all the wonderful things you can do!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Perhaps this can help others dealing with alcohol issues...

I have been sober for about 2 months now, ever since my doctor gave me the news about my pancreatitis (OP).

I would like to say that I did it first on my own, cold turkey, with no outside help--just because I was afraid of dying/medical problems. It was HORRIBLE. I felt such depression, feelings of the futility of everything, uselessness, thoughts of death, and anger. I would never wish this on anyone.

When I started talking to people, McGow first and then others, I started feeling a bit better. Then, I decided to throw away the anti-depressants the doctor had given me; I felt like they made it worse. (This is only my solution--not a prescription for everyone).

Now, I am going to AA and reading the Big Book. It is really starting to make sense to me, even the spiritual stuff, and I was/am very anti-Religion.

I'm not supposed to preach at anyone, and I'm not--I'll just say that for anyone suffering alcohol issues out there, whether they've affected your physical or mental health, there is hope; you can feel good and happy again. Relief from the awful depression does come but I believe you have to work at it, every day--for me it means doing little things to distract myself every day--working out is huge, as it physically and mentally helps relieve depression. For me it also means trying to help other people/do random small acts of kindness. This gives me a feeling of good satisfaction that is hard to beat.

Anyway, I wanted to share that. In my OP I was so sorry for myself at the horrible medical news. I felt as if life would never be the same/worth living without drinking...and I was in denial; making up reasons the doctor could be wrong, etc. I wanted people to see that because of others who have been in the same boat, I am having hope for a better existence and I'm not so afraid that it won't include alcohol. I'm actually starting to think it may be so much better than I ever imagined.

Take care out there! And thanks for all the support on CityData. It's awesome!!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 24,565 times
Alaskaglr: It works if ya work it. And kuto's for putting this OP on here. More women have this then they know. Best Wishes.
Kathrine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness