Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 26,420 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I was officially diagnosed with acute in November after suffering for a number of years. I am just now starting to learn more about and I am glad I have found others that are going through the same thing. The worst part is, I'm 24 years old. I had been drinking every day since I was 17 and started drinking when I was 15. Not looking for sympathy by any means (as it is self-induced), but just some people to ask questions too.

Thanks,
jv010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Acute? I assume you mean acute pancreatitis?

I'm no doctor, but I'm what you might call a self-diagnosed alcoholic. I don't care who knows, so long as I never forget.

If you're not an alcoholic, perhaps you can choose to just not drink alcohol. Surely that would be your first step to a long and happy life. If you're a hard drinker, the decision is not an easy one, but if it's about life and death, no brainer, right? Now if you're a real alcoholic, total abstainence is the only way and now you've got a real challenge on your hands. The nature of a real alcoholic is to be on a bar stool or somewhere drinking. The earmarks are this:
  • Can't control the amount once you start and
  • Can't stay stopped based on what's necessary (warning of a doctor, boss, spouse, child, etc.)
But there's hope. If you're a real alcoholic AND you want to quit for good and all... I'd recommend the 12 step solution. I'm no expert on it and I don't speak for it as I can't... but I just celebrated 5 years.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,337 times
Default Hi

Hi,
thanks for the information.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-30-2009 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: No links/recommendations with under 10 posts

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv010 View Post
Hi-

I was officially diagnosed with acute in November after suffering for a number of years. I am just now starting to learn more about and I am glad I have found others that are going through the same thing. The worst part is, I'm 24 years old. I had been drinking every day since I was 17 and started drinking when I was 15. Not looking for sympathy by any means (as it is self-induced), but just some people to ask questions too.

Thanks,
jv010
[b]well i am sorry to hear that... Very sorry... I am 23 and this yr. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis i have had it three times and i just dont understand.. But i guess there could be worse things but still 23 and cant drink anymore i mean wow how did this happen!!!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-30-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Removed email...

Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,041 times
I am 21yo and has an attack of acute pancreatitis a couple of weeks ago. I never drunk HUGE amounts, less than 10units a week average but then on special occasions such as weddings and birthdays i would get very merry. I actually had part of my pancreas necrose and i was in hospital on IV's for 5 days. I am still recovering from bloating and pain now but i am finding it difficult to think about never drinking again in my lifetime. All those moments missed, all those jokes missed. I know i am pathetic because it is such a simple choice to make but i am considering starting to drink socially again once FULLY recovered (if that actually exists with AP). I just thought i would vent really, share my story because you guys seem like a great bunch.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Thx 4 bumping this up. Sorry about your condition at such a young age.

I wonder how AlaskaGrl is doing now.

If you can get straightened out with medicine/science, great! If you need addtional help staying off the booze in the mean time, get it.

There are three current schools of thought I've been able to differentiate; a spiritual approach, a support group approach and a psychological approach... or maybe some combination there of.

Hope you get the pancreas fixed up first though, either way.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Thanks. You know, I never considered myself an alcoholic, though I was perfectly able to admit I liked alcohol a lot and probably drank too much. Now that I may have to abstain "forever" I feel almost as if I've lost a good friend. Perhaps that signifies a bit of self-denial about my use level in the past, so it may be "all for the best."

Still, I'm very effing depressed about it at the moment--I will tell you, it actually is comforting to know I'm not alone...maybe AA would help me cope in the beginning, whether or not I feel as if I was an alcoholic.

I don't want to go on anti-depressents (though my doctor recommended them and prescribed me one)--any ideas on that twist to the plot??
Thanks for the responses.

Anti-depressants can do just as much damage as the alchohol if not careful . Hope you can find another way to cope like socializing . But then I'm no dr. and don't know a lot about your situation .

Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,973 times
i had acute pancreatitis due to alcohol.. and i am getting bored now, and depression

Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Alcohol is processed by the human body as glucose. A potent carbohydrate a shot or one beer is processed from a much larger amount of food sources including grain, wheat and water. In addition, alcohol behaves like a protein in the body as well as a central nervous system depressant. Alcohol is "seen" by the body as food. Not just an ordinary tuna on wheat but a super duper dose of quick dose absolutely the best food a person could ever have. That is the reason that you want more and the reason that people cannot stop. The body demands that same food over and over again. The best way to deal with it is to recognize that you will feel that you really want a drink but to teach yourself that the reason you do want it is that your body thinks it's food. Actually alcohol is a poison to many organ systems and that is why at such a young age the cells in your pancreas became inflamed. Pancreatitis kills people with high fevers and severe dehydration so don't be thinking you can keep drinking. A healthy diet high is fresh fruit and good bread is the initial way to curtail and in your case to stop.

Many adults myself included have to make changes in our lives to sustain health. It is a good choice and you are wise enough to make this choice.

Believe me, the last place you want to be is the critical care unit fighting for your life with alcohol issues. It is not pretty.

Good luck. =)

Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Go to a bar at 1:45 am some night and take a survey of the folks there... right before they make their "Last Calls" and see how many of them would like to "choose" to have some fruit instead of their Tennessee whiskeys and their pitchers of draft.

Some people drink booze because they like to get boofy-blitzed. Some people don't and never ever will. I don't understand the later. I do understand the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness