U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,609,641 times

Advertisements

People diagnosed with pancreatitis can never drink again or they will die. It may not happen the first time or second but I've seen it and the people don't believe they can't drink anymore. That if they do they will die. Please if you've been diagnosed don't drink anymore; it will kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
If you're just a hard drinker or an acute pancreatitis sufferer... and not a real alcoholic... this is great advice.

But for the real alcoholic, this advice is what we recovered alcoholics call "frothy emotional appeal"... which seldom suffices.

That's my personal experience anyway. To just try to "not drink anymore" for reasons such as health (mental, physical, spiritual, etc.), to save a marriage, job, relationships of whatever kind, etc., is to imply control.

If you can keep yourself sober on need, necessity, want, desire, thought control, etc., do it. If that's not working and you need some kind of drastic help... such as the dreaded... spiritual help, DM me. I'll talk about God and 12 step program, so be forewarned.

But like I say, it works for me. If you have an easier/better way, do it!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
People diagnosed with pancreatitis can never drink again or they will die. It may not happen the first time or second but I've seen it and the people don't believe they can't drink anymore. That if they do they will die. Please if you've been diagnosed don't drink anymore; it will kill you.
Its great advice. The problem is some people die at 29, then some like the ex can go thru divorces, car accidents and health issues still be alive at 50 and get addicted to something else, like painkillers...

I went to al-anon and it did help. I tried. he will never stop. Eventually one has to change inside, and the alcoholic either decides to stop, or continue the repeated mistakes. Others have to extract themselves from it. It is a choice. ...It is scary how some are affected so young, and others go on for decades in denial. The genetic factor is part of it, it seems like some people can and do stop, while others never will.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 3,609,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its great advice. The problem is some people die at 29, then some like the ex can go thru divorces, car accidents and health issues still be alive at 50 and get addicted to something else, like painkillers...

I went to al-anon and it did help. I tried. he will never stop. Eventually one has to change inside, and the alcoholic either decides to stop, or continue the repeated mistakes. Others have to extract themselves from it. It is a choice. ...It is scary how some are affected so young, and others go on for decades in denial. The genetic factor is part of it, it seems like some people can and do stop, while others never will.
But that's the sheer depth of acute pancreatitis. It won't wait; it will kill you when triggered by alcohol. It no longer becomes an addictive concern but one of life and death. There is no other alternative to the people diagnosed with a true acute pancreatitis - they must stop or they will die.

The diagnosis carries no age discrimination. Though I don't know the stats on age it hits all age groups. It's just that when one gets that diagnosis that's it; if you drink your body will shut down and a horrible painful experience awaits.

The lasts time I talked to a person diagnosed this way she was about 42, very pretty and successful. The denial she had was astounding. She could not believe that if she keeps on drinking that she would physically die. She believed it was some type of trick from us to get her to quit drinking. She passed 2 months later. There's that invincibility factor that the younger people have.

With acute pancreatitis there is no longer a choice whether to curb the drinking or whatever bargaining chip people come up with; it's the end of the road with no place to go but sobriety for life death.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM

959 posts, read 2,070,078 times
Default Update on me...and my pancreas

Hi McGow, and others that have been posting here lately.

Wow, I had no idea pancreatitis could hit people as young as 21, that aren't hard-core drinkers.

In my case, I am an alcoholic, and I'm not ashamed of it...because I'm now a "recovering" alkie, since my pancreatitis 2 years ago and since I began posting on here. I discovered my local AA, and am going regularly. Once I accepted that all my feelings of loss over not being able to drink again were likely alcoholic, and examined myself honestly, the messages of AA came pouring through. Tell you what, that stuff WORKS. It really does, if and only if you let it in.

Folks, cannot tell you how awesome my life is and how the changes became so positive from when I first came to City-Data.

I am living a full, rewarding life, with a job I love, great friends, adventures, and love galore. I am still single but no longer lonely about that fact often. I am doing things on my weekend, instead of sleeping in with a hangover. I feel privileged and blessed to be here, active, healthy, and feeling so good. I try to busy myself helping others, and it works. It goes beyond just "working"...I am living on a new plane of exisitence and I rarely think about drinking. When I do, I can give the thought a little "push", get busy doing something else, and all is well.

There is such joy to be had in life. If you have gotten pancreatitis due to alcohol and you have been told to give it up, whether you're an alkie or not...I promise you, it ain't that bad. Life is good, so go out there and LIVE IT!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,087,914 times
How did you first come to the realization that you have pancreatitis? I had a few bad episodes which I just wrote off as anxiety attacks however, I'm not entirely sure what happened. I suppose I diagnosed myself without bringing up the other symptoms of what happened to me.

First some background info. For years I was a very heavy drinker and this was even when surrounding myself by other hardcore drinkers. I would routinely drink large amounts such as an entire fifth myself in the timespan of one evening. I would also smoke sometimes a pack or more everytime I had a drinking episode. This would happen three or four times a week for the better part of a decade. I had a few times where I took off for 6 months to a year but overall I would say I spent more days **** drunk than sober.

So there I was after a three day drinking binge and I suddenly felt light headed, anxious, and just generally like crap. My stomach had a very light feeling of pain but I just wrote it off to not eating much the last few days. I ended up calling 911 and getting an IV full of fluids. They simply checked my urine and allowed me to leave the hospital after my heart rate returned to normal.

I thought it was a fluke and a few days later downed a bottle of Jagermeister followed by drinking some beers. The next day I had a hungover feeling like normal but my stomach was in pretty constant pain and I was having shortness of breath. I downed a vitamin and was pounding water in the fetal position for about twelve hours in the bathroom, determined to fight it off without help. At times it felt like something in my lower stomach was going to explode but I wasn't really sure what was going on. I wrote this off as another anxiety attack and gave up drinking for almost a year.

I have drank heavily a few times this last year but I started getting a light pain again in my stomach during hangovers and stopped. I have had thousands of hangovers and these last few were nothing like I have ever experienced. I know liver pain and this wasn't it but it was definitely something else in my stomach region.

Does any of this sound like it could be pancreatitis? I haven't had a drink in months but is there some way to check for it? Should I have myself checked out or was this probably a panic attack? I will also note the first time I went to the hospital I was fairly calm but it felt like my body was going into shock. Not sure what was happening exactly. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM

242 posts, read 224,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Hi McGow, and others that have been posting here lately.

Wow, I had no idea pancreatitis could hit people as young as 21, that aren't hard-core drinkers.

In my case, I am an alcoholic, and I'm not ashamed of it...because I'm now a "recovering" alkie, since my pancreatitis 2 years ago and since I began posting on here. I discovered my local AA, and am going regularly. Once I accepted that all my feelings of loss over not being able to drink again were likely alcoholic, and examined myself honestly, the messages of AA came pouring through. Tell you what, that stuff WORKS. It really does, if and only if you let it in.

Folks, cannot tell you how awesome my life is and how the changes became so positive from when I first came to City-Data.

I am living a full, rewarding life, with a job I love, great friends, adventures, and love galore. I am still single but no longer lonely about that fact often. I am doing things on my weekend, instead of sleeping in with a hangover. I feel privileged and blessed to be here, active, healthy, and feeling so good. I try to busy myself helping others, and it works. It goes beyond just "working"...I am living on a new plane of exisitence and I rarely think about drinking. When I do, I can give the thought a little "push", get busy doing something else, and all is well.

There is such joy to be had in life. If you have gotten pancreatitis due to alcohol and you have been told to give it up, whether you're an alkie or not...I promise you, it ain't that bad. Life is good, so go out there and LIVE IT!!
+1,000,000 for such an inspirational, well thought out post that sounds like it came straight from the heart.

I am very glad that you overcame your demons.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM

959 posts, read 2,070,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
How did you first come to the realization that you have pancreatitis? I had a few bad episodes which I just wrote off as anxiety attacks however, I'm not entirely sure what happened. I suppose I diagnosed myself without bringing up the other symptoms of what happened to me.

First some background info. For years I was a very heavy drinker and this was even when surrounding myself by other hardcore drinkers. I would routinely drink large amounts such as an entire fifth myself in the timespan of one evening. I would also smoke sometimes a pack or more everytime I had a drinking episode. This would happen three or four times a week for the better part of a decade. I had a few times where I took off for 6 months to a year but overall I would say I spent more days **** drunk than sober.

So there I was after a three day drinking binge and I suddenly felt light headed, anxious, and just generally like crap. My stomach had a very light feeling of pain but I just wrote it off to not eating much the last few days. I ended up calling 911 and getting an IV full of fluids. They simply checked my urine and allowed me to leave the hospital after my heart rate returned to normal.

I thought it was a fluke and a few days later downed a bottle of Jagermeister followed by drinking some beers. The next day I had a hungover feeling like normal but my stomach was in pretty constant pain and I was having shortness of breath. I downed a vitamin and was pounding water in the fetal position for about twelve hours in the bathroom, determined to fight it off without help. At times it felt like something in my lower stomach was going to explode but I wasn't really sure what was going on. I wrote this off as another anxiety attack and gave up drinking for almost a year.

I have drank heavily a few times this last year but I started getting a light pain again in my stomach during hangovers and stopped. I have had thousands of hangovers and these last few were nothing like I have ever experienced. I know liver pain and this wasn't it but it was definitely something else in my stomach region.

Does any of this sound like it could be pancreatitis? I haven't had a drink in months but is there some way to check for it? Should I have myself checked out or was this probably a panic attack? I will also note the first time I went to the hospital I was fairly calm but it felt like my body was going into shock. Not sure what was happening exactly. Thanks.
Sounds pretty much like what I experienced. I drank heavily, then even more heavily, for a decade plus, ever since I was 21 and could drink at will. When I was 31 (10 yrs seems to avg. for people who are heavy drinkers to get this thing, though there are plenty of exceptions), I woke up one morning thinking I had a hangover and a touch of flu. My gut hurt in no identifiable way but it wasn't normal, and it was laced with sweats, chills, strong anxiety and a general "wierd" feeling. I sweated it out, didn't drink for a couple days, then had 3 drinks one night. I woke up in the morning with the pain again...not HORRIBLE pain, mind you, but worse than flu, and in the left lower side of my torse, mainly. I kind of knew right then that my drinking days might be over. What has to happen to diagnose for pancreatitis is they test your Lipase and Amylase...starches and sugar I believe, in your blood. It is pretty foolproof--if one or both of these are significantly higher than normal, you probably have pancreatitis. Each time your pancreas gets inflamed, you risk permanent organ damage, developing diabetes, and organ failure, leading to toxicity and many times, death. All they can really do for you is give you IV fluids and painkillers. To eat or drink anything while in the midst of an attack makes it worse and more painful. Many people spend days in the hospital. I was lucky in that my pancreatitis subsided rather quickly and an ultrasound showed no permanent damage.

According to my doc, who specialized in internal medicine, once your pancreas develops this sensitivity to alcohol, it's never the same again. You may NOT develop it again the next time you drink, but eventually if you keep on, you will. The reasons for alcohol sensitivity in the pancreas are not well-understood, even today. And that comes with a serious risk of death or facing a life of almost constant pain as you try to "manage" your damaged organ--eating and drinking can cause pain for the rest of your life, in some cases. Sound like fun????? NO!!! Stop drinking. It is NOT worth it, I promise you. Life can be so amazing without booze. Anyone can feel free to send me a PM too if they want more info. I like sharing my story; it keeps me happily sober to share something that might help someone else.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,087,914 times
Good information. I have really cut back drinking the last few years since this scare happened but I wanted to know if I could even drink in moderation. For example a few beers once a week. Can doctors still check with this test to see if my pancreas have developed that sensitivity? Or since its been a couple years since I had an episode does that mean it may appear normal now? I would like to know if I should quit or not before doing something that may send me to an early grave.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,507 times
I am seeking for information regarding my children's father! We have been seperated for 4 years now and he has struggled with alcohol and drug issue's every since meaning one of several reasons for the seperation not so much alcohol at the time more like perscription drugs which alcohol has followed behind closely! He has been hospitalized quite a few times now for pancreas problems but refuses to give me any current information, it has been maybe 6 months since the last time he was in the hospital now, but they have kept him in for weeks at a time which i did visit and he was the color of squash! The main battle lies with the safety of my children who are now 8 & 5 critical age with a memory that will stick with them if put in a situation that will depress or even stress them out which has already happened in the past with me trying to trust him with the kids! I am on a mission to research as much as possible please respond if you can help with the following question:
-Is pancreatitis something that has to be monitored for the rest of you life? or Is alcohol or drugs the reason for it to reoccur?
The reason for this is I got a call last night saying the ambulance was at his house again and my kids are court ordered to visit today for only 3 hours today he has no overnight visits ever! When I spoke with him this morning he confirmed he was having problems again with his pancreas and has a doctors appt. today at 1:15! Any answers from all of you would be appreciated! My main concern is my children's safety and his health as well! Could this be a life threatening situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness