Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

169 posts, read 675,324 times

Advertisements

For anyone in the know...

My 2y 4m old daughter just started stuttering, out of the blue.
Same day she was diagnosed with strep throat - don't know if it's a coincidence or if there's any relationship.

She's aware of it and did say several times "mommy, my words". She has the most difficulty with words starting with W, Y and I, M to a lesser extent.
She only stumbles on the first syllable, the rest of the sentence is clear, as in "I-I-I-I-I want to go get my step stool" or Wa-wa-wa-wa-watermelon please.

I did read it be fairly common and may go away but can persist for 6 to 12 months.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

58 posts, read 138,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post

Same day she was diagnosed with strep throat - don't know if it's a coincidence or if there's any relationship.

She's aware of it and did say several times "mommy, my words". She has the most difficulty with words starting with W, Y and I, M to a lesser extent.
She only stumbles on the first syllable, the rest of the sentence is clear, as in "I-I-I-I-I want to go get my step stool" or Wa-wa-wa-wa-watermelon please.

I did read it be fairly common and may go away but can persist for 6 to 12 months.

Any suggestions?
I am a 25 year old stuttering adult male. I also started when I was a toddler as many stutters' do. Many children will correct the speech pattern (stuttering) by age 3 - 3 1/2. Since she is 2y 4m I would only wait 6 months before getting her treatment (speech therapy). Statistics show the long you wait, the less likelihood of eliminating the speech impediment. For example if a child continue to stutter at age 6-8 there is a 1% chance of elimination. Hopefully, she will improve her speech or stop within 6 months. However, if she does not, go to a speech therapist! You need a professional! I recieved most of my help from a speech professor in college. Do not depend on grade school! And please do not try to help her yourself (this is what also happened to me, and will only make her speech worst). The help is worth it. My parents did not want to pay for something that seem so minor. Now I can tell them the daily struggles I have to go through that 99% of the population does not have to worry about (only 1% of the US population stutters). Simple things like phone calls, interviews, presentations, everything that involves talking. I have been rejected and have personally passed up great life opportunites because of my speech. Also, it is hard on social life and I was humiliated as a child and adult (but worst as child). But neither here nor there...this is what I would do.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post

Any suggestions?
My son did this. Do not make it a big deal. But when she starts to stutter just say honey wow you talk so fast mommy/daddy could not understand what you just said. Make her speak slowly and she should stop at some point. It worked for my child anyways. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness