U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why are people with less severe symptoms than yourself labeled as loafers?,rather pompous of you.

Reading all these posts on poor medical treatment in some cases and long waits is a bit of a surprise to this Canadian as thats usually the rap our Canadian Universal health care gets,seems to me our experiences with the medical profession are very similar,only difference is....

Uh, because it is called an EMERGENCY ROOM...............not an Illegal Alien Primary Care Room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,274,306 times
As an Emergency Room RN, all I can say is "Which part of EMERGENCY do you not understand?"

Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
My local E.R. is the Mayo Clinic. My only experience was an elderly neighbor with chest pains. First class all the way. But then.... It's the Mayo Clinic.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
It wasn't that long ago that the ER was your only option at night or on weekends. Now, I avoid it as much as possible, but our local one hasn't been too bad.

One thing I no longer do is go to the ER for suspected broken bones. They always refer you to an orthopedist anyway, who then takes his own xrays even if I bring the ones from the ER. I've never had to wait for an appointment at the orthopedist either.

The longest wait I have ever had in an ER was in FL, at Disney. There are lots of elderly there, and I understand why they were seen before my son with an asthma attack, but after 7 hours I let them know we were leaving. They gave me a very hard time about taking my son, telling me that he may have had pneumonia, and they needed to do xrays. I told them we had to catch a plane home, and I was pretty sure we could be at our pediatrician faster than he would be seen there.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,878,435 times
I live in south-central Wisconsin, and at one point or another over the past decade, I've visited the emergency room probably 8 or 10 times, most of the visits as guardian of my elderly father in his final few years of life. As his health gradually diminished, the assisted living facility where he was living at the time would call the ambulance and send him off to the hospital at the drop of a hat, which I guess is understandable enough. Each time he was brought in, he was promptly taken back and examined with compassion and gentleness. Usually he'd be discharged with some new prescriptions and/or referrals, although on a few occasions he was admitted.

I also had an ER experience with my son once when he was about 16 or 17. I got the call at work that every parent dreads: "hi, Mrs. BookWorm, this is the school nurse at ____ High School, I'm here with your son, the ambulance is on the way, which hospital would you like us to send him to?" Boy, do your priorities change in a hurry at those words! I told her to send him to the teaching/research hospital at the university where they have the best trauma facilities, tossed the unfinished report on my boss's desk, and drove like a bat out of a hot place to the hospital, arriving about 5 minutes before the ambulance did. They brought him in strapped to a back board, neck brace in place, IV going, intubated, and believe you me, there was a crash team around him working frantically even as they wheeled the stretcher down the hall. Those docs and nurses were amazing. The kid was fine, by the way; a buddy of his was horsing around and did a couple of stupid things resulting in an unfortunate concatenation of circumstances, but he made a full and swift recovery.

I do have to wonder if competition has a beneficial effect on patient care in an ER. I live in a city of about 225K people, and there are three major hospitals, including the teaching/research hospital mentioned above, plus a large VA hospital, all within a couple of miles of the center of the city, so people have plenty to choose from here. There are also a number of urgent-care clinics in the area. I imagine it might be more likely for an ER to be dysfunctional if it is located in the only hospital for hundreds of miles around.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
Been there many times with family and friends, unfortunately.

1) Filthy dens of staph
2) Inept, bored technicians who tell jokes while your friend or family is dying
3) Unnecessary waits . . . talking HOURS UPON HOURS. They don't think to ask if your friend or family may be diabetic, in which case they need to actually eat every few hours (you are offered nothing to eat or drink in ER's)
4) Doctors with "God syndrome" who could care less what actually happens to the patient
5) Nurses who are bored out-of-their-minds, and have absolutely no compassion for family members who have to sit there for several hours (they should at least fake compassion)

Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh, because it is called an EMERGENCY ROOM...............not an Illegal Alien Primary Care Room.

So any one else in an emergency room other than yourself is an illegal alien?

Maybe they are just ordinary American people like yourself who have their own medical emergency.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Yes--three times as the patient and numerous other times as the visitor. I've never had a good experience in an ER.

The first time was after I had significant vision loss. I was in there for 10 hours just to get a CAT scan and then an MRI. They had me thinking I had a blood clot in my visual cortex for about 8 hours only to find it was a CAT scan mess-up and that in fact I had a visual pathway disturbance that was non-structural (no tumor, blood-clot, etc.) It was really a scary experience because ER's are so noisy. I could hear all this beeping and people talking and the lights were incredibly bright (and my eyes are VERY light sensitive.) The woman next to me was also freaking out cause she was scared she would "go blind" cause she had conjunctivitis in one eye. Didn't help since I was actually going blind and my neighbor was being melodramatic because she had a minor infection of her conjunctiva.

Second time was when I got pulled into the ER without my knowledge or consent when I was deaf-blind. I got pushed and shoved around in all sorts of directions despite the fact I kept insisting there was some misunderstanding and I was not meant to be there. I got my blood tested and everything. Then when I got to the doctor he asked how I couldn't know that I was in the emergency room when there was a huge sign that said "EMERGENCY ROOM" out front. I asked him if he could see my blind cane or was he blind too?

Third time was when I broke 3 fingers and almost lost my pinky. I was made to wait 3 hours for a detached pinky. This was when I was totally deaf-blind so I was completely freaking out about losing a finger. Well, they didn't seem to care. I had no pain medications and no medical attention for those 3 hours. Well maybe they were just busy--right? Nope. My wife was with me and she told me that all the doctors were standing around the phone waiting around. Then she went outside to get in touch with my parents so I was left alone. I didn't know what was going on cause I didn't have an interpreter. I was finally given morphine and tetanus shots in my hip, which was the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life. (I had severe chronic pain in my sacrum/hip area.) I was literally writhing in pain. Then they finally sewed my finger back on. Luckily it did get saved, but I honestly think it's because I was praying to God and doing energy work the whole time to save it.

I've been to the ER when my grandfather had a stroke and when my roommate got sick to his stomach. Both times I was treated like I wasn't a real person. People would ignore me and would reach over me and invade my personal space like I wasn't there. They refused to talked to me even though I gave them three methods of communication: braille card, computer, print-on-palm. I had to call home via relay to get them to call the hospital to yell at the staff and tell them they better talk to me and only then did they communicate with me a minimum amount just to give me minimal information ("he won't die").

Of course, they never provided me an interpreter any of the times I was there, either as a patient or as a visitor. One time when I checked back into the E.R. to get my hand re-dressed (they had dressed it in a way it put pressure on my broken bones and hurt like h.ll) my grandma came along to communicate with me, but other than that I was left in the dark without any idea of what was going on, with no warning when something cold would touch my skin or when I would be injected etc.

Needless to say, I hate the ER. ER staff in my experience are so rude to patients with disabilities. It's not everyone, and no hard feelings if you work in the ER, but overall ER staff have zero bedside manners and absolutely no sense of obligation to provide disabled patients with proper, legally-required accommodations.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Been there many times with family and friends, unfortunately.

1) Filthy dens of staph
2) Inept, bored technicians who tell jokes while your friend or family is dying
3) Unnecessary waits . . . talking HOURS UPON HOURS. They don't think to ask if your friend or family may be diabetic, in which case they need to actually eat every few hours (you are offered nothing to eat or drink in ER's)
4) Doctors with "God syndrome" who could care less what actually happens to the patient
5) Nurses who are bored out-of-their-minds, and have absolutely no compassion for family members who have to sit there for several hours (they should at least fake compassion)
You summed it up quite nicely here.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The news media is full of stories about Hospital Emergency Rooms and the incredible waits very sick and injured people have in these facilities. It seems like a large number of people using the Emergency Rooms are illegal aliens and others without insurance for routine care.

What has been your experience visiting Hospital Emergency Rooms? was the wait and chaos as advertised?
Have been several times for my entire family at one time or another. It seems even when barely anyone is waiting, there is always a long wait. Most times the care was good. One time an emergency Dr. had me in tears giving me the wrong diagnosis that I carried with me until I went for a second opinion. It is a necessary evil and I am glad it is available, but I hate the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness