U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times

Advertisements

In our local paper this past Sunday there was an article on flu shots.
4 times more seniors over 65 have been getting the flu shot than 30 years ago.
BUT...the death rate and hospitalization rate is still the same as it was 30 years ago.

something to think about.

My husband is 50, never had the flu shot and never had the flu.

Last year I had the flu shot and came down with the flu...I was given Tamiflu and it worked like a charm. I was very impressed on how well it worked.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 12:33 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
I saw a special on them giving it to kids...They didnt like it but they didnt seem to mind. FYI sometimes the shots have live ones in it and you actually get the flu.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,631,357 times
my 2 y/o just got the flu mist yesterday. so nice not to have to deal w/ needles for once. he didn't show any adverse affects, but never has with other shots. my DH are AF vets and were required to get numerous immunizations. both of us haven't come down w/ the flu because of the shot and when i hear about folks (and it's just a few) who do, i have to wonder was it really the shot or is it something else? but that's just me thinking aloud.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Because of these findings, the CDC now recommends that women who will be pregnant during the flu season get the flu shot (3). The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) concurs with this recommendation (4). Check your calendar. If your pregnancy overlaps with the flu season (usually late November through March), you should get a flu shot. This is especially the case if you’ll be in the second or third trimester (past 13 weeks) during the flu season.
God help the pregnant women.

My doctors say they would NEVER administer a flu shot to a pregnant woman.

Less than 10% of women polled (I can't remember how many asked, like 1200) said they would NOT get this flu shot while pregnant.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
God help the pregnant women.

My doctors say they would NEVER administer a flu shot to a pregnant woman.

Less than 10% of women polled (I can't remember how many asked, like 1200) said they would NOT get this flu shot while pregnant.
Your "doctors" are chiropractors Mod cut: not necessaryin a nursing home...exactly how many pregnant women are they coming in contact with??

Why would anyone see a chiropractor regarding vaccines??

I seriously doubt you "polled" 1200 women, but it is encouraging that 90% of them would get the flu shot

Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your "doctors" are chiropractors Mod cut: not necessaryin a nursing home...exactly how many pregnant women are they coming in contact with??

Why would anyone see a chiropractor regarding vaccines??

I seriously doubt you "polled" 1200 women, but it is encouraging that 90% of them would get the flu shot

Mod cut: personal attack. Unfortunite because it affects the way people view all of your posts.

My brother is a Chiro DOCTOR, I have a chiro for me and my daughter who is a DOCTOR and I have two friends who are chiros and are doctors as well.

Those are not the ones I speak of. I work mainly in a nursing home but I work with doctors at Stroger Hospital. I am training there actually. A few of the doctors who come to the nursing home also work with pregnant women.

I was referring to a poll I read. The poll was in a Chicago Paper.

I did find this article. It doesn't support the "less than 10%" for Chicago but it says 6% say they would definitely have it and 48% said no..

Half of all pregnant women will refuse swine flu jab, poll reveals | Society | guardian.co.uk

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-17-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 AM

10,177 posts, read 10,538,351 times
Does the mist carry all of the bad chemicals (mercury, etc) found in the flu shot?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Does the mist carry all of the bad chemicals (mercury, etc) found in the flu shot?
Flumist does not contain thimerosal

Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Definitely no worries about passing along the virus to someone else. Flumist has been formulated so that it can't replicate in your nose and won't give you the flu. Also, it can not be passed on to others. I have spoken with an infectious disease doctor who works at St. Jude's hospital for children with cancer - they give it to their employees there because it is more effective and can't be passed to their high-risk patients.

I would definitely recommend Flumist!

According to my Doctor, it can't cause you to get the flu, but it can contribute to making you sick because it can decrease your immune abilities temporarily while your body responds to the live virus. They (The military) make us get the flu mist unless we are sick, pregnant, or have immunsupressed family...in those cases we get the shot. I HATE HATE HATE HATE the flu mist. It is so nasty. You suck it up your nose, and it runs down your throat into your mouth...and yes, you can taste it. I have had it three years in a row and want to vomit all day.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,187 times
Flumist does contain MSG as and ingredient, so if you are allergic or sensitive to MSG(monosodiumglutamate) I would not recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness