U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM

39 posts, read 135,998 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting the flumist instead of shot. It is supposed to work 50% better than the shot because it is a live virus. My only worry is I am scared of actually catching the flu from it(since it is live). I know you cant catch flu from shot since virus is not active, but I dont like the idea of it not working as well. Does anyone know anything about flumist. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,552,366 times
Here is what the CDC says: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: The Nasal-Spray Flu Vaccine (Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine [LAIV])

I personally have never heard of it until now, but when I read "flu mist" I just imagined the doctors put a person with the flu in front of you and they sneeze in your face.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:58 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,844,735 times
You can transmit the live flu virus to others if you have flumist. So that would mean that you should avoid being around pregnant women, small children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised for some time after the flumist.... I guess it depends what your occupation is and what types of people you work with/are around all day.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:40 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,144,848 times
You may want to check with your doc if this is indicated for you, and second with your insurance company to see if they would pay for it. I used to work for an insurance company and at that time, it was covered only for infants and the elderly. I don't know if things have changed since then.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You can transmit the live flu virus to others if you have flumist. So that would mean that you should avoid being around pregnant women, small children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised for some time after the flumist.... I guess it depends what your occupation is and what types of people you work with/are around all day.
Chances of it making the person taking it sick are very slim (it is a very very weakened strain), and chances of making someone else sick by assosiation are even more rare. During flu season everyone is constantly in contact with the strong full blown strain of flu, so there chances of getting it are higher just going to the grocery store or anywhere in public for that matter, than being in cotact with someone who had flumist.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 PM

I spoke with Doctor today actually so I am just relaying the info on what I was told. So I have no worries anymore about getting it. I am pregnant right now so I obviouslly have to wait. But in a couple months I will be getting it for sure.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,767,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
I spoke with Doctor today actually so I am just relaying the info on what I was told. So I have no worries anymore about getting it. I am pregnant right now so I obviouslly have to wait. But in a couple months I will be getting it for sure.
Because of these findings, the CDC now recommends that women who will be pregnant during the flu season get the flu shot (3). The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) concurs with this recommendation (4). Check your calendar. If your pregnancy overlaps with the flu season (usually late November through March), you should get a flu shot. This is especially the case if you’ll be in the second or third trimester (past 13 weeks) during the flu season.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:16 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
Chances of it making the person taking it sick are very slim (it is a very very weakened strain), and chances of making someone else sick by assosiation are even more rare. During flu season everyone is constantly in contact with the strong full blown strain of flu, so there chances of getting it are higher just going to the grocery store or anywhere in public for that matter, than being in cotact with someone who had flumist.
Definitely no worries about passing along the virus to someone else. Flumist has been formulated so that it can't replicate in your nose and won't give you the flu. Also, it can not be passed on to others. I have spoken with an infectious disease doctor who works at St. Jude's hospital for children with cancer - they give it to their employees there because it is more effective and can't be passed to their high-risk patients.

I would definitely recommend Flumist!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,767,266 times
It still takes time for the vaccine to be fully effective. I've read that it takes at least one to two weeks. Sooner than that, you could still get the flu and be out for awhile.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 7,085 times
My wife and I just had the flu mist 30 minutes ago so I can comment on the procedure and what it feels like.

I am 40 and have never heard a flu shot (Californian in Texas). She is 33 and has had flu shots in school in Japan, but never a flu mist.

They used a very small inhaler type mist tube, and told us to just breath in like smelling a flower when they said "1 - 2 - 3 - mist". It doesn't hurt at all, it's not uncomfortable at all and I was surprised that you can't even taste anything. My left nostril was first and I could not feel anything much. When he did the right nostril I could feel the mist liquid that time. My wife felt the same that it was extremely easy.

When we left we could feel it in our throats just a little bit but it was not annoying or anything. Totally super easy. I don't like needles, but will start to get a mist like that every year now.

We went to a local clinic and paid $42 cash walk in with no insurance. The flu shot was $45 so the mist was actually cheaper.

So to those of you concerned about how it feels or how easy it is, it's a piece of cake and you got nothing to worry about. Took less than 60 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness