U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times

Advertisements

Just to support bluedevilz: for pharma companies the vaccine business is a LOW return and HIGH risk (read LIABILITY) part of the business. But they continue to manufacture vaccines because of the public good they deliver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Actually, if you look at the data, the smallpox and polio diseases were declining before the vaccines were introduced. So while vaccines probably sped up the process, and undoubtedly saved many lives during that time, it's doubtful that they'd be running rampant today if it were not for the vaccines.

Tetanus is not a contagious disease, so someone not getting their tetanus shot is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

Shingles is also not a contagious disease in the normal sense... once you have chickenpox (or get the varicella vaccine), you have the virus living in your body, ready to be awakened at any time. So again, people not getting their shingles vaccine is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

By getting the vaccines, you may or may not be actually preventing disease (they're not as effective as your doctor might lead you to believe), and you may or may not be putting yourself at risk for other illnesses (they are also not as safe as your doctor might lead you to believe). I don't think scare tactics on either end do anything more than make the opposing side roll their eyes, though. Most likely, you are not going to drop dead from pertussis or measles or tetanus, and most likely you are not going to drop dead from the pertussis or measles or tetanus vaccines. It's kind of an iffy proposition no matter which way you go.

No

Polio was "not in decline" before the vaccine was developed. The disease did peak in 1952, 3 years before the development of the vaccine, but it was still running at about its "average" of 15-18,000 new cases per year. The decline after the institution of the vaccine program was rapid and undeniably one of the greatest public health successes of the 20th century. Ditto for smallpox....one of the greatest scourges of pathogenic disease eradicated UNDENIABLY through WORLDWIDE vaccination programs.

Also, as far as dropping dead from tetanus...if you are not vaccinated and develop tetanus....mortality overall is around 40%.

The majority of vaccines that the average adult would get....diptheria, measles, pertussis, tetanus, possibly Hep B....are also, undeniably effective....

Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
Does anyone know....what are all the vaccines that we need to get again as adults? I know some of the childood vaccines we get do not give lifelong immunity. I am not sure which ones though. I am going in for physical next week, and am wanting to get up to date on all my shots along with the physical, so I only have to pay one copay. Anyways, any info would be great.
Back to the original point...

Here is a good resource for vaccine schedules, page 2 has a nice diagram showing recommended vaccines by age...
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm5641-Immunization.pdf

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
Default no vax

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Adults should get no vaccines. Children should not get vaccines. Do not believe the Big Pharma hype!

THANK YOU!! AMEN!! the gov't is in bed w/ pharmaceutical companies, & they'll both scare you b/c they know they have the power to, but YOU should know that you have the power to do what's best for your body. trust me - if you read the product inserts from the manufacturer's website, & go from there (be resourceful) - you'll think twice.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times
Your doctor will be able to tell you what you need based on your age, health, ect. I have had the Hep B series and keep up with the DTP. Make sure it's got the Pertussis in there now with it coming back.

You could have your titres run to see if you are immune to other diseases.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,445,520 times
Yes, have your titers done. I just had mine done today for a new job...

Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,654,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Actually, if you look at the data, the smallpox and polio diseases were declining before the vaccines were introduced. So while vaccines probably sped up the process, and undoubtedly saved many lives during that time, it's doubtful that they'd be running rampant today if it were not for the vaccines.

Tetanus is not a contagious disease, so someone not getting their tetanus shot is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

Shingles is also not a contagious disease in the normal sense... once you have chickenpox (or get the varicella vaccine), you have the virus living in your body, ready to be awakened at any time. So again, people not getting their shingles vaccine is not going to allow disease to run rampant.

By getting the vaccines, you may or may not be actually preventing disease (they're not as effective as your doctor might lead you to believe), and you may or may not be putting yourself at risk for other illnesses (they are also not as safe as your doctor might lead you to believe). I don't think scare tactics on either end do anything more than make the opposing side roll their eyes, though. Most likely, you are not going to drop dead from pertussis or measles or tetanus, and most likely you are not going to drop dead from the pertussis or measles or tetanus vaccines. It's kind of an iffy proposition no matter which way you go.

Some of you out there can debate this data all you want, but this post is 100% true! It WAS declining!

Some vaccines are not necessary at all! There are a few that may do some good, but the benifits do NOT outway the risks for some.

Actually, please, those of you who ''believe" vaccines are safe and work, go on and keep taking them; there is no talking sense into you.

I do however understand that some people who work in hospital settings or teachers/caregivers of elderly and small children should do their part of having vaccines, since they have a much larger chance of being vectors of disease.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,654,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No

Polio was "not in decline" before the vaccine was developed. The disease did peak in 1952, 3 years before the development of the vaccine, but it was still running at about its "average" of 15-18,000 new cases per year. The decline after the institution of the vaccine program was rapid and undeniably one of the greatest public health successes of the 20th century. Ditto for smallpox....one of the greatest scourges of pathogenic disease eradicated UNDENIABLY through WORLDWIDE vaccination programs.

Also, as far as dropping dead from tetanus...if you are not vaccinated and develop tetanus....mortality overall is around 40%.

The majority of vaccines that the average adult would get....diptheria, measles, pertussis, tetanus, possibly Hep B....are also, undeniably effective....

YES YES YES YES it WAS:

Polio

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,322,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Just to support bluedevilz: for pharma companies the vaccine business is a LOW return and HIGH risk (read LIABILITY) part of the business. But they continue to manufacture vaccines because of the public good they deliver.

Pharm companies and public good should never be used in the same sentence. After making billions off treating sick ppl instead of trying to cure them they decide we can have vaccines to help prevent us from getting sick? How kind they are, I guess thats there way for making up for there autrocities...lmao...I would not be surprised if they put cancer cells in those vaccines

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Pharm companies and public good should never be used in the same sentence. After making billions off treating sick ppl instead of trying to cure them they decide we can have vaccines to help prevent us from getting sick? How kind they are, I guess thats there way for making up for there autrocities...lmao...I would not be surprised if they put cancer cells in those vaccines
Oh please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness