U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:33 AM

3,702 posts, read 15,925,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Texas "requires" this vaccine for girls entering 6th grade. I put requires in quotes because anyone can opt out of having their children vaccinated by completing the proper paperwork. Unfortunately, they don't inform parents that they do have a choice in the matter. Many parent trust doctors and the government have our childrens' best interest in mind, when sadly that is not always the case.

Texas orders STD vaccine for all girls - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Hearing about these horrible experiences makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry for all the girls who are suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.
No, Texas does NOT REQUIRE this vaccine. It was discussed, but the legislature never passed this because of the public outcry about potential side effects (rightfully it would appear).
Here are the Texas required vaccinations:
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tl oc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=25&pt=1&ch=97&rl=63

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 AM

12,429 posts, read 14,559,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's a tough decision to make, I think. You have to weigh the risks to your own children and decide which is the least harmful risk:

Side effects for Gardasil (or Ceravix - Gardasil isn't the only vaccine).

Or knowing that at least 2 out of your 5 daughters will contract HPV at some point in their lives, and that HPV is the *primary* (not the only) cause of cervical cancer.

So - you want to risk your daughters going through cervical cancer? Or you want to risk the side effects of the vaccine.

You're risking their lives, either way you do it. There is no simple solution yet. Hopefully some day there will.
Merck openly admits that they don't know if guardacil will actually prevent cancer at all...as the incubation period is typically at least 10-15 years....I'm wondering why our young teens(some not even teens yet) are being given a vaccine for a cancer that is EXTREMELY rare in women under 20....there were absolutely NO cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the us between 1998 and 2002 in that age group.......Merck DOESN'T KNOW how long the "vaccine" lasts.Gardasil offers NO protection for 11 strains of hpv that also have links to cervical cancer.............In studies offered to the fda in Mercks application for approval, data indicated that guardasil may actually INCREASE your daughters risk of developing cervical cancer if she has one of the relevant strains of hpv at the time of vaccination.................cervical cancer usually hits women OVER 40., and regular pap smears (and a digene hpv test if proven suspicious) is really the best we can get................

Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Merck openly admits that they don't know if guardacil will actually prevent cancer at all...as the incubation period is typically at least 10-15 years....I'm wondering why our young teens(some not even teens yet) are being given a vaccine for a cancer that is EXTREMELY rare in women under 20....there were absolutely NO cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the us between 1998 and 2002 in that age group.......Merck DOESN'T KNOW how long the "vaccine" lasts.Gardasil offers NO protection for 11 strains of hpv that also have links to cervical cancer.............In studies offered to the fda in Mercks application for approval, data indicated that guardasil may actually INCREASE your daughters risk of developing cervical cancer if she has one of the relevant strains of hpv at the time of vaccination.................cervical cancer usually hits women OVER 40., and regular pap smears (and a digene hpv test if proven suspicious) is really the best we can get................
It isn't a vaccine for a cancer. Merck isn't "admitting" that they don't know if gardasil prevents cancer or not. Merck clearly STATES that gardasil is not created to prevent cancer. It's not an admission, there is no accusation made. Gardasil was developed to prevent specific strains of HPV virus. NOT cancer.

HPV is a virus that is known to cause cancer. Merck knows that the vaccine is good for -at least- 4.5 years. I had cervical cancer at age 30, as a direct result of HPV virus, which I probably had contracted prior to meeting my husband. Pap smears are NOT a preventative measure. Pap smears will show if you *already have* unusual cervical cells, or if you do not. That is all a pap does, and all it's intended to do. If your pap shows abnormal cells, and further testing shows HPV, then it's already too late - you already have HPV. If a pap shows no abnormalities at all, then you might STILL be infected, and just haven't manifested the abnormal cells yet. And you won't know you have abnormal cells, for another year. Or longer. And by that time, it's too late.

Gardasil protects against HPV. Gardasil does NOT prevent cancer. You can still get cervical cancer, because HPV IS NOT THE ONLY CAUSE OF CANCER.

I'm not sure why this fact is not reaching your brain.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM

HappeeMommee...I don't think Canada will be able to do any more for your daughter than the care she's getting in the US......My prayers are with you and your family...

Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Just an interesting tidbit from the CDCs very own website......In 90% of cases.....HPV is cleared away naturally by the bodys immune system within 2 years......Most people with HPV do not develope symptoms or health problems from it.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,805,025 times
Quote:
It isn't a vaccine for a cancer. Merck isn't "admitting" that they don't know if gardasil prevents cancer or not. Merck clearly STATES that gardasil is not created to prevent cancer. It's not an admission, there is no accusation made. Gardasil was developed to prevent specific strains of HPV virus. NOT cancer.

HPV is a virus that is known to cause cancer. Merck knows that the vaccine is good for -at least- 4.5 years. I had cervical cancer at age 30, as a direct result of HPV virus, which I probably had contracted prior to meeting my husband. Pap smears are NOT a preventative measure. Pap smears will show if you *already have* unusual cervical cells, or if you do not. That is all a pap does, and all it's intended to do. If your pap shows abnormal cells, and further testing shows HPV, then it's already too late - you already have HPV. If a pap shows no abnormalities at all, then you might STILL be infected, and just haven't manifested the abnormal cells yet. And you won't know you have abnormal cells, for another year. Or longer. And by that time, it's too late.

Gardasil protects against HPV. Gardasil does NOT prevent cancer. You can still get cervical cancer, because HPV IS NOT THE ONLY CAUSE OF CANCER.

without being rude---the correct answer is giardisil is effective in preventing only some of the many hpv viruses

Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
without being rude---the correct answer is giardisil is effective in preventing only some of the many hpv viruses
Thankyou auntieannie!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:

Anon....I usually agree with you but the fact is Gardasil IS marketed as an anti-cancer vaccine...

I mean that is the whole point of the vaccine and why the excitement over it in many circles.

From Merck's own website:

GARDASIL also helps protect girls and young women ages 9 to 26 against 70% of vaginal cancer cases and up to 50% of vulvar cancer cases.

What is GARDASIL® [Human Papillomavirus Quadrivalent (Types 6, 11, 16, and 18) Vaccine, Recombinant]?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Merck openly admits that they don't know if guardacil will actually prevent cancer at all...as the incubation period is typically at least 10-15 years...

The long incubation period for cervical cancer is the reason that Pap smears have been the most successful cancer screening tool ever. However, the Pap is not used to diagnose cancer. It is used to identify a precancerous condition known as dysplasia. If higher grades of dysplasia are diagnosed, this can lead to biopsies, which are painful, and sometimes to cervical scarring which can cause fertility problems: difficulty getting pregnant or problems with weakening of the cervix and second trimester pregnancy loss.

Cervical dysplasia - PubMed Health

"Most cases of cervical dysplasia occur in women ages 25 - 35, although it can develop at any age."

The HPV vaccine has been shown to decrease the risk of developing cervical dysplasia:

Quadrivalent vaccine against human papillomavirus ... [N Engl J Med. 2007] - PubMed result

"In young women who had not been previously infected with HPV-16 or HPV-18, those in the vaccine group had a significantly lower occurrence of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia related to HPV-16 or HPV-18 than did those in the placebo group."

ttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647284

"Quadrivalent HPV vaccine provided sustained protection against low grade lesions attributable to vaccine HPV types (6, 11, 16, and 18) and a substantial reduction in the burden of these diseases through 42 months of follow-up."

Since we know that treating dysplasia reduces the risk of dwveloping cancer, the implication is that the vaccine, by preventing dysplasia, will reduce the risk of cancer.

The vaccine also protects against the majority of genital wart infections. Although warts are not cancers, they cause discomfort and can be difficult to treat. Not all warts will go away without treatment.

Also, please note that cervical cancer is not the only consideration. HPV is also responsible for vaginal, vulvar, and anal cancers and some head and neck cancers.

Quote:
I'm wondering why our young teens(some not even teens yet) are being given a vaccine for a cancer that is EXTREMELY rare in women under 20....there were absolutely NO cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the us between 1998 and 2002 in that age group....

The vaccine must be given before the recipient has become sexually active in order to be effective. That is why it is given at the recommended age, not in order to prevent cancer in that age group.

Quote:
Merck DOESN'T KNOW how long the "vaccine" lasts.Gardasil offers NO protection for 11 strains of hpv that also have links to cervical cancer.............In studies offered to the fda in Mercks application for approval, data indicated that guardasil may actually INCREASE your daughters risk of developing cervical cancer if she has one of the relevant strains of hpv at the time of vaccination.................cervical cancer usually hits women OVER 40., and regular pap smears (and a digene hpv test if proven suspicious) is really the best we can get................
Please give the source for your statement that Gardasil may increase the risk of cervical cancer in women already infected with HPV. I can find nothing to substantiate that claim.

See here:

Medscape: Medscape Access

And here:

Gardasil vaccine may protect women from post-surgical recurrence of cervical cancer

"A vaccine designed to prevent cervical cancer also may protect females from post-surgical recurrence of the disease, according to researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).A new study shows that the Gardasil vaccine reduces the likelihood of human papillomavirus (HPV)-related disease recurring after teen and adult women already have had surgery to remove cancer or certain pre-cancerous changes, said Warner Huh, M.D., an associate professor in the UAB Division of Gynecologic Oncology and lead presenter on the study."

The argument that Merck does not know how long the protection from Gardasil will last is spurious. Monitoring is ongoing. You cannot know if the vaccine will "last" more years than it has been available, for goodness sake!

As of 2009, protection was shown to last an average of 8.5 years:

Studies Of GARDASIL(R), Merck's Cervical Cancer Vaccine, And HPV 16 Vaccine Component Of GARDASIL Presented At International Papillomavirus Conference

As to the age at diagnosis of cervical cancer:

Cancer of the Cervix Uteri - SEER Stat Fact Sheets

"From 2004-2008, the median age at diagnosis for cancer of the cervix uteri was 48 years of age3. Approximately 0.2% were diagnosed under age 20; 14.3% between 20 and 34; 25.8% between 35 and 44; 23.9% between 45 and 54; 16.4% between 55 and 64; 10.6% between 65 and 74; 6.4% between 75 and 84; and 2.5% 85+ years of age."

"From 2003-2007, the median age at death for cancer of the cervix uteri was 57 years of age4. Approximately 0.0% died under age 20; 5.1% between 20 and 34."

So cervical cancer is rare in teens, but not non-existent.There may not have been deaths, but I wonder if the treatment rendered those diagnosed before age 20 infertile, which is highly likely. And a significant number of cases and deaths occur in women under the age of 40.

Last, Pap smears have both false negatives (missing a significant abnormality) and false positives (finding an abnormality when there is not one). The former can lead to a missed diagnosis of dysplasia or cancer. The latter can lead to unnecessary testing and stress for the patient.

Pap smears are still needed after receiving the vaccine, but the risk of an abnormal smear goes way down. This means fewer biopsies and folowup tests and less pain and worry for the patient.

The best scenario is vaccination combined with regular Pap smears (and HPV testing) as a safety net to catch the abnormalities related to strains of HPV not included in the vaccine.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
This is common knowledge. It is effective in preventing only certain strains of HPV, and in particular, the ones that are -most- likely to cause cervical cancer. That is -why- it is recommended. If it prevented just the ones that caused a few warts with no other complications, or the ones that rarely cause any symptoms at all, no one would care, and no one would want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness