U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,184,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
This post caught my eye....this vaccine is NO WAY ever proclaims to protect you from a hereditary risk of getting cancer. It is specifically from HPV...a sexually transmitted virus. It's amazing how many people are so un-informed.
This is an excerpt from the link to follow:

Family history of cervical cancer: Cervical cancer may run in some families. If your mother or sister had cervical cancer, your chances of developing the disease are increased by 2 to 3 times. Some researchers suspect that some instances of this familial tendency are caused by an inherited condition that makes some women less able to fight off HPV infection than others. In other instances, women from the same family as a patient already diagnosed may be more likely to have one or more of the other non-genetic risk factors previously described in this section.

From: ACS :: What Are the Risk Factors for Cervical Cancer? (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_What_are_the_risk_factors_for_cervical_ cancer_8.asp - broken link)

Therefore, it goes to follow that if one is at risk due to family history of cervical cancer, that one is more susceptible to HPV, and therefore vaccination is warranted.

It's amazing how many people are so un-informed!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,595,391 times
However, even those prediposed to cancer still need the regular paps, etc which is said to be just as effective in the treatment of HPV, before it turns into cervical cancer. I just wish that more testing, proper testing of this vaccine was done before giving it to unsuspecting girls. And by unsuspecting, I mean those not informed of the deadly and life altering side effects. There are some people that should not be getting this vaccine and with the proper information ( instead of the "there's nothing wrong with this vaccine" speech) the right people could be getting the shot and those that shouldn't, wouldn't be! Through some of my own research it appears that athletic girls with asthma and an allergy to pennicillian and / or sulfur drugs, seem to be having the worst reactions. Not in all cases, but a lot of cases. If I, a self proclaimed, unprofessional can put this together, why can't those that are supposed to know what they are doing?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I am SO sorry about both of your situations. I think of you and your daughters often.

One thing I will never understand: How is it that my doctor told me that there have only been like 7 "serious" side effects reported and I have heard right here on this forum (not just you two) more than 20????!!!!

I really do get it though. They are either lying or big huge idiots who shouldn't be practicing!
Thank you. I appreciate it. I have decided to become much more vocal and do anything I can to stop other girls / mothers from having to go thru this. It's just heartbreaking and there's no reason for it!!! And that's the thing, I'm sure there may be some people that may have a positive effect from this vaccine, but they ( the drug companies, doctors, etc) aren't being honest about ALL of the side effects, and that needs to be made known so that people can make a truly informed decision. And just for the record, the deaths from this has now risen to 39.

But again, thanks miasmommy, I appreciate your support!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:10 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,620,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
This is an excerpt from the link to follow:

Family history of cervical cancer: Cervical cancer may run in some families. If your mother or sister had cervical cancer, your chances of developing the disease are increased by 2 to 3 times. Some researchers suspect that some instances of this familial tendency are caused by an inherited condition that makes some women less able to fight off HPV infection than others. In other instances, women from the same family as a patient already diagnosed may be more likely to have one or more of the other non-genetic risk factors previously described in this section.

From: ACS :: What Are the Risk Factors for Cervical Cancer? (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_What_are_the_risk_factors_for_cervical_ cancer_8.asp - broken link)

Therefore, it goes to follow that if one is at risk due to family history of cervical cancer, that one is more susceptible to HPV, and therefore vaccination is warranted.

It's amazing how many people are so un-informed!
Your post says it all..."SOME researchers SUSPECT...."
Bottom line....HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. HPV cause cervical cancer.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Bottom line....HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. HPV cause cervical cancer.
Exactly! Even with the vaccine, and IF you don't have a reaction, you MAY be protected from SOME strains of HPV.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I doubt that we'll ever get to a point where "ALL researchers..." is possible.

And yes, HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. I can't control my daughter's sexual activity when she's at an age where she's at liberty to manage her own sexuality. My job as her parent is to do what is possible to minimize the risk of her contracting HPV, and strengthen her immunity to it because her ability to fight a future infection may be compromised by genetics.

You choose to focus on parts of the post you wish to emphasize. I by no means intend to change your position or the other posters position on this. I am merely saying that I come from a long line of cancer of the reproductive system and will do everything I can to increase my daughter's chances for survival in case genetics and bad luck (as in a partner who is not totally honest) strikes her with infection.

She has had all 3 shots with no adverse effects. My husband and I feel confident in the educated choice we made. I'm sure that everyone else here who has made the decision not to is equally confident in that. Unless you are in my position as a cancer survivor and a child of a cancer survivor, you wouldn't understand. Why don't we leave that disagreement alone shall we?

In parting, it would also be nice if you stayed away from sweeping insults such as your reference to your purported amazement at people's ignorance.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 02-11-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM

bibit, as someone who would celebrate if gardasil was taken off the shelves, I completely understand your viewpoint and am so happy that your daughter didn't have a reaction. I do see why you wanted the vaccine for your daughter. I hope you both remain heathy!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
bibit, as someone who would celebrate if gardasil was taken off the shelves, I completely understand your viewpoint and am so happy that your daughter didn't have a reaction. I do see why you wanted the vaccine for your daughter. I hope you both remain heathy!
Thank you, happeemommee! And I completely understand your opposition to it considering what your daughter has gone through. I know I would be were I in your position. I appreciate that throughout this thread, you as well as others who wish that they did not give Gardasil to their daughters, who wish that big pharma was more open, wish that we had more data, did not resort to insulting posters who believed otherwise. The one common thread I see is the intent of all the parents to protect their daughters. Regardless of the outcome, regardless of the choice we make for them, one thing I don't and won't ever doubt is that we all had our children's best interests in mind. If anything, I think that is what we all can agree on. I wish you and your daughter the best of health as well...let's hope we see the day when CANCER is an obsolete word!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM

9,244 posts, read 20,291,316 times
Moving up for the OP.

Sorry your daughter isn't better

I so appreciate your posts as the parent of an almost 16 year old.
I've also linked to them for friends to read.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Thank you roselvr! I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness