U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM

193 posts, read 730,303 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any miracle tricks for acne. I used to never ever break out, and it seems after I hit 22 I have been breaking out, and it sucks!! I thought it would go away but I am 24 now and its still going strong. In the summer all I have to do is lay out for 30 minutes and my skin will clear right up. But in the winter I can not do that, and no meds seem to be helping much. I used to tan in the tanning bed alot especially in the winter, but quit doing that for fear of skin cancer and other things. Never had a zit when I did that. Anyways- If sun is the only thing that clears me up though what should I do. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Does your diet include a lot of foods that are greasy (hamburgers, French fries) or sugary (soft drinks, doughnuts, pastries) or high in animal fats (cheese, ice cream, pizza)?

If yes, you might try eliminating/reducing these and going for lots of fruits, vegetables and foods that are not fried.

Drink lots of fresh water (6-8 glasses/day) as your beverage of choice. If you smoke, think about all the toxins entering your body.

Oftentimes, our skin is an indication of our diet--garbage in/garbage out....my skin became wonderfully clear when I changed what I put into my body.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,912,286 times
Depending on the severity, I would suggest you just go ahead and see a dermatologist if possible.

I am old now, (53yrs!) and I STILL have somewhat oily skin with an occasional break out. I have found that simply one of the Benzoyl Peroxide 10% cream products (I think I'm using Clearasil Clean Skin now) works really well. But again, if the situation is fairly severe and not responding to over the counter products, I would go to a dermatologist if that's an option.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 PM

89 posts, read 485,308 times
I have always had acne. I have had good results with proactive. Also chemical peels help

Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 AM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
My dermo says it's a falicy that there is any connection between acne and what you eat.
A dermo can prescibe very effective creams if the over the counter do not work. Also low dose of antibiotics does wonders. Birth control for women also helps a lot.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM

5,115 posts, read 10,030,617 times
I noticed a big improvement when I cut down on sugary foods and ate a lot of fresh food - fruits and veggies. Don't overclean your skin, it will make things worse - just clean twice a day with a mild cleanser. Also I would not recomment using a scrub, makes acne worse because it irritates the skin. Also drink lots of water.
For pimples try dabbing some tea tree oil on them, works for me.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,258,288 times
Default salt the culprit for many

Try reducing your salt intake - it's a catalyst for acne.

This is hard to do with all the salt/sodium in processed foods. You can try an elimination diet to find out quickly: No processed foods - just have some lean meats, rice [no salt added], maybe pasta [no tomato sauce with added salt], veggies, fruit, etc. Sometimes you can see unbelievable results in about 3 days, clear skin in a week.

You can also take some saunas, which will help reduce your salt levels, and you'll sweat out some toxins too. If you take frequent saunas, make sure you supplement with B-vit's and minerals.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,551,547 times
I've had acne for forever. I've tried altering my diet in all sorts of ways, handful of medications...proactive, tetracycline and monocycline (I'm not sure about the spelling, it has been awhile) The only thing I have noticed is when I quit drinking soda it helped quite a bit, and drinking alcohol seems to help some due to drying your skin out. Someone in another thread mentioned using aloe vera on the area but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,709,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
Does anyone have any miracle tricks for acne. I used to never ever break out, and it seems after I hit 22 I have been breaking out, and it sucks!! I thought it would go away but I am 24 now and its still going strong. In the summer all I have to do is lay out for 30 minutes and my skin will clear right up. But in the winter I can not do that, and no meds seem to be helping much. I used to tan in the tanning bed alot especially in the winter, but quit doing that for fear of skin cancer and other things. Never had a zit when I did that. Anyways- If sun is the only thing that clears me up though what should I do. Any suggestions??
I don't know if this will help you, but I know someone who used to have terrible acne and it helped him 100%, so it's worth my time to impart the information.

Like you he didn't start breaking out until into his 20's, and it went from bad to worse to worst of all. He tried all the benzoyl creams and others, over the counter, mail order and by subscription and nothing helped him. Then he met a girl, a beautiful girl with beautiful skin, and after they had dated for some weeks he noticed that this girl, with radiant skin, never did anything to get it, never even used soap to wash it. So with little to lose and everything to gain he thought he'd give this non-treatment treatment a chance and voila! It worked! He was shocked, I was shocked, we were all shocked. This was going on three years ago now, and his skin is just as clear and radiant as the girl's, a girl he's been with ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness