Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Background Noise To Sleep Or Total Silence
Prefer Some Kind Of Noise To Sleep 134 83.23%
Prefer Total Silence To Sleep 27 16.77%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM

973 posts, read 3,296,424 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I just can't sleep without our fan. Dead silence is deafening! We hear every little creak of the house, everytime somebody breathes, changes positions, gets up to go to the bathroom, etc... Drives us nuts when we go on a trip and have to make due with the crummy "fan" in the hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM

607 posts, read 1,330,792 times
I have npr or talk radio on all night...can't sleep otherwise. It's rarely interesting enough to keep me awake. Agree with the poster above who is freaked out by Art Beel and George Noory! Politics and economy are more soothing than their topics in the dark of night.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,811,094 times
We have had fans on in the bedroom forEVER. As others have mentioned, when the power goes off we are instantly awake!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
My hubby and I just can't sleep without our fan. Dead silence is deafening! We hear every little creak of the house, everytime somebody breathes, changes positions, gets up to go to the bathroom, etc... Drives us nuts when we go on a trip and have to make due with the crummy "fan" in the hotel room.
That's why when we travel the two white noise machines go with us. I agree that silence is loud!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,437,987 times
Most noise disappears when I remove my two hearing aids before going to bed so I like it quiet In years gone by, I had to use earplugs to drown out my H's snoring..We now sleep in separate rooms, (hey kids, we are old) besides he uses a cpap machine and I use a bipap machine so it is more convenient..I cannot sleep without my ceiling fan running, not for the noise but for the cool air..During cool weather my window is also open and while the room is very cold, I am snuggled beneath a sheet light blanket and a down comforter.. Oh that sounds good...Good night everyone

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,783,013 times
My family has 3 Marpac White Noise Machines - one for the parents and one for each kid's room. We all need them to sleep soundly.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,254,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
Agree with the poster above who is freaked out by Art Beel and George Noory! Politics and economy are more soothing than their topics in the dark of night.
Not to change the topic here, but my favorite Art Bell show was the poor fellow with the deep southern accent from Arkansas who built a giant electrical "Jacob's Ladder" from spare parts he stole from his electrical company employer. Thinking he had built a time machine, he "browned out" half the county before they caught him. I laughed so hard I literally fell out of bed!

But back to the subject at hand, had I hit my head on the bureau when I fell, I suppose I would have slept rather soundly.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,674,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I have a hard time sleeping without a fan. When it turns cold, I simply turn the fan away from me so that it doesn't blow my way but I still hear the noise.
This is what I do. It still makes the room really cold, though. I wish I could find something as loud as the fan to replace it with in the winter.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,011,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
This is what I do. It still makes the room really cold, though. I wish I could find something as loud as the fan to replace it with in the winter.
Straying a bit ...

Fan and a cold room, or I can't sleep. With my kind of sleep disorder, the doctor recommended a pattern of heating my body up, then cooling it down so I basically enter a state of hibernation. People thought I was nuts for having an electric blanket, plus running the AC and fan, in the winter (setting it so it stops when the room is cold). I get the bed toasty warm then turn off the blanket. The fan and a short run of the AC brings down my body temperature and I can get some zzzz's

Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,529,620 times
Lots of good answers that everyone posted. I put the fan back in the corner of the room last night and that was alot better as i didn't freeze and yet the sound put me sleep. They are predicting possible snow in northern New Mexico this weekend as i guess this winter i may have to run the heater and the fan at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness