U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Background Noise To Sleep Or Total Silence
Prefer Some Kind Of Noise To Sleep 84 80.77%
Prefer Total Silence To Sleep 20 19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 PM

211 posts, read 465,839 times

Advertisements

Yes I have always slept with the radio or the tv on all night.
when i was a little girl I would listen to the radio when I went to bed, and would fall asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM

6,211 posts, read 15,050,588 times
I've been sleeping with a fan on for years now, to drown out the sounds of the neighbors in my apartment building. I'm also glad it's not just me! In the summer, the fan blows directly on me, and I use Mentholatum on my nose to keep it from drying out. In the winter, the fan is turned in a different direction so I get the noise but not the cold air. It's very difficult to be in a hotel room when there's not enough noise.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 PM

211 posts, read 465,839 times
Default white noise

Hi Sandco,
here is a tip for you with the fan. Point it up towards the ceiling and it
will stir the air but wont blow directly on you in the winter or chilly nights.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:05 PM

8,175 posts, read 9,393,798 times
I not only need 'white noise', I also need air flowing over me, no matter the temperature of the room.

So, I use a fan as it does both.

Without one, I find it extremely difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

8,178 posts, read 18,049,650 times
I fall asleep with the TV on which is a very bad idea because often the happenings on the television (usually the USA channel or CNBC ) get interwoven into my dreams and there are some pretty scary things that I have been dreaming about.
I guess I should try a talk radio show that would just be people conversing ; even if they talked about the election , it would not be too horrifying.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM

13,320 posts, read 19,698,100 times
We drag a fan everywhere........It is a real pain but, whatchagonnado?
I can remember knowing that a daughter was going to be coming to our condo and having to go buy a fan to leave there for her.
If we have family company.......I know I have to have a fan for each bedroom.
Because .......Oh lololololol........it is not just me with the issue.
Everyone of my girls and my husband needs a fan. Now their kids need fans. It is a habit that just now can not be broken.
I'm thinking something should be invented that is small, makes the same fan sound, and we can transport it easily. ( not the wave, water, ocean thingy)........Just Fan.
I'd be ordering about 5 or so. I know a few others who would order.........lets invent now.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,046,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I not only need 'white noise', I also need air flowing over me, no matter the temperature of the room.

Me, too! Don't know why....it's very soothing. Other white noise? I live in a city, have loud neighbors a few doors down, so I either use my alarm clock which plays soft chimes, or go to sleep with dolphins/whales speaking on my headset.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,039,292 times
I use a fan in the summer, now on cool nights it seems too quiet. I like to feel air flowing as well.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,036,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

Thats me to the T as needing the air flowing over me with the noise.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,036,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Me, too! Don't know why....it's very soothing.
That's a perfect description of saying ''Its very soothing'' as that's the term i was looking for...lol...

In the hot summer i don't even turn on the a/c as it feels great to have the air flow over me when it's hot. When it gets cold then the air becomes painfull like jumping in ice water as that's why is't frustrating in the winter time but i've read lots of great answers from different people on here as to what they do or don't do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness