U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Background Noise To Sleep Or Total Silence
Prefer Some Kind Of Noise To Sleep 84 80.77%
Prefer Total Silence To Sleep 20 19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2008, 12:32 AM

544 posts, read 1,992,644 times

Advertisements

I have slept with a radio on since I was a teen, am now 55. I did the same with my kids when they were babies so they wouldn't hear us get up in the morning and take showers, or have a conversation over our morning paper. Now all of our kids sleep with a radio on low.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 05:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,372,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I fall asleep with the TV on which is a very bad idea because often the happenings on the television (usually the USA channel or CNBC ) get interwoven into my dreams and there are some pretty scary things that I have been dreaming about.
I guess I should try a talk radio show that would just be people conversing ; even if they talked about the election , it would not be too horrifying.
We sleep with the TV on all the time. One thing about having Dish Network. Unless you're awake to click the remote to keep watching, they shut your signal down for upgrades every morning at 3. Works out pretty good.
I also have a small fan on my side of the bed. Don't use it all the time but it helps!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,979,988 times
I have a white noise machine and place insulation boards over the bedroom windows. Motorcycle noise is becoming insanely loud these days. It's as if each idiot rider tries to outdo the other. We live near a major road and are seriously thinking about selling this house, just because of motorcycles.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 PM

393 posts, read 1,329,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I have a white noise machine and place insulation boards over the bedroom windows. Motorcycle noise is becoming insanely loud these days. It's as if each idiot rider tries to outdo the other. We live near a major road and are seriously thinking about selling this house, just because of motorcycles.
My sister has this issue at her house. They live near a 6 lane road and the motorcycles zooming by wake her, even with the insulation boards and an expensive white noise machine. She's the lightest sleeper in the world, but some of them are disturbingly loud and obnoxious. We have a high population of motorcyclists in my area, so suffice it to say my sister is looking forward to their upcoming move.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,877,107 times
My spouse absolutely cannot sleep without a fan or some other white noise source on; he is a very light sleeper, and without the noise, he's bolt upright in bed wondering who's breaking in with every little noise he hears. And in an older house like ours, there are plenty of little noises as the night wears on. He's also a chronic hot-blood and loves the feel of air moving over him, so the fan is generally pointed at the bed.

I, on the other hand, far prefer silence for sleeping, and I cannot abide the feel of air moving over my skin. It makes it almost impossible for me to sleep. Hence, even on the hottest July nights, I still have the sheet over me, to keep something between me and the breezes. I've learned to live with the white noise - didn't have a choice in that regard - but even when I'm feeling overheated, I can't tolerate air blowing on me.

Guess it's kind of a mixed marriage, but then a case could be made for that in a number of other respects as well. We still survive, and so does the relationship, so I guess it works.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I'm curious as to how many on here need ''White Noise'' to sleep as i admit i need some form of soft noise to sleep as the Super Quiet bothers me as i hear every creak and sound like the clock ticking etc.. Ideally if i slept on a hammock with the wind blowing on me and hearing the wind gently blow would easily put me to sleep.

So over the years i always slept with the fan on me as the air feels good and the noise puts me to sleep but now it's getting too cold to use the fan as infact last night i woke up at 2.30 a.m. sleeping on top of my numb arm as i was freezing. Sometimes World or Celtic Music works but i still prefer to hear the hum of the fan.

I wonder if it's natural or not to need to hear some form of noise to fall asleep so are there others on here beside me who need some sort of noise to sleep or do you prefer total silence instead to sleep??
sleeping without a fan noise makes my brain go insane. when im sleeping with a fan on, my sister will turn it off before im even awake yet & i will wake up in a total panic. i need a solution, or at least an explanation as to why i need white noise in order to sleep & to stay asleep.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM

348 posts, read 733,549 times
I like to sleep with either a fan on or The Weather Channel on TV. I love TWC, but, it's also very good at putting me to sleep.

I CANNOT sleep listening to traffic or voices, though. Or, if I tune into some strange sound inside and I can't tell where it's coming from, that will drive me nuts as all I can focus on is that sound.

I've read some other posts here about having other sounds on helping with tinnitus. I totally agree. While I don't think that's why I like having a fan and/or TWC on, the other noises help to take away my focus on my ringing ears.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,685,938 times
I usually need city noises and/or jazz in the background

Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Even though I have brand new central a/c, I still use a window unit in my bedroom during the summer just for the noise. During the winter I use a floor fan turned away from me.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinadownfall View Post
sleeping without a fan noise makes my brain go insane. when im sleeping with a fan on, my sister will turn it off before im even awake yet & i will wake up in a total panic. i need a solution, or at least an explanation as to why i need white noise in order to sleep & to stay asleep.
If you have a bit of money to spend, you could buy a small white noise machine and put it right next to you so that your sister can't access it. This is a good one Amazon.com: Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner: Health & Personal Care and costs $50.

The same company makes a travel white noise machine that is even smaller, and could potentially be kept right in the bed with you.

If you don't have the money, just buy a $5 packet of Mack's earplugs. In fact, you could try that first before spending the money on one of the machines.
Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs, Value Pack, 6 pr: Health & Personal Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness