U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Background Noise To Sleep Or Total Silence
Prefer Some Kind Of Noise To Sleep 84 80.77%
Prefer Total Silence To Sleep 20 19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM

15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times

Advertisements

I'm really surprised that so many people need noise in order to sleep as I expected the poll results to show just the opposite.

Count me in the "noise" column. My husband and I are retired now but we were night shift workers who had to sleep during the day, and our bedroom is just a few feet from the street. We invested in a Sharper Image Heart and Sound Soother that has six different sounds: rain, ocean, brook, summer night, white noise and heartbeat. We tried several of them but we like ocean best. The rolling waves are very soothing. Now I can't sleep without it. We have a battery-operated portable version for travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,539,978 times
I actually can't sleep WITH white noise- it sets off my sleep paralysis. A fan set too high or any strong vibration can do the same thing.

At the same time, I'm easily woken by noise in the household, and a tv set on low downstairs can keep me up. I've tried ocean noises and things like that, but the 'loop' of sound is too short and I find it distracting because I can predicate the sound. I wish I could find one with a longer loop- they all seem to be about 30 seconds.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you have a bit of money to spend, you could buy a small white noise machine and put it right next to you so that your sister can't access it. This is a good one Amazon.com: Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner: Health & Personal Care and costs $50.

The same company makes a travel white noise machine that is even smaller, and could potentially be kept right in the bed with you.

If you don't have the money, just buy a $5 packet of Mack's earplugs. In fact, you could try that first before spending the money on one of the machines.
Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs, Value Pack, 6 pr: Health & Personal Care
I have two of those sleepmates, they are great!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
I live in a filthy city with a bunch of bums/wino/tweakers/vagrants camped out all over my neighborhood..........on the sidewalks. Lo and behold............if one of these drugged out zombies does so much as stub its toe.............they send police/fire/ambulance and anyone else available.

So yes, to sleep I put on the radio and shove earplugs into my ears...........and TRY to sleep.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
I am either or.

Sometimes I need a movie (music just keeps me up singing along in my head...) and sometimes I prefer total silence.

I usually always get better sleep when it's quiet, if I am tired enough to fall asleep quickly that is!

I also really do not like background noises interfering w/ my dreams.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,044,852 times
I just put an app called Ambiance on my iPhone and I love that for travel. Tons of different sounds from which to choose. It is by Urban Apps and cost $2.99.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,982,950 times
Can I suggest a large sea shell? As kids we always used to listen to the 'sea' in shells and it might wean you all off using fans that you need to carry everywhere.

Of course, needing any noise, TV, fan, radio, anything is a habit and handicap but if you are happy with that...

Also, needing sound and things going on around you does suggest that you are escaping from something which needs dealing with, but hey, we all have different hang-ups. Me too.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 AM

15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Also, needing sound and things going on around you does suggest that you are escaping from something which needs dealing with, but hey, we all have different hang-ups. Me too.
My "hang-up" is tinnitus. White noise helps to mask the sound of my ears ringing. There's no such thing as complete silence in my world.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:22 PM

103 posts, read 179,768 times
During the day I prefer white noise and at night silence.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,187,206 times
I prefer some kind of nosie while sleeping, but ti has to be steady.

For example, I live at the end of a busy and side street, with the stop sign right there. There are teh jerks who stop at all hours and rev their engines; the ones who race up and down the street. That kind of noise bugs me.

So I sleep with a fan (or a/c, not both) and the TV on. Those are steady noises that block the outside ones for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness