U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,112,847 times

Advertisements

My son is constantly sick and it's frustrating me.

He had an ear infection. Was fine and then got another ear infection about a week or two later (whenever he has a little runny nose it always turns into an ear infection). Went on antibiotics for 10 days, finsihed the round on a Tuesday and by Friday he was sick again with a fever and soar throat. Back to Dr. .. and his ear infection was back.

Took another round of antibiotics for 10 days. Finished this past Tuesday and tis afternoon he woke up from a VERY LONG afternoon nap (uncharacteristically long) and was warm Took his temp and was 100.9.

While he's on the antibiotic and for a few after he's fine.. appetite is good, playfull.. and then BAM fever.

Anybody have similar problems. Really worried about why he's sick all the time.. poor thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,647,093 times
Has he been tested for allergies? So many children have allergies to milk and wheat products. I hope he feels better soon.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Has he been tested for allergies? So many children have allergies to milk and wheat products. I hope he feels better soon.

No he hasn't.. but would they give him a fever.

He LOVES milk.. and drinks a lot of it.. i will have to ask the doc about that..

The last 2 times he's had the ear infection it wasn't accompanied by a runny nose first.. so now i'm just wondering if the fluid is just not draining from his ears and may need tubes

Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
I would try a dairy free diet. Have read quite a bit about dairy and the link to childhood ear infections.
Here is one link but there are many more, if you google it.

Treatment of Ear Infections - Dr. Weil

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM

306 posts, read 1,035,504 times
Poor thing. Some kids are prone to ear infections. He may end up needing tubes put in to help him drain. Do becareful to keep up on it as it can effect his hearing.

I hope he is better soon. My T is also suffering from an ear infection right now. Must be something in the name.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,481,736 times
My first thought was allergies. As katzenfreund said, try going dairy free for a couple of weeks.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,144,848 times
My son had back to back ear infections. On the 11th day after the last dose of antibiotics, it would start up again. After repeated episodes of this, we were pleading for tubes. The pediatrician did not want to put tubes. As a last resort, we agreed to have him on low grade antibiotics for 2 months, an entire summer, daily. If that didn't work, the pediatrician would put tubes. It worked, and he never got an ear infection after that. Ask your doctor if that protocol might work for your son. I've heard mixed reviews about tubes.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My son had back to back ear infections. On the 11th day after the last dose of antibiotics, it would start up again. After repeated episodes of this, we were pleading for tubes. The pediatrician did not want to put tubes. As a last resort, we agreed to have him on low grade antibiotics for 2 months, an entire summer, daily. If that didn't work, the pediatrician would put tubes. It worked, and he never got an ear infection after that. Ask your doctor if that protocol might work for your son. I've heard mixed reviews about tubes.
I will.. thank you.

Did your son also have a soar throat that accompanied that infection/.
Last time he had a sore throat and when I ask him what hurts he's pointing to his mouth.. Just wondering if they kind of go hand in hand.

Poor thing was upset , threw a tantrum and then nearly threw up. I think he's getting dizzy and a little nauseaus ..he's calm now that he's laying down on the couch watching TV.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
My first thought was allergies. As katzenfreund said, try going dairy free for a couple of weeks.

I will try that too. That may be hard, he LOVES his milk in the morning and before bed.. unless I can trick him with Soy Milk!!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My daughter who is now 20 had constant ear infections and was on maintenance antibiotics for sometime because of it. As she got older and out of day care she grew out of it and doesn't have any trouble now. Doctor's wanted to put tubes in her ears and she fully understood and we agreed not to go that route. We never found out way she suffered with them and why my son did not other to offer that she was not breastfed while my son was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness