U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks! Do you have any ideas to help with sugar cravings...I seem to know all there is to know (I think) including chromium supps etc. but keep hoping for new help. I have a constant sugar craving due to the fact that my blood sugar is often low due to some lifelong conditions I have. I do well on a insulin reducing diet (no starchy carbs including root veggies, , no cafeine or decaf anything, no sugar of course, no preservatives, no alcohol). This works well and helps me to lose weight but I find it SO hard to stick to long term as I still seem to have low blood sugar...I was great at it for a year, and then slowly started slipping, and I am now back to some bad habits and am slowly gaining weight again. I just find it hard to stick to that plan. Do you have any tips or inspiration? Please?

PS. one weird thing is that whenever I start to do a large amount of exercise, that seems to be my trigger to fall off the wagon with my eating...I'm just so much hungrier and then poof, I am back to eating wrong and gaining weight. This summer I was doing some serious hiking, up to 10 hours a week with lots of big inclines etc. and that was my tirgger to start eating all wrong .
Here's a few of my thoughts on your questions Adventuregurl.

As for constant cravings of sugar ....there has been some research over the years about low Serotonin levels in the Brain as a possible cause as this Neurotransmitter is the ''feel good'' transmitter and eating carbs especially the High Glycemic type can raise this. I'd research on 5-HTP which raises Serotonin and see what you think if you want to try supplementing with it.

As for low Blood Sugar issues i do believe a low or lower carb diet will help on that. In Hypoglycemia your Pancreas is cranking out copious amounts of Insulin which is removing your blood glucose levels to an etremely low level hence Hypoglycemia and cravings for sweets. Your Cells Insulin Receptors are down regulated as they don't recognize Insulin so your Pancreas produces Insulin in too high of amounts when any amount of Carbs and to a lesser degree Protein is converted to Glucose and hits the Blood Stream to get the Receptors to allow Glucose inside the Cell.

One thing i have realised over these years and i have spent thousands of dollars on supplements and i do mean thousands $$$$$$......and that is i think more in ''Macro'' nutrients now and less in ''Micro'' nutrients for my health. In other words save your money on supplements (Vitamins, Minerals etc.) except for Calcium/Magnesium and Vitamin-D and concentrate more on your healthy Fats, Carbs and Proteins for health and longevity.

Does that help any Adventuregurl???

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,621,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Here's a few of my thoughts on your questions Adventuregurl.

As for constant cravings of sugar ....there has been some research over the years about low Serotonin levels in the Brain as a possible cause as this Neurotransmitter is the ''feel good'' transmitter and eating carbs especially the High Glycemic type can raise this. I'd research on 5-HTP which raises Serotonin and see what you think if you want to try supplementing with it.

As for low Blood Sugar issues i do believe a low or lower carb diet will help on that. In Hypoglycemia your Pancreas is cranking out copious amounts of Insulin which is removing your blood glucose levels to an etremely low level hence Hypoglycemia and cravings for sweets. Your Cells Insulin Receptors are down regulated as they don't recognize Insulin so your Pancreas produces Insulin in too high of amounts when any amount of Carbs and to a lesser degree Protein is converted to Glucose and hits the Blood Stream to get the Receptors to allow Glucose inside the Cell.

One thing i have realised over these years and i have spent thousands of dollars on supplements and i do mean thousands $$$$$$......and that is i think more in ''Macro'' nutrients now and less in ''Micro'' nutrients for my health. In other words save your money on supplements (Vitamins, Minerals etc.) except for Calcium/Magnesium and Vitamin-D and concentrate more on your healthy Fats, Carbs and Proteins for health and longevity.

Does that help any Adventuregurl???

6/3
Thanks 6/3, I also have spent thousands on supplements and currently take losts (as per my naturopath). I do seem to feel a bit better when I take them but have a hard time taking as many as arerecommended. I will look into the 5-HTP as I have heard about it. A friend actually gave me some that she didn't want anymore. By any chance do you think it might interfere with Pregnanalone? When I was taking the HGH precursor spray, it didn't do well with the Pregnanlone.

I do try to get healthy fat, protein, veggies and a few non sweet fruits in my diet.

Thanks again 6/3!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
By any chance do you think it might interfere with Pregnanalone? When I was taking the HGH precursor spray, it didn't do well with the Pregnanlone.
Do i think 5 HTP would interfer with Pregnenalone?? I don't know as i've never studied that but my first thought is i don't see why it would. Serotonin is a Neurotransmitter made from Tryptophan (Amino Acid) and Pregnenalone is a Pro Hormone made from Cholesterol.

I'm curious why you're taking HGH? Is this because of anti aging issues or Progesterone issues?

Adventuregurl ....you also asked about Hypoglycemia in your earlier posts and do know that HGH can cause Hypoglycemia as it jacks up Insulin production big time.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
have you tried Stevia? There are various brand names, and I guess some taste better than others. I've used KAL and find it very good. You only use a tiny pinch of it for sweetening and it doesn't wreak havoc with insulin levels. There's also a tropical fruit flavored stevia which is tasty.

I recently heard some rumblings from the FDA about questions of safety, but haven't heard more. It's still on the market, though I think the FDA wants formal studies done.
IMHO they should proably concentrate on some other things first.
I have been using Stevia for years, however when my blood sugar is low, I want to bring it up as it is very uncomfortable and Stevia won't do it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Do i think 5 HTP would interfer with Pregnenalone?? I don't know as i've never studied that but my first thought is i don't see why it would. Serotonin is a Neurotransmitter made from Tryptophan (Amino Acid) and Pregnenalone is a Pro Hormone made from Cholesterol.

I'm curious why you're taking HGH? Is this because of anti aging issues or Progesterone issues?

Adventuregurl ....you also asked about Hypoglycemia in your earlier posts and do know that HGH can cause Hypoglycemia as it jacks up Insulin production big time.
Thanks for the info about HGH and insulin, I was taking a spray (Orenda) which makes your body produce more HGH and was doing it to balance hormones and help with sleep...it made me feel awesome but I needed the Pregnanalone and it seemed to interfere with it.

I have a high insulin level naturally from a life long condition I have and have been insulin resistant since my 20's. I struggle with my wieght but most people with my condition are obese and I'm not as I try to eat well (not always successful) and exercise.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I have a high insulin level naturally from a life long condition I have and have been insulin resistant since my 20's. I struggle with my wieght but most people with my condition are obese and I'm not as I try to eat well (not always successful) and exercise.
Yeah it's tough to deal with these issues and i feel for you Adventuregurl.

Since you have been Insulin Resistant for so long that tells me you Receptors are very dormant so you may really want to go Adkins or High Fat as Fatty Acids have the least effect on them so they'll restore to normal.

Also watch your Protein intake as too much can also be converted to Glucose via the Liver thru Gluconeogenesis which can still effect your Insulin Receptors negatively.

I'd go high Fat, medium Protein and low Carbs so your Cell Mitochondria's (Energy Factories) will use Ketones for energy instead of Glucose and save your Pancreas and Health.

6/3

Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I'd go high Fat, medium Protein and low Carbs so your Cell Mitochondria's (Energy Factories) will use Ketones for energy instead of Glucose and save your Pancreas and Health.

6/3
Ya, that's what I figured, fats make me feel so good...sometimes I just want to rebel and eat carbs or even have a glass of wine. In social situations, people keep trying to tell me that I being to extreme, when I'm eating the way I should be, and they keep saying 'everything in moderation' but that doesn't seem to be true for me.

I guess I just have to play the hand I was dealt! I keep hoping for some new miracle to make life easier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness