U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 PM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,155 posts, read 16,876,580 times
Reputation: 5009

Advertisements

What might be the reason a presumably healthy young adult would feel a craving for protein all the time?

Has anyone experienced this, or do you know what would cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,499,483 times
Reputation: 3535
What in the heck does a protein craving feel like anyway. When my stomach growls all I know is that I'm hungry ! Do you work out a lot ? Muscle building requires a high protein diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 AM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,155 posts, read 16,876,580 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
What in the heck does a protein craving feel like anyway. When my stomach growls all I know is that I'm hungry ! Do you work out a lot ? Muscle building requires a high protein diet.
I'm not sure what it feels like. Just know that a friend said she seems to want meals with high protein content such as meats, eggs, fish. Just any meal doesn't satisfy.

She was wondering whether she could be iron deficient, or have some other deficiency. She jogs and exercises regularly, but not excessively, and takes a daily vitamin with iron. I told her that her need for protein might increase with the type of exercises she does. She's energetic, tall, in great shape, and healthy. Still, I suggested she get her blood checked.

Just wondered whether anyone had experience with this kind of specific craving. Sometimes we get the most unexpected hints and clues on what to check from the folks here, and it has been helpful in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 PM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,978,090 times
Reputation: 12074
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
What might be the reason a presumably healthy young adult would feel a craving for protein all the time?

Has anyone experienced this, or do you know what would cause this?
I wonder if it's more to do with the Fat content along with the Protein than the Protein by it's self. For example you could experiment and see if she craves Whey Protein Powder in Skim Milk then later on switch over to Whey in Full Fat milk and see how she feels.

I know if i eat Fat Free foods/products i'm like boring ....but add fat to them and that can get the cravings going or bring out the tatse in food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,155 posts, read 16,876,580 times
Reputation: 5009
Thanks, 6/3. Sent you a dm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
Reputation: 7248
I think that everyone is slightly different as to what they need to keep the body working at it's best. I am one that does not do well at all on a low protein diet. I do fine with very little carbs in my diet. Fruits, veggies, lots of milk, eggs and meat.

My husband was once placed on a low protein diet. I thought I would do the easy thing and join him. Big Mistake! I stayed hungry and gained 20 pounds. Only proteins seem to last long enough that I don't feel the need to eat, eat, eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I wonder if it's more to do with the Fat content along with the Protein than the Protein by it's self. For example you could experiment and see if she craves Whey Protein Powder in Skim Milk then later on switch over to Whey in Full Fat milk and see how she feels.

I know if i eat Fat Free foods/products i'm like boring ....but add fat to them and that can get the cravings going or bring out the tatse in food.
Maybe she is hypolgycemic and really needs the protein and fat to make her feel like she has nourished herslef. I am like that. If I eat a veggie meal I feel great for about 1 or 2 hours max and then I need some protein.

6/3, I am new here but have seen a few of your posts, you seem very well versed in nutrition (so many people don't really know what they are talking about), are you a health professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 AM
 
13,140 posts, read 35,978,090 times
Reputation: 12074
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
6/3, I am new here but have seen a few of your posts, you seem very well versed in nutrition (so many people don't really know what they are talking about), are you a health professional?
Good thought on Hypoglycemia as that could be an issue.

No i'm not a health professional but just some 23 years of research and experience in studying fitness, health and longevity and being a Bodybuilder. In 1985 when i was 21 i was 6 foot 3 tall and weighed 145 lbs as i was SUPER Skinny or a walking toothpick as i was called alot .....so i joined the YMCA and started reading Muscle and Fitness, Mens Health, Mens Fitness and other magazines and books over the years and working out with Bodybuilders and Powerlifters at hardcore gyms along with alot of trial and error over these 23 years and so i'm just self taught so to speak.

Although i still workout i'm not a Bodybuilder anymore but instead i care about anti aging and longevity. I weigh 220 lbs at 6/3 tall as that's perfect for me now. Anyway enough of me gabbing and thanks for the really cool words and all Adventuregurl .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Good thought on Hypoglycemia as that could be an issue.

No i'm not a health professional but just some 23 years of research and experience in studying fitness, health and longevity and being a Bodybuilder. In 1985 when i was 21 i was 6 foot 3 tall and weighed 145 lbs as i was SUPER Skinny or a walking toothpick as i was called alot .....so i joined the YMCA and started reading Muscle and Fitness, Mens Health, Mens Fitness and other magazines and books over the years and working out with Bodybuilders and Powerlifters at hardcore gyms along with alot of trial and error over these 23 years and so i'm just self taught so to speak.

Although i still workout i'm not a Bodybuilder anymore but instead i care about anti aging and longevity. I weigh 220 lbs at 6/3 tall as that's perfect for me now. Anyway enough of me gabbing and thanks for the really cool words and all Adventuregurl .
Thanks! Do you have any ideas to help with sugar cravings...I seem to know all there is to know (I think) including chromium supps etc. but keep hoping for new help. I have a constant sugar craving due to the fact that my blood sugar is often low due to some lifelong conditions I have. I do well on a insulin reducing diet (no starchy carbs including root veggies, , no cafeine or decaf anything, no sugar of course, no preservatives, no alcohol). This works well and helps me to lose weight but I find it SO hard to stick to long term as I still seem to have low blood sugar...I was great at it for a year, and then slowly started slipping, and I am now back to some bad habits and am slowly gaining weight again. I just find it hard to stick to that plan. Do you have any tips or inspiration? Please?

PS. one weird thing is that whenever I start to do a large amount of exercise, that seems to be my trigger to fall off the wagon with my eating...I'm just so much hungrier and then poof, I am back to eating wrong and gaining weight. This summer I was doing some serious hiking, up to 10 hours a week with lots of big inclines etc. and that was my tirgger to start eating all wrong .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 06:54 AM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,155 posts, read 16,876,580 times
Reputation: 5009
have you tried Stevia? There are various brand names, and I guess some taste better than others. I've used KAL and find it very good. You only use a tiny pinch of it for sweetening and it doesn't wreak havoc with insulin levels. There's also a tropical fruit flavored stevia which is tasty.

I recently heard some rumblings from the FDA about questions of safety, but haven't heard more. It's still on the market, though I think the FDA wants formal studies done.
IMHO they should proably concentrate on some other things first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top