U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:54 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,843,441 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used miralax in their children? My pediatrician recommended it for my 5 year old. So far she's had one dose and no results yet (it's been 2 days). I called him today and he said to give her a dose every day for 2 weeks. Ugh, I really don't want to have to do that!

Any good/bad experiences? I've heard about behavioral changes when using Miralax in kids, and I'm not thrilled about using this! We've been doing lots of fiber, prune juice, and I cut out dairy and cut way down on sugar to try to get things moving, but no luck....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,269,037 times
never heard about giving it to kids. my 76 year old mom takes it. when she started on it, they did tell her to take it everyday until things were too loose! I can't imagine doing that to a little kid. I would definitely work on the fiber..fruit and veggies etc. popcorn is a whole grain and may also be helpful.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 PM

89 posts, read 485,357 times
I give it to my 5 year old daughter every day and it works like a dream! If I remember correctly it took a couple doses before she was moving regularly. A friend of mine who happens to be a pediatrician gives it to his one year old daily. Good luck and keep using it, it really does make a difference

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM

I used it for her twice and then switched to PlumStart, which is like prune juice. She's been back on schedule, so I guess between the two they worked. I'd rather give juice than a fairly new drug, so I'm glad something finally worked to unblock things! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM

89 posts, read 485,357 times
Default P.s

I am crazy about what I feed my kids. My daughter was strictly breastfed for a year and a half, has always had a decent diet, lots of fluids-mostly water, and still would get very constipated. Constipation at a young age can cause serious problems down the road. Better to take care of it now. Also, I myself have not heard anything negative about Miralax. Again, good luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks! I breastfed my daughter for 3 1/2 years, and it seems that she's had issues with going poo since I weaned her. She was going once or twice per week after she weaned! She also drank what I consider a lot of cow's milk... probably 2 cups per day. Since we've had this acute problem (the past two weeks, I guess), I've cut out all drinking of cow's milk and I think she's had cheese once. That, along with the prune juice, seems to have definitely cleared things up. She's going every other day or so now. I wonder if I blamed her constipation on weaning her, when really it was because I substituted breastmilk with cow's milk? Ugh, I wish it did not take me two years to figure that out! I'm also now making sure that she eats an apple or a plum every day, with the skin on. She refuses to eat raisins or prunes or blueberries (because they remind her of bugs).

I haven't heard anything dangerous about Miralax, but I did see something that said that kids who are on it long term can have behavioral issues. I think it was in the archives at mothering.com. I don't even remember exactly what I googled.... just something to keep in mind if you do notice anything behaviorally related. Good luck to you too! What a pain for little ones to deal with!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,278 times
My doughter is five and she was prescribed Miralax to loosen a little but can it be possible to mix it with orange juice?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,697,375 times
My son, age 8, has been struggling with constipation his whole life. I've tried high fiber diets, fiber supplements like Benefiber and such and my pediatrician (sister) told me to put him on Miralax - one capful each day. Well, it gave him horrible stomach pain and a lot of uncontrollable diarrhea, so I stopped it. He is getting better nowadays, but I just try to control his carbs and increase fiber intake.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Try getting her to eat laxative type foods and look into aloe juice. All natural and no worries.
You may also look into giving her digestive bacteria via yogurts. There are non dairy options too but most kids seem to love yogurt.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 121,174 times
hi

I haven't heard anything dangerous about Miralax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness