U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,446,051 times

Advertisements

My son came home at 2AM from going out with friends downtown; he had one beer and a shot. We had a small conversation about what he'd done and who he'd seen and then we went to bed. About three hours later he comes to my room and wakes me up, he's sitting on the bed violently shaking like he's freezing to death.

He said he was not cold and didn't feel cold to the touch, but was pale. I called Hubby at work and he suggested the the boy may have low blood sugar or be dehydrated so I gave him a coke. He then started complaining about his chest feeling tight so he took a dose of his inhaler for asthema. A few moments later the shaking stopped.

Anyone have any idea what would cause such uncontrolled shaking, (the whole bed was shaking), that would just suddenly stop?

PS. Oh, and the last time he'd eaten was earlier at about 6PM.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,691,595 times
does diabetes run in your family ? If so....it may have been his blood sugar, but more often that not, altered level of consciousness comes with it as well...not just the shaking. Was he 100% coherent when he was "shaking". If not diabetes, there is the distinct possibility that he may have experimented with some type of controlled substance, aka drugs.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Yes diabetes does run in the family, but he's checked fairly regularly, (he has his EMT Basic and brought his own kit). He and Hubby are in law enforcement so it's highly unlikely that he would take drugs. Either his father would know right off or the drug testing would bust him. He was very coherent and despite the EMT Basic had no clue what would cause such shaking. The thought that someone may have slipped something in his beer, occured to me, but Hubby ruled that out when he got home at 7AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,274 times
I would have him get a check-up with his doctor. You don't want to just dismiss it, and this sounds serious enough to get checked out!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
He might have had a case of the chills or a panic attack, which is not unusual for his age.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies ya'll! I'm trying to get him to commit to a doctor's visit this week, but I just keep getting a, "mmm," noise out of him. He works full time and is a full time student who has to maintain his GPA for the full scholarship so he is under a lot of pressure and doesn't have much time.

You know Woof, I didn't think of a panic attack. I did bring up a touchy Katrina related subject just the day before. I will have to tread lightly, but will ask him about it.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,343,400 times
It never ceases to amazes me that people think drinking sugar-laced soft drinks is good for low blood sugar. Please don't do that to your child again. Read on the internet what is permitted if, in fact, he has that problem. Cola is forbidden for low blood sugar as are alcoholic beverages. The best thing for dehydration is water.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Canine according to this site and my son it is acceptable to offer a soft drink, About Low Blood Glucose - What I need to know about Diabetes Medicines, check the quick fix list.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:57 AM

5,199 posts, read 11,343,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Canine according to this site and my son it is acceptable to offer a soft drink, About Low Blood Glucose - What I need to know about Diabetes Medicines, check the quick fix list.
The site I referred to said colas were definitely a no-no. I guess if the professionals don't know, I don't either. Sorry for my intrusion with information that could possibly be deemed incorrect.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,691,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
My son came home at 2AM from going out with friends downtown; he had one beer and a shot. We had a small conversation about what he'd done and who he'd seen and then we went to bed. About three hours later he comes to my room and wakes me up, he's sitting on the bed violently shaking like he's freezing to death.

He said he was not cold and didn't feel cold to the touch, but was pale. I called Hubby at work and he suggested the the boy may have low blood sugar or be dehydrated so I gave him a coke. He then started complaining about his chest feeling tight so he took a dose of his inhaler for asthema. A few moments later the shaking stopped.

Anyone have any idea what would cause such uncontrolled shaking, (the whole bed was shaking), that would just suddenly stop?

PS. Oh, and the last time he'd eaten was earlier at about 6PM.
One more thing...did his fingers feel tingly and numb ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness