U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,442 times

Advertisements

My daughter has an enlarged lymph node on her neck. When she's coming down with a cold, or suffers from allergies, it always gets a lot bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 AM

9,158 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreeangels View Post
Hi, there,
I was really frustrated after talking with the ENT yesterday. He was saying that it "appeared" to be benign. Then he said we could do antibiotics and blood work, but then later in the conversation he said they wouldn't be necessary. I asked him how he could tell from an ultrasound if something was benign. He gave me some technical answer. I told him it would be nice to find out for sure if it was benign or not, and he said the only way would be surgery, but since it didn't look like it was malignant he didn't want to take the risk of surgery. I was just very shocked that he would not want to do bloodwork on a 10 year old girl with a solid lymph node mass behind her ear that doesn't hurt. Anyway, called Pediatrician today, and he felt as though we should still do bloodwork to get a look at the white blood cells and the lymphocytes. He said to make sure we aren't dealing with lymphoma or leukemia. He said he would want bloodwork if it was his child. I really appreciated that approach over just wait and see. Just a note...I have a brother who died from leukemia
Sorry about your brother. I lost my dad to leukemia.
What type of leukemia did your brother have?

As far as how they can tell if it benign, yes they can from what I understand. It's the makeup of the cyst or lump. From memory and maybe someone with medical knowledge will jump in, one type is fatty while the other is fluid filled I think.

I would be worried she had mono. Same thing happened to my girl, ended up with a mono diagnosis. Funny thing is, my daughter had been tired a few weeks before and was feeling ok except the lumps in her neck by this time.

Get the blood test. Have them run a full panel on her, ask them to check for mono as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 AM

3,653 posts, read 7,260,891 times
I had that same thing behind my left ear this summer. It eventually went away, I just felt, its completely gone. I was told that having a cold or even allergies can cause them.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreeangels View Post
Just got a message from the ENT who said it was Benign...Not sure exactly what that means. He is going to call back later. Should I seek a second opinion?
Benign means it's not deadly or spread. i had one swollen behind both my ears. got one removed when i was 8 and 24

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,380 times
my 10 year old sport mad grandson has a lump in both of his grions and we have just noticed a small white lump behind both ears. he is waiting for a blood test. do you have an idea what it could be as i am a bit worried.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 17,405 times
Default Lymphoma

It's very interesting that for probably more than 15 years I had a hard lump over the mastoid bone behind my R ear. Never thought too much about it, other than I had lots of allergies and sinus issues and always assessed that as the problem.

Fast forward to March of 2011, I had stomach issues and found out I had follicular lymphoma. Started chemo in April ( bendamustine and rituxan) 2011. How amazing that after two days that lump that had been there for YEARS was GONE! Totally and completely.. and remains gone through today (May 2012 and I am now on maintenance rituxan every three months). The good thing is follicular lymphoma is "indolent" meaning slow-growing, and although not curable seems to be more treatable as the years progress.

PS.. diagnosed at 51...

Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana in texas View Post
It's very interesting that for probably more than 15 years I had a hard lump over the mastoid bone behind my R ear. Never thought too much about it, other than I had lots of allergies and sinus issues and always assessed that as the problem.

Fast forward to March of 2011, I had stomach issues and found out I had follicular lymphoma. Started chemo in April ( bendamustine and rituxan) 2011. How amazing that after two days that lump that had been there for YEARS was GONE! Totally and completely.. and remains gone through today (May 2012 and I am now on maintenance rituxan every three months). The good thing is follicular lymphoma is "indolent" meaning slow-growing, and although not curable seems to be more treatable as the years progress.

PS.. diagnosed at 51...

that is interesting. What about your allergy/sinus issues? Still ongoing?
I hope you continue to respond well to your treatments.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,083,086 times
I had a friend who had such a thing on the back of her neck near her ear and just under her hair. She thought it was nothing but went to have it checked out when it didn't go away. Turned out she had follicular lymphoma -- a type of cancer.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would keep an eye on it..But mine swell up from allergies all the time. When I had mono they got really big. Benign means harmless.
Mine used to swell up too, but I was never sure from what .....early on I thought they were infected blackheads and squeezed them until liquid came out. They got real unhappy over that.

Mine used to swell up and get sore every few years, then it became just the one behind the right ear.

Then nothing for at least a decade and a half, until last week the right one swelled up again. After three or four days it subsided and isn't sore.

I find them a bit bizarre as I can never link them to any other problem.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
What type of test should be asked for if you have such a thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness