U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times

Advertisements

Just go see a dermatologist if in the hair, behind the ear, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
that is interesting. What about your allergy/sinus issues? Still ongoing?
I hope you continue to respond well to your treatments.

Allergies/sinus long gone due to a wonderful allergist/ ENT back in the early 1990's. Over the years I assumed the 'lump' was a permanently enlarged lymph gland due to a chronic infection response.

Obviously most lumps and bumps are nothing; lymph glands are supposed to get big and tender if they are doing their job and aren't usually too much to worry about even if they are hard as long as they are small and movable. In my case, my "big deal" lymph glands are in the abdomen entwined around alot of critical blood vessels, a couple of pulmonary nodules and a decent-sized one in my neck I had never noticed! The largest ones of which i have many are about 2" X 3". I actually noticed my abdomen was 'lopsided'.. in other words i was fatter on the left than the right! It took me a long time to really go to the Dr because I just couldn't believe it was anything serious.. some LUQ and back "uncomfortableness", and some chronic indigestion.

NEVER dreamed it was cancer of any kind. And thank you, I think I will be around a long time!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,584 times
Might be cancer.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,971 times
Hi, omg I'm dealing with the same thing here last week I notice a swollen lymph node in the back of my head then a ciupke more behjnd my ear. The was painful to the touch now they don't hurry as much but still there. Dr. thought it was sinus infection gave me antibiotics but a couple of days later developed an allergic reaction to antibiotics. And then had a swollen gum I around my wisdom tooth and very painful it was infected so went back to dr. They changed my antibiotics and seems like my tooth and the infection are getting better, although my swollen lymph nodes behind my e ear still the same and still very tender and the area feels hot at times. Now I'm just fracking out and I don't know if there's really an infection or something else, if I should worry more our just washout it our. I also have a small little pimple like on the top of my eat and its painful. I don't know what is going on & I worry something more serious is going on. If anybody has gone through this or going through it and has some information please let me know. I'm concerned. Thank you!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,950 times
Default ??? Anyone else??

i one day was done showering and felt a lump right behind my ear on my neack lower ear area- had it for 6 months, was causing headaches just plain achiness on the side of my head and neck where it was located- went to the doctor- and a ear nose and throat doctor- everytime he gave me antibiotics and prednisone to see if it would take it away- every time i took the prednisone(which is a steroid) the lump would go alil bigger than pea sized to there but could hardly tell- also the pains would go away- yet as soon as the medice trail was done- it would flare right back up and become very nagging- My doctor said he is 95% sure it isnt cancer.. and that its just a lymph node that swole and never unswelled... i was like why does the medicine take it down. and as soon as im off it comes back.. so basically i have had it for about a year now- he thinks there is no problem... the only other option is to just remove it... anyone else have anything like that?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,703,403 times
Painless swollen lymph nodes should be biopsied, I wouldn't settle for anything less. A painful node that fluctuates in size based on any oral treatment is not cancer, most likely. However, if you decide to pursue removal, it will then be biopsied.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:50 AM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Painless swollen lymph nodes should be biopsied, I wouldn't settle for anything less. A painful node that fluctuates in size based on any oral treatment is not cancer, most likely. However, if you decide to pursue removal, it will then be biopsied.
This.

I am a lymphoma survivor who was misdiagnosed for 5 years. The ONLY way to tell if a lymph node is cancerous is through an excisional biopsy. Bloodwork does not always show anything (mine was totally normal on the day I was diagnosed, despite being stage IV with extensive tumor involvement). I'm suspicious of a doctor who says they can tell that a node is benign simply with an ultrasound. While there are certainly anatomical differences, they're not always apparent.

That said, keep in mind that 99.9% of swollen lymph nodes, especially at that age, are nothing. Sometimes lymph nodes just swell. I have a pea sized node under my jaw that is a shoddy node - it swelled up during a bout of tonsilitis and never went back to normal size. It keeps me nice and panicked given my health history, but has never been a problem.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 AM

13,852 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm suspicious of a doctor who says they can tell that a node is benign simply with an ultrasound.
True; an ultrasound will not detect that.

Quote:
That said, keep in mind that 99.9% of swollen lymph nodes, especially at that age, are nothing.
Right. Most surgeons will not biopsy without the patient showing other symptoms (for lymphoma, "B" symptoms).

Old 06-15-2015, 07:39 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Years ago, I had a pea-sized lump on my neck, just below my left ear. Actually, I never noticed it but my son saw it one day and said, "WTH is that?!" He insisted I had to see my doctor which I did and after testing, I was sent to see a head & neck surgeon.

Turns out that I had a pleomorphic adenoma; benign but inclined to enlarge and since it was in close proximity to my facial nerve, it was decided it had to be excised.

Following surgery, the surgeon told me that the thing was ON the facial nerve and removing it was a very delicate procedure; seems it could have caused permanent facial paralysis.

If I had a recurring lump, I think I'd ask for another opinion as to the source.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,950 times
thanks alot- the node isnt painful at all- it like the doctor said is just on or above a muscle so that mucle and whatever else is what makes the dull ache.. from time to time- but 85-90% of the time i cant tell its there unless i knick it or something.. sleep wrong.. and the muscle hurts from down the lower side of my neck..to where it feels sore.. almost all the time.. not bad.. just like i barely pulled a mucle.. all the way up.. my jaw and ear ache time to time.. and then a tingly fuzz in my brain.. its just too weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness