Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

I recently decided to change doctors. I have found when calling these preferred doctors offices, many are not taking new patients. When I do find one they only allow 15 minutes for the initial appt. That is fine with me, but it seems very rushed for a 1st appt, especially if one has serious health conditions. I am told when I make the appt that it is an introductory appt and not a medical one. No labs drawn or any type of medical exam being performed. It is to learn about the doctor and go over my medical history. I just went thru this type appt. I even called BC/BS about 15 min appts and my responsiblity for payment of them. It was basically dead air, they didn't know. I just got the bill for this 15 min.appt. I was charged my full copayment, This appt was rushed, I heard about the doctors backround and we went over ever so quickly my health history. I was given scripts for diabetes treatment without the benefit of labs being drawn. I have had diabetes since I was in my 20's I know blood work has to be drawn to determine my control of Diabetes. I did not fill the script and searched for another doctor, same song and dance thing 15 min initial visit no medical care done at that first appt. Is this all over the country now this type of doctors visit. It seems for lack of other words. A very ignorant way to treat a patient on a first appt, with no knowledge other than the patient giving their medical history. I think the doctor should give lab work and base his scripts on the outcome of those test. I also do not think a doctor should charge a full copayment for this type of visit, and bill the insurance for a complete doctors visit. Now I have to make a separate appt for labs drawn. All of this should have been inclusive in that first appt. It seems these intro appts are a way to hear what schools the doctors went to and about their family and hobbies. I don't feel this type of practice should be allowed, it is only forcing a patient to make a 2nd appt immedidately to receive actual health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I just had my first appointment with my new doctor yesterday and I was as dissapointed as you but for a different reason. (I had dumped my former doctor because he is a pill pusher).. You know how the nurse comes in and asks you all those questions and wants to know why you are there?.. Well, that was about the sum of my visit, without doing any tests or examining me, or even seeing me, he diagnosed me and had my prescriptions already made out when he came in the room to meet me. He handed me orders for a X-ray and blood work telling me we needed to do blood work, he is sure my cholesterol is high since I am not on a statin drug and once the test verifies it, he can get me started on them..

Guess I still need to find myself a new doctor.. I found that completely unacceptable.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Yes Im sorry your visit was also unsatisfactory. I also have dropped doctors over the pill issue also. In fact I have been doctor hopping since I moved to Portland. I don't know if its a sign of the times with the drug commercials on TV or what. The doctors offices at times have several Drug Reps waiting to see the doctor and we come out with a sample of medicine. I don't know what the answer is with the doctors, I think the whole situation is very frightening. I just finished my latest first appt with another doctor and he seemed better than the last one, so maybe there is hope. Good Luck with your search.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
I don't know if this is an option for you, for reasons of location and insurance coverage, but our family has used residency clinics for our medical care for decades, and we have been very, very happy with the level of care we've received. We've done this in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in McAllen, Texas and currently in Madison, Wisconsin. You might check with the nearest medical school to your community and inquire whether or not they have any family practice residency clinics in your area.

Among the differences we've seen in residency clinics is certainly the attitude on the part of the physician; when a resident sees you, he or she is new enough to the business that it's all still exciting and interesting to them, and they really take the time that's needed to do a full medical history. It's part of their training process, after all. They're also likelier to have the latest and most up-to-date knowledge of research, discoveries, techniques and treatments, since they've been in school a lot more recently than a physician that's been practicing for decades. And in every residency clinic we've ever used, the resident's diagnosis and proposed treatment is ALWAYS reviewed and approved by a teaching physician, which in essence means that even if you're just in there for a head cold, there are two doctors reviewing your case and your records.

Some people I know have pooh-poohed the notion of going to residency clinics because "that's where poor people go." Frankly, I see that as an advantage; a doctor who understands that not everyone in the world is independently wealthy and not everyone has health insurance is a lot likelier to suggest the most economical effective approach to any situation.

Good luck to you in your hunt for a physician in any case; hope you find someone you feel comfortable with.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 AM

274 posts, read 606,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I don't know if this is an option for you, for reasons of location and insurance coverage, but our family has used residency clinics for our medical care for decades, and we have been very, very happy with the level of care we've received. We've done this in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in McAllen, Texas and currently in Madison, Wisconsin. You might check with the nearest medical school to your community and inquire whether or not they have any family practice residency clinics in your area.
I second that.

I get all my dental work done at a dental school, where the students perform all the work. They are all closely supervised, and have to get their work approved before taking any action. It's also extremely cheap. (Which is awesome for a college student who has had toothaches for years!) The only downside is that you will probably have to block out more time for each appointment since the students/first year residents work at a slower pace than more experienced individuals. However, one of the best things about going to a school is that the students have not developed the horrible bedside manner yet!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Among the differences we've seen in residency clinics is certainly the attitude on the part of the physician; when a resident sees you, he or she is new enough to the business that it's all still exciting and interesting to them, and they really take the time that's needed to do a full medical history. It's part of their training process, after all. They're also likelier to have the latest and most up-to-date knowledge of research, discoveries, techniques and treatments, since they've been in school a lot more recently than a physician that's been practicing for decades. And in every residency clinic we've ever used, the resident's diagnosis and proposed treatment is ALWAYS reviewed and approved by a teaching physician, which in essence means that even if you're just in there for a head cold, there are two doctors reviewing your case and your records.

Some people I know have pooh-poohed the notion of going to residency clinics because "that's where poor people go." Frankly, I see that as an advantage; a doctor who understands that not everyone in the world is independently wealthy and not everyone has health insurance is a lot likelier to suggest the most economical effective approach to any situation.

Good luck to you in your hunt for a physician in any case; hope you find someone you feel comfortable with.
One of the problems I have been having is a severe shortage of doctors here in Portland, especially Internal Medicine Physicians. There are just to many people for the amount of doctors here. I did try just in the past 2 weeks what you mentioned the residency clinics. I tried right here in town at the Oregon Health Science University. It was a strange experience, I was told that none of the doctors were accepting new patients. I notified BC/BS of my problems finding a doctor and they got the same response from the Medical school. I luckily did just last week find a doctor at a leading health clinic and it seems like it might be a good fit for me there. I think some regions of the country are experiencing shortages of doctors.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
I just went to a new doc, an ENT, that has interests in allergy and immunology. I was there 2 hours with him. YES 2 hours. He does that with all new patients. He did politely excuse himself twice to take important calls, but came back quickly.

good luck

Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think some regions of the country are experiencing shortages of doctors.
I suspect that you've nailed the problem. I've heard from several sources that primary-care physicians are diminishing in numbers, and that the inevitable outcome is less care available for all. It's a real shame that doctors seem to feel the only way they can pay off their student loan debt is to go into one of the lucrative sub-specialties rather than providing basic good health care, but on an economic level, I guess I can understand it.

I hope the doc you've found now proves to be a good fit for you, and that you get the care you need. Good luck to you.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I suspect that you've nailed the problem. I've heard from several sources that primary-care physicians are diminishing in numbers, and that the inevitable outcome is less care available for all. It's a real shame that doctors seem to feel the only way they can pay off their student loan debt is to go into one of the lucrative sub-specialties rather than providing basic good health care, but on an economic level, I guess I can understand it.

I hope the doc you've found now proves to be a good fit for you, and that you get the care you need. Good luck to you.
Thanks, I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness