U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The need for human touch vs. the need to touch.
There is a need for the human touch 5 20.83%
There is a need TO touch. 1 4.17%
Makes no difference to me, either way. 0 0%
There is a need for both. 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times

Advertisements

I would like to know peoples thoughts on this subject.

I have been thinking about this the past few days. I feel there is a need for touch. On the flip side of this, I feel there is a need TO touch.

Now, I am not trying to be perverted, nothing like that. But truly, how does it make you feel to rub someones back? Someone you love? Their hair? Their neck? Arms and shoulders.

My need to touch is just as strong as the need to be touched. Who knows, maybe there is not a need. Maybe it just feels good to have a hand slide over the skin, or just have the heat from another persons arm against yours as you you begin to fall asleep.

Is there a need? Do we prosper physically, mentally from the human touch, whether it be given or received?

What is your take on this?

Also, is your skin more sensitive to touch some times more than others? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
They did a study a while back at several hospitals in the USA on Premature babies and the one's where the nurses and mothers touched them alot like hold and massage their hands and arms etc..those babies survived better than the ones that recieved very little touch.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM

I would def agree with that...

Old 10-16-2008, 12:52 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I would like to know peoples thoughts on this subject.

I have been thinking about this the past few days. I feel there is a need for touch. On the flip side of this, I feel there is a need TO touch.

Now, I am not trying to be perverted, nothing like that. But truly, how does it make you feel to rub someones back? Someone you love? Their hair? Their neck? Arms and shoulders.

My need to touch is just as strong as the need to be touched. Who knows, maybe there is not a need. Maybe it just feels good to have a hand slide over the skin, or just have the heat from another persons arm against yours as you you begin to fall asleep.

Is there a need? Do we prosper physically, mentally from the human touch, whether it be given or received?

What is your take on this?

Also, is your skin more sensitive to touch some times more than others? Why?
I agree with your post. Alienation and children who dont receive affection from parents, grow up feeling rejected.

Also, in marriage, even small things can count.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,640,714 times
I believe that touching and being touched are important, however I do not like being touched-other than a handshake- by someone I am not emotionally close to.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I believe that touching and being touched are important, however I do not like being touched-other than a handshake- by someone I am not emotionally close to.
I can agree with that... a little..

Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
I think it's a pollination thing; when you touch, you're auras feed off one-another, which helps them grow, thus making you feel better.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
I believe (strongly) that the need to touch and being touched is a basic need that comes close to food and shelter. Sometimes it's described as "skin hunger", as an actual craving to have skin to skin contact with another human being. I think people who are regularly and daily being touched (and touch) by their loved ones are generally much happier and content individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness