U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7014 View Post
I use mine until it hurts to shave. Meaning it is pulling the hair out instead of shaving it. Maybe a month.
I also use the pain method to know when to replace the razor, but usually longer than a month.
I heard once that mixing a little conditioner to the shave cream make beard softer and shave smoother, so now when i'm in the shower, I wash my hair and lather my face with shampoo before applying shave cream. I have done that for years and love the results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 AM

926 posts, read 2,400,357 times
when I notice Im no longer getting a close shave, about once every month/month and a half. But it also depends on how often I shave. I thinkt he longest has been 3 months but I was in and out of the hospital so I really couldnt shave too often.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Try storing your razor under a pyramid (http://jdowdee.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm#pyramid%20power - broken link) between shaves. It will extend the life of the blade. Even though there's quite a bit of controversy regarding pyramid power, I've been using pyramid power quite effectively for many years. It works like a charm for me......regardless of the controversy. You can build a simple pyramid out of plain old cardboard.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times
Or a really neat one made out of plexiglass and clear caulking. (pyramid)
Would be a creative way to hide the razor too if you painted it for a little bathroom knick knack.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:40 AM

I've constructed some rather elaborate pyramids over the years, including one like you mention above. I had a pyramid frame in the back yard for many years. I loved the vibe there. It was a fun place to hang out. For my razorblade pyramid, I use one made of colored matt board ( picture framing material ), with clear glue beaded into the external corners. I made it many years ago. I probably used about 25 cents worth of materials and saved at least a $100 on razor blades and shaving creme by now!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM

188 posts, read 470,184 times
Default Razor blade changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just curious, I always have wondered how long you can use one for. No one has given me a definitive answer.
For the past 50 years I've used a double edged safety razor. I'm not sure what is so safe obout them but I guess compared to the straight razor that came before them they are much safer at least in my hands. I can shave every three days with a safey razor but I have to shave every day with an electric. How can an electric with the cutters not touching the skin possible shave as close as the blade against the skin. Don't forget though the blade barely has to touch the skin. If you forget that along comes blood and burn and bumps. I have found that the best way to find out if you need a new blade is if you ever have to go over the same area twice that side is dull. Switch to the other side if you still have to go over an area twice the blade is done for. I never have a clue which side I've used and which side I haven't.
I used to buy expensive blades but then when I didn't have much money I bought cheap ones and that is when I discovered expensive doesn't necessarily mean any better.
If you have to go over the same area twice you are inviting razor burn, cuts and besides that it's a waste of time and I hate the way a dull blade pulls. If you use the blade until it won't shave worth a hoot you can probably get dozens of shaves out of it. I usually get about four. I buy my blades at Walmart for $1.69 for 10 of them so each shave costs around 5 cents. They are called Personna-stainless steel platinum chrome. They are made by the American Safety Razor Company since 1875 (They should have practiced long enough to make a good blade).
An aside - I had to laugh when I saw a list of the most shop lifted items one time and razor blades was on it.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
I use a Gillette Venus razor, and I change the blade when I open a new can of shaving cream. Probably every 3-4 weeks I would guess.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM

13Levine wrote:
If you have to go over the same area twice you are inviting razor burn,
Not true at all for me. I've never get razor burn, and I always go over the same area twice for a closer shave, even with a brand new blade. BTW, I get at least 60 shaves from each blade. I use no shaving creme or soap. Before shaving, I soften my beard with a wash cloth soaked in hot water. I store my razor under a small cardboard pyramid to keep it sharp.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 PM

188 posts, read 470,184 times
Default shaving and blades

I view shaving sort of the same as mowing the lawn. If I look back and see a single blade of grass sticking up there is a problem. I'm going to fast, the blade is dull or chipped and it is a total waste of time going over it again so why not do it right the first time and be done with it. I guess I probably should be trying to get my cost of shaving down from a nickel every two or three days. For me it is one the cheapest things I do. Wow, it boggles my mind when I think of all the nickels I've wasted in my life on other things that I didn't even need. The people who worry about the price of razor blades are either dirt poor or filthy rich. I guess I'm in the dirt poor category but just have much bigger things to worry about, like food and other necessities that cost many times as much as a razor blade and won't be effected by getting my shaving cost down a penny a week. Hmm, that IS 52 cents a year.
I couldn't find where said I ever had razor rash.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM

I'd rather shave than mow the grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness