U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,338,831 times

Advertisements

I'm 50 and have had signs of perimenopause for about 4 or 5 years. My periods are regular (though my cycles are shortening,) but I've got the irritability, lack of libido, memory loss, and when I'm under stress, I feel uncomfortably warm. However, today was different. I woke up this morning and felt this underlying sense of doom or dread. Something just didn't feel right. About an hour later, suddenly, the sense of doom got worse, I felt totally nauseous and then about 30 seconds later, this unbelievable heat started at my ribs and went up my body to my face and head. I have never felt so hot in my life. It lasted about 2 minutes during which I was sure death was imminent, then I cooled off. Afterwards I just felt yucky with a mild headache, then I got very cold. This has happened twice more today in exactly the same way.

Are these hot flashes? Is the feeling of dread, impending doom and nausea normal? Is there any way to stop this? Does this last long? Today has been just a miserable day . I appreciate any advice or reassurance that this won't last the rest of my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM

2,956 posts, read 11,044,000 times
Yes.

Hormone therapy can work wonders. You might want to check it out.

~~soon we can all expect the usual heated debate about how menopause is 'natural' and isn't a medical condition that requires treatment, how Premarin is distilled from horse urine and how icky that is and how could someone put that into their body, and about the cancer/hormone replacement connection~~

But life is full of choices and risks. You can choose to endure the misery of 'nature' or you can choose some of the effective remedies. Your choice.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM

6,235 posts, read 18,128,267 times
I am taking Estroven; been on 4 or 5 days now. I didn't expect it to work so soon but I'm not running hot and cold the last day or two. It has vitamins and minerals in it and you can get it at a warehouse store for a much better price than a drug store. Won't work for everyone but the vitamins and minerals are an added bonus for any woman.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,513,606 times
Default I said NO to drugs

Every woman experiences menopause with different symptoms. I chose to follow nature's path without drugs -- and I survived the hot flashes, etc. without risking the side effects of pharmaceuticals

I used to live in s/Florida at the time - and learned to "layer" my clothing when indoors with the a/c and outdoors in the humidity. If the HEAT overtook me while I was shopping in the supermarket I'd make an excuse to open the frozen-food doors and get a moment of relief from the cold air Yeah, I survived !

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 PM

566 posts, read 1,255,954 times
Yes, I would say that you are having hot flashes or as I heard someone refer to them as "inner nuclear explosions". I too have been going through this. My husband caught me once standing in front of the freezer. The poor man has had to endure me with a remote controlled fan at night. When I am hot..fan on, blankets off. Then of course I am cold and it is fan off, blankets on. I tried Estroven but for me it did nothing. Others have had great success with it. I can not take hormone replacement. My doctor prescribed other medication for me. There are those that choose to go the natural route. It is a personal choice. You are not going crazy although at times you may feel that way. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you would like to discuss it further with someone else going through the same thing, feel free to dm me.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,693,157 times
could be acid reflux. This happens more frequently than you think with many people. If it happens only when you are lying down and sleeping it's probably acid reflux.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,263,820 times
Sounds more like a panic attack.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Sounds more like a panic attack.
I thought at first it was a panic attack as I used to have these many years ago, but when the overwhelming heat overtook me, I began to think maybe it was a hot flash.

As far as acid reflux goes, I do have this, but these hot flashes hit when I was standing up and working around the house. I tend to have the acid reflux issues at night when I'm lying down (if I've eaten too late or haven't watched what I was eating.)

Thanks to all of you for the words of advice. I'm pretty convinced now that they were hot flashes. Other than my periods getting closer together, the hot flashes are the first true physical signs of impending menopause. I'll be so happy to be done with this transition stuff!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,589,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I'm 50 and have had signs of perimenopause for about 4 or 5 years. My periods are regular (though my cycles are shortening,) but I've got the irritability, lack of libido, memory loss, and when I'm under stress, I feel uncomfortably warm. However, today was different. I woke up this morning and felt this underlying sense of doom or dread. Something just didn't feel right. About an hour later, suddenly, the sense of doom got worse, I felt totally nauseous and then about 30 seconds later, this unbelievable heat started at my ribs and went up my body to my face and head. I have never felt so hot in my life. It lasted about 2 minutes during which I was sure death was imminent, then I cooled off. Afterwards I just felt yucky with a mild headache, then I got very cold. This has happened twice more today in exactly the same way.

Are these hot flashes? Is the feeling of dread, impending doom and nausea normal? Is there any way to stop this? Does this last long? Today has been just a miserable day . I appreciate any advice or reassurance that this won't last the rest of my life!
Might be a good idea to check in with your provider just to rule anything else out, good luck

Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,641,254 times
Sense of doom? hey, you are doing great. I had these irrational irges to get my hands around someone's-anyones- neck and choke the living daylights out of them. I resisted, of course. My cousin had a light heart attack a couple of years ago and the Dr. told her it might be related to menopause. I suppose that is natural and we need to ride that out too? Just thought I'd throw that out there before anybody starts the natural, better learn to put up with it bit. If you are going to say it, go ahead, just please do not do so while I'm having a hot flash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness