U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 PM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole_english View Post
I had a bout of shingles in 2010 on my upper right arm. Didn't know that's what it was at the time and didn't go to the doctor. I just let it run it's course, but talking to the doctor, he said that is what I had. Since then I have had so much pain in my arms. I have had elbow surgery, where the nerve was moved to the side of my arm, carpal tunnel surgery and trigger finger surgery. All on the same side. I have been to more doctors than I can count. The rheumatologist insists I have fibro myalgia. I am on all kinds of pain meds, but they really don't help. The pain makes my daily life very difficult. I really hope you find relief because it sucks.
I had the ulnar nerve transfer surgery about 40 years ago. What a joke. Mine came loose and it's right back where it used to be. Wonderful when I bang it on something...

For the rest of it: Do you take statins for cholesterol? If so try stopping them for a couple of weeks and monitor your pain. I was diagnosed with fiber myalgia by one doctor (I'm male), but no amount of pain killers would help, and i was taking some serious pain killers. Gabapentin did help some, but didn't really address the problem.

I stopped taking statins earlier this year and I have no pain, I'm not tired and sluggish, and the diabetes-like pains in my feet are gone.

Now I have to find a replacement for the statins.

Edit: I forgot. I had shingles in 2009. Started in my left eye and moved to the forehead and over to the nape. Then onto my nose. Gabapentin saved me. I had echos from it for about 3 years, but it seems to have subsided for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 AM

2,024 posts, read 4,470,760 times
Even though this post was started in 2008, I had shingles as a teenager in 1995 in high school or at least that's what my mom told me I had at the time. It did eventually clear up on its own without going to any doctor.
I still have all these years later a patch of scars on my left bicep, left peck, and worse scars all over the left side my back and shoulder and big scars up and down the left side of my neck.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 630 times
I had shingles 3 years ago. I know have burning stabbing on fire sensations in my arms wrist trunk chest. It's terrible. I take four lyrica , two cymbalta and two savilla a day. I have pain every single day!!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,485,320 times
Our insurance covered the Shingles anti-virus shots once we turned 62. My husband and I received the shots late last year. I am so sorry for the suffering you are all going through...I had no idea how miserable shingles is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness