U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,214,611 times
Default Shingles...years later

Does anyone have personal experience or general knowledge about the long-term effects of shingles?

I had a small patch on my back over four years ago. It wasn't a big deal.

I've had pain flare ups in my arms and back for the last two years. I've been to more doctors than I care to count. No one has been able to diagnose the reason for my discomfort.

I totally forgot about the shingles. Could this have something to do with what I've been dealing with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM

17,694 posts, read 16,899,837 times
I know of patients who get them over and over.... usually very painful on the torso area. I hope it clears up for you. A lot of Rheumatoid patients have this problem for some reason. I have not yet, so far.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
San

54 posts, read 276,109 times
That could be your problem. I have a friend that had shingles and she's had trouble off and on for years. If you are 60 or older it's good for anyone to go get the new shingles vaccine. We did. It's a bit pricey but it's sure better than getting shingles.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 PM

1,954 posts, read 3,017,914 times
I had shingles twenty years ago. I still get pain and weird sensations along the nerves, mostly on the right side of the chest (typical of shingles). For all I know, I may have had recurrence at least once without the breakout of blisters. I find that exercise and breathing exercises tends to eliminate them. Do a search for shingles and neuralgia, and you'll find the information you need. Rest, sleep, and diet may also be important if your immune system is vulnerable to herpes zoster.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:40 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Google : prodrome.

Next time it happens ask the doctor for a anti-viral script for it. If it goes away fast, its from your shingles. And since its been going on like it has I would just get a full screen for everything. Once you know you are generally healthy work on boosting your immune system with diet and exercise.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,214,611 times
Thanks for all the responses! I will pursue more input locally and would welcome any additional info anyone here may be able to provide.

I seemed to develop the small outbreak of shingles after I was hospitalized for over a week with a very serious kidney infection. My doctor mentioned that she thought the outbreak was from having been so run down with the infection.

I've never, even to this day, ever had so much a cold sore/fever blister.

This has been a long two years of visiting traditional medical practitioners, so if anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'm open for anything!

P.S. Pikantari, it's nice to see you. I hope you and the kids are doing well.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:07 PM

17,694 posts, read 16,899,837 times
P.S. Pikantari, it's nice to see you. I hope you and the kids are doing well.

Hi Rockky.... good to see you as well, As far as how we are, a whole new novel, unfortunately...

Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM

139 posts, read 470,345 times
My sister recently had shingles, and she was told by her dr that the pain could linger for years and that the spot (on her face) would always be sensitive.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 AM

398 posts, read 857,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Does anyone have personal experience or general knowledge about the long-term effects of shingles?

I had a small patch on my back over four years ago. It wasn't a big deal.

I've had pain flare ups in my arms and back for the last two years. I've been to more doctors than I care to count. No one has been able to diagnose the reason for my discomfort.

I totally forgot about the shingles. Could this have something to do with what I've been dealing with?
Shingles can lead to "postherpetic neuralgia," a painful condition which can occur anywhere from days to years after an outbreak. Doctors often prescribe nortriptyline as a prophylactic measure.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,862 times
I had a bout of shingles in 2010 on my upper right arm. Didn't know that's what it was at the time and didn't go to the doctor. I just let it run it's course, but talking to the doctor, he said that is what I had. Since then I have had so much pain in my arms. I have had elbow surgery, where the nerve was moved to the side of my arm, carpal tunnel surgery and trigger finger surgery. All on the same side. I have been to more doctors than I can count. The rheumatologist insists I have fibro myalgia. I am on all kinds of pain meds, but they really don't help. The pain makes my daily life very difficult. I really hope you find relief because it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness