U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,518,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Eh...I don't know. Sometimes after eating the Bean burrito+Enchilada+Chile Relleno special at my favorite Mexican restaurant, I sometimes get a little queasy.

Coincidence?
no, sir, jalapenos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 128,722 times
I am up here in NJ and we got hit by the flu badly! I cannot remember a time when 9 people in the same family all got it at the same time! My daughter had her first bday and the whole family ( well 9 of them) got the stomach bug the day after. (no it was food posioning) It was horrible! It was like a barf-a-rama! Awful! It is all over the country. They almost shut down my sons school. Too many sick kids. Be health everyone! Summer is coming!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM

842 posts, read 3,048,608 times
Ugh...wish me luck. My wife came down with it yesterday. I feel it's only a matter of time before I succumb.

I'm washing my hands constantly, and now I'm breaking out with painful psoriasis from it

On the bright side, the worst of it only seemed to last about 12 hours for her. That makes me think it's the Norovirus, and not the Rotavirus that she has, since Norovirus typically only lasts 24 hours.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 40,305 times
Quote:
I'm washing my hands constantly, and now I'm breaking out with painful psoriasis from it
LOL, on top of that you get sick anyway.

I thought i would post up my experience with this 'stomach virus' as it seems to be changing.

A few weeks back my 2 and a half year old son cought what I thought was a reg old nose cold. You know the green boogers and all, however other than the boogies and snots he didn't seem bothered at all. About 3 days later I came down with the same thing, nasty green boogers with a little blood and all. I kept getting this big buildup of green boogers in my right nostril once I blew it out I could breath so well again. It was as if the virus was hiding or hanging out in my nose developing stronger and stronger. The whole time my enegy level and food intake was normal, the nose thing at best was only annoying. Also to note my wife, mother in law and father in law never cought it.

This lasted for about 10 days. My son got over this so called cold about 3 days before me and everything seemed fine...or so I thought. About the 3rd of 4th morning I went in to get my son from his crib only to find him standing there in a bunch of vomit. Just great, I really hate it when my son gets this crap becouse we almost always get it despite handwashing ect... Anyway he developed severe nausea and could not keep anything down for about 3 days, he was very fatigued. On the 4th day his stomach was still upset but could hold down small amounts of food but developed diarrhea and one hell of a diper rash. This lasted about another 3-4 days.

Now about 3 days after I shook the nose cold just like my son I developed the nasty stomach bug...And I mean what a nasty one indeed. It hit me like a train and started out with lots of yawning as if I suddenly became very tired about 4pm. My stomach felt fine so I had a cup of coffe thinking i needed alittle boost. Then about 6pm these really bad chills kicked in, and I mean my hands and feet were like ice, I was so damb cold, colder than I had ever felt in my life, I thought I was going to freeze to death. My stomack was upset and though i never vomited I had diarrhea and nausea for 2 days straight. The thought of food made me gag and I was so tired I could barly move, yet the nuasea and body aches kept me from sleeping over a hour at a time. I was also so damb thirsty, I wanted to chug down a whole thing of Gatorade so many times but feared it would have just came right back up. So instead I just sipped (wanting to chug) ever hour or so to try and quench my thirst.

I am writing about this whole experience so others may draw their own conclusion and be aware of such a strange illness. Here is mine, I would bet anything on the nose booger cold being related the later much stronger stomach virus. It's as if the virus finds a host in the nasal passage then strengthens or matures over a period of 7-10 days, at which time moves down into the stomach by way of the host swallowing mucus (I remember swallowing heavy thick mucus left over my the nose cold a few days before getting the full blown symtoms, infact I remember my stomach being a bit upset after doing so) the virus takes hold a few days later in the gut and WAMMM you have a nasty stomach virus. Over all the cold/stomach bug lasted over 2 weeks with severe symptoms lasting only 2-3 days though my son was or seemed sicker than I was.

No one else cought this bug despite 3 other adults being in the house and all around my son. They kept saying "I hope I don't catch that" I simply told them "If you didn't have a booger nose cold you are safe". I wish I could find more info on such a virus but can't find anything. Were the 2 related or did my son and I have 2 diff viruses?

I'm located in CT, and have a stronge feeling my son brought this home from daycare. I swear daycares are the breeding grounds for disease and illness, I simply hate them. One last interesting fact. I was taking a product called Airborne before I even cought the nose cold and took it all the way till I got really sick. Stuff does not work if you ask me as I have got sick another time wile using the product. Money is better spent elseware

What does everyone else think?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 AM

653 posts, read 2,823,800 times
Rodman -
My kids (and probably my husband and I soon enough) have been hit by a very similar scenario, with a doctor's diagnosis. We had colds last week, which we got over, but my 6 year old daughter was just diagnosed Tuesday with the flu. Yes, the real flu, with the same symptoms you described. Her fever got as high as 104.3, hands and feet turned icy and blue - terrifying, since we went through the whole seizure thing when she was younger. Fortunately, a warm bath brought it down, but she couldn't keep medicine down. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme fatigue... Today, we're hovering in the 101's and thankful for it, in the fourth day.
The doctor said they've seen a lot of flu already, and following the little cold, her immune system was just weaker. My son threw up once and had a small fever for a couple days, but now he's bouncing off the walls. We should all be so lucky.
I haven't had 2 consecutive hours sleep in 4 days, but my poor baby can't even hold her head up. At least now, she's keeping some water down, and can manage to nibble a cracker, but she can't sleep for the cough. She doesn't even want me to touch her, so I just read to her and keep her company. She's dosing now, I should be too... I'm a little loopy myself.

Stay healthy, everyone!! My house is quarrantined...

Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 40,305 times
NCHomeFinder

Thanx for the insite. However I don't think we had the FLU, the flu is a respiratory infection often causing difficult breathing and cough. Nuasea and diarrhea are common with kids who have the flu but not so much with adults. Thats why I found this 'bug' more interesting than some cold or flu as stomach viruses rarly cause any type of head cold like the one my son and I had. Plus my son had a flu shot, had no cough, could breath freely ect. Though the booger cold kept him up coughing at night it was due to the mucus from the nose and not an infection in the lungs.

Then again I'm no doctor and we may have just had I bad flu, but no respiratory symtoms makes me wonder. I guess the 'booger cold' in the begining could have been the flu's start but still nothing ever spread to the lungs or any type of 'head cold' was noticed. Why would the small cold 'go away' then come out later as a full blown sickness to the stomach with a short but high fever and body aches.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:01 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,513,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
LOL, on top of that you get sick anyway.

I thought i would post up my experience with this 'stomach virus' as it seems to be changing.

A few weeks back my 2 and a half year old son cought what I thought was a reg old nose cold. You know the green boogers and all, however other than the boogies and snots he didn't seem bothered at all. About 3 days later I came down with the same thing, nasty green boogers with a little blood and all. I kept getting this big buildup of green boogers in my right nostril once I blew it out I could breath so well again. It was as if the virus was hiding or hanging out in my nose developing stronger and stronger. The whole time my enegy level and food intake was normal, the nose thing at best was only annoying. Also to note my wife, mother in law and father in law never cought it.

This lasted for about 10 days. My son got over this so called cold about 3 days before me and everything seemed fine...or so I thought. About the 3rd of 4th morning I went in to get my son from his crib only to find him standing there in a bunch of vomit. Just great, I really hate it when my son gets this crap becouse we almost always get it despite handwashing ect... Anyway he developed severe nausea and could not keep anything down for about 3 days, he was very fatigued. On the 4th day his stomach was still upset but could hold down small amounts of food but developed diarrhea and one hell of a diper rash. This lasted about another 3-4 days.

Now about 3 days after I shook the nose cold just like my son I developed the nasty stomach bug...And I mean what a nasty one indeed. It hit me like a train and started out with lots of yawning as if I suddenly became very tired about 4pm. My stomach felt fine so I had a cup of coffe thinking i needed alittle boost. Then about 6pm these really bad chills kicked in, and I mean my hands and feet were like ice, I was so damb cold, colder than I had ever felt in my life, I thought I was going to freeze to death. My stomack was upset and though i never vomited I had diarrhea and nausea for 2 days straight. The thought of food made me gag and I was so tired I could barly move, yet the nuasea and body aches kept me from sleeping over a hour at a time. I was also so damb thirsty, I wanted to chug down a whole thing of Gatorade so many times but feared it would have just came right back up. So instead I just sipped (wanting to chug) ever hour or so to try and quench my thirst.

I am writing about this whole experience so others may draw their own conclusion and be aware of such a strange illness. Here is mine, I would bet anything on the nose booger cold being related the later much stronger stomach virus. It's as if the virus finds a host in the nasal passage then strengthens or matures over a period of 7-10 days, at which time moves down into the stomach by way of the host swallowing mucus (I remember swallowing heavy thick mucus left over my the nose cold a few days before getting the full blown symtoms, infact I remember my stomach being a bit upset after doing so) the virus takes hold a few days later in the gut and WAMMM you have a nasty stomach virus. Over all the cold/stomach bug lasted over 2 weeks with severe symptoms lasting only 2-3 days though my son was or seemed sicker than I was.

No one else cought this bug despite 3 other adults being in the house and all around my son. They kept saying "I hope I don't catch that" I simply told them "If you didn't have a booger nose cold you are safe". I wish I could find more info on such a virus but can't find anything. Were the 2 related or did my son and I have 2 diff viruses?

I'm located in CT, and have a stronge feeling my son brought this home from daycare. I swear daycares are the breeding grounds for disease and illness, I simply hate them. One last interesting fact. I was taking a product called Airborne before I even cought the nose cold and took it all the way till I got really sick. Stuff does not work if you ask me as I have got sick another time wile using the product. Money is better spent elseware

What does everyone else think?
Rodman... thanks for sharing this. I have EXACTLY the same symptoms. Came down with the cold/nasal part of it 13 days ago, flying a redeye flight back from California (with a layover in JFK). The nasal issues ended this weekend, but this morning ... bam, hit with the stomach bug. Doing a small bit better tonight but still feel like total crap in general.

So... won't see much of me around here the next few days. :-(

Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 PM

653 posts, read 2,823,800 times
Default need some thoughts/prayers

Just an update. My 6 year old daughter has been hospitalized with severe bacterial pneumonia brought on by the flu. This morning, they operated to insert a chest tube to relieve the pressure, and while it was successful, they're saying even after she is released, she'll be homebound on IV antibiotics for 3-4 weeks.

Send up a prayer or a happy thought!
Thanks,
NCH

Old 02-25-2007, 09:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,936,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Just an update. My 6 year old daughter has been hospitalized with severe bacterial pneumonia brought on by the flu. This morning, they operated to insert a chest tube to relieve the pressure, and while it was successful, they're saying even after she is released, she'll be homebound on IV antibiotics for 3-4 weeks.

Thanks,
NCH
Oh no!! Hope she gets better fast!!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM

45,269 posts, read 92,211,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post

Thanks,
NCH
Oh no! Your child is at the top of my prayer list tonight!
Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness