U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM

274 posts, read 545,860 times

Advertisements

I quit smoking six weeks ago. Obviously, I expected to gain some weight after quitting. But, I have always been healthy, physically active, frequent the gym, and my metabolism is pretty decent. (I am also still young, a 21y/o female). However, I have RAPIDLY gained a SUBSTANTIAL amount of weight in only six weeks, and I'm pretty sure it is unhealthy. I do not own a scale (I think they are stupid and I go by how my clothes fit and how I look), but I am estimating that I gained between 10 and 20 lbs in six weeks. I can BARELY fit into clothes that used to be two sizes too big on me.

I have been eating more than usual and slightly larger portions (again, as expected), but I have been consciously eating healthy and semi-healthy snacks. (ie. a whole lot of carrots, butter free popcorn, etc.)

For someone who doesn't sit on the couch all day and has always been muscular and within a healthy weight, is this normal after quitting smoking???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
Yes, the times I have managed to quit smoking, I have gained 20 pounds in about 3 weeks. I know a lot of people who quit and gained tons of weight..

However, my boss quit over a year ago and he weighed himself every day and would eat according to what the scale said and he has maintained his weight that he was while smoking. On previous attempts to quit he gained weight and he was determined not to gain any weight this time.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM

274 posts, read 545,860 times
But is this common for people who are physically active as well?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Honestly count your cals. Overeating is overeating no matter what type of food it is.
I didnt gain when I quit at all. But I was watching what I eat.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,816 times
I think it's not healthy. Gaining wieght so rapidly may be a sign of a medical issue. Do not hesitate to make a visit to your family doctor.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Yes, it IS common to gain stupid amounts of weight after quitting smoking. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant, and your body has been temporarily hot-wired to thrive with that lowered appetite all this time. Now, suddenly, your body no longer has that "brake system" that nicotine provided, and is careening downhill on the landslide to weight gain.

You now have to apply the brakes manually. It's not easy, but it's not rare either. Almost everyone I know who quit, gained a minimum of 10 pounds in a couple of weeks after their last cigarette. The only ones who didn't gain more, were the ones who learned -within- those couple of weeks, how to adjust their eating to accommodate an increased appetite, without succumbing to eating fattening foods.

I gained 40 pounds, but it took the last 3 years since I've had my last cigarette, to get this heavy.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
The cigarettes were probably a reason you had a better-than-many metabolism. You mention that you are eating larger portions and still eating snacks. Even if you exercise religiously, you're probably going to have to cut down on your food intake. Pitt_transplant is correct -- it doesn't matter what kind of food you eat if you take in more calories than your body is burning off. I know an overweight vegan.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,337,228 times
I read somewhere when I was in the process of quitting that smoking a single cigarette burns 20 calories. I smoked 20 cigarettes a day - 400 calories right there that I was no longer burning (pun not intended!) Yes, I did gain weight in the year after I quit and kept it on for quite a while, but my doctor always said it was better to be heavier than to be a smoker. I loved the appetite suppressant quality if nicotine, but the freedom from being a slave to cigarettes and smelling better and not wheezing and not feeling like a social pariah has far outweighed that one negative. This August 12th will be my 17th anniversary for being free from smoking (I smoked for 17 years prior to that.) I will admit that it was truly awful quitting - please hang in there when the going gets tough. It really is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or