U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
My daughter, age 20, had similar symptoms. She rushed herself to the hospital once, in a sweat and clammy and felt like something was stuck in her throat.
They x-rayed...nothing. And then sent her home. This feeling would come and go like attacks. I think any chest like pain in a young person causes panic, hence sounding more like a panic attack.

My daughter also tends to get hives and would get horrible hives when she had this sensation of something stuck in her throat.
We really couldn't figure out what it was and then she went to a Gastro Dr. and he did an endoscopy and found that she had quite a large ulcer in her esophagus. She started taking Nexium, and was fine in a week.

Stomach issues can have a range of symptoms that are very hard to diagnose, not everyone gets the acid reflux feel of heartburn.
In my case, I feel a warm sensation coming from my chest, right down the breastbone.

And the cartilage at the base of my breast bone is very tender. I also have pain in my back directly behind this spot in my breastbone..spear-like.

Well, after an endoscopy and finding out my stomach was 'not happy', I took Nexium and all symptoms disappeared, including the tenderness at the breastbone.

There is also a condition called 'globus', which basically is a sensation of something being stuck in the throat but it is psychological.
I was sure this was going to be my daughter's case...good thing she had the endoscopy!
So was the ulcer caused from gerd?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,690,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookymscr View Post
Hi - I too have had these symptoms for years. Everyone was so convinced that it was panic. Well after landing in the hospital recently from taking a thyroid medication - it was found that I have autoimmune issues, thyroid & celiac. since they went undetected for sooooo many years I have developed allergies to food, chemicals, fragrance, medicines and so on.... guess what the panic attacks for me were really allergic reactions - i am truly lucky to have gotten an answer. Doesn't mean that is what is going on for you, but don't assume because it was not your heart that it couldn't be something as simple as having a histamine overload. 30 years later my family finally realizes it was physical and not emotional!
funny before they found my thyroid problem I became allergic to things.
I also had the thyroid problem for years before it was discovered. I am glad you got it handled and they figured it out and hopefully you are doing well now.
Thats right I had Dr.s tell me there is nothing wrong with me and to go get a hobby! while all along I had a thyroid problem.
Keep going to the Dr if you think you need to and also do research online and try to find your own information and go to your dr with the results of your search. If you think tests are pertinent to your symptoms ask for them to be done.
You may have to become a bit of a Dr yourself.
Thyroid, hypertension and other things will make your heart flip around too.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
That is definitely a panic attack, whether you know it or not. Typically when you're panicking, one cannot attach the feeling to any 'real' thought. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 14, have been on Klonopin for 10 years, and now, at 24 and being a recovering alcoholic, I have made the personal choice to get off of the medication. Now, that I am getting off of it, I am having some of the symptoms of anxiety that were identical 10 years ago: jaw clenching and/or unknowingly grinding my teeth, upset stomach and/or diaherra (which was misdiagnosed for IBS when I was 14... had a Upper and Lower GI and they never found anything. they also thought I might have been lactose intolerant, which I am not), the only thing I don't really have any more is the sort of 'blurring' effect of the vision where it feels like I could pass out at any moment, which I did pass out once when I was younger with no thought behind it whatsoever ... didn't feel nervous or anything, just hit me like a ton of bricks. The anxiety now, compared to while on medication is just a little different... although I do know being medicated for a long period of time can cause 'rebound symptoms' which it did.. the medication began to cause what it was treating... such as that racing heart/chest pain/omg heart attack feeling/throat swelling/omg i cant breathe. Anxiety manifests in many different forms and the trick about it is sometimes we don't *consciously* know that we are making ourselves anxious. It's sort of a defense mechanism run rampant and when you're mind/body/spirit absolutely cannot handle what is going on, it is our body's natural defense to just SHUT DOWN and resume later... with or without our conscious thought or permission. I wish you the best of luck. It's not a sign of weakness or anything, so don't beat yourself up about it. To be honest, we all have some amounts of anxiety and it's healthy, however, for me I know our society has fed a lot of my anxiety... and there are just a lot of things that are out of my control. I know it's easier for me to say, but if there is any suggestion I can give it's definitely find a psychologist to speak with (not a psychiatrist, unless you're like I was and just wanna be doped up and numbed out of life) so you can get down to the real issue. Taking medication is no cure for anything. I am the perfect example. Let me say this again: I began on medication at FOURTEEN years old, I am now TWENTY-FOUR, and getting off of it, I have the *saaaame* issues I had TEN years ago. It does not go away. Medication only helped me work through it. I am grateful for the medication and that it exists because I know I would not be alive right now if it was not for it, however, doctors are seriously trigger happy with pills trying to treat an illness that really can be resolved in some therapy sessions, but instead, one begins to rely on the medication to get by. If panic attacks persist, medication will help, but I would advise against taking it for more than 3 months. It is not just mentally addicting. I never abused my medication. My body became physically addicted to it. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this before (knowingly) but it's quite devestating/a blessing to get sober from alcohol, knowing it was ruining my life, and then all of a sudden I see that OMG I've taken a controlled substance for 10 years and have never thought twice about it because I rely on health care professionals like a lot of other Americans... I was misinformed... never knew any better... and getting off this sh*t has been worse than quitting drinking, worse than heroin withdrawl... the worst experience of my life... physically... but mentally... WOW... I'm so grateful I can tackle this problem head on rather than running from it. I hope at least one person can get something out of this ramble. Happy New Year everybody!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,647,093 times
This is an old post so I hope she was correctly diagnosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness