U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM

130 posts, read 397,656 times

Advertisements

I've had the sleeping issues along with the bad dreams, too. I'm not sure if my experiences will be helpful, but here are some of the things I did that (I think) helped:

re: sleeping issues/waking up early

1. Tried to just accept that some days I would be tired. This somehow made it easier to get through the day.

2. Asked my Dr. for a sleeping pill prescription. (not a very strong one and, though they helped me GET to sleep, I still woke up early/middle of the night...) I only took them a handfull of times, but knowing I had them available made me less stressed about not being able to sleep. I resorted to them when I was on day 3 of bad sleep in a row. Our bodies just can't operate well that way....

3. I re-discovered something called Bedtime Tea (made by Yogi tea brand) that I used to love, and started drinking that in the evening, though only with 6 oz. of water so I wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night. IMO this was better than any sleeping pill (and natural).

4. Since I woke up earlier, I started going to bed earlier (at 9 p.m. instead of 11 or midnight.)

5. End my day with a bath or other soothing things before going to bed.

6. Find some boring talk radio station to put on when I woke up at 3 a.m. -- the droning on would help me get back to sleep.

re: the bad dreams

1. On my sister's recommendation, I placed a bowl with salt water (I used tap water & sea salt) in my room and directed/asked any "negative" energy in the room to please leave through the water in the bowl. Sounds strange, I know, but was willing to do it.

2. Talked about the dreams with my therapist--she had a different take (other than the bad energy idea my sister had) on the purpose & meaning of the dreams. It helped me to reframe it/them. To her, they seemed quite normal given the situation I was in at the time.

I hope there's something helpful in there for you. I wish you a sweet and pleasant night of sleep this evening...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,861,323 times
The above posters have some good ideas.
I like the one especially about keeping a dream journal. It will help you figure out what your dreams are telling you.
I have done this in the past and it helps.
A dream where you give birth is telling you that your life is starting over. Since you're separated from your husband, that right there says a lot. You are starting over and see it as stressful. It's of course putting tremendous stress on you and your dreams are showing it.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,640,138 times
My trouble sleeping has developed into full blown anxiety. It's getting to the point where my chest hurts. I'm trying very hard to relax, but it's not working. I've even resorted to drinking a glass of wine before bedtime, which i know isn't the answer.

I've tried sleepy time tea with warm milk and honey, warm baths with candles and nothing. Trying to keep busy helps temporarily, but it's also not the answer.

I'm thinking about calling my doctor. maybe she can put me on something, but at the same time, i really don't want to have to resort to taking medicine. HELP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness