U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
 
663 posts, read 2,385,114 times
Reputation: 386

Advertisements

FluMist's site lists Walgreen as the only pharmacy in our area. Our pediatrician recommended FluMist and even offered a prescription. We called several Walgreens before finding one that had the serum. We stated our child's age. Walgreen first said a prescription was needed then reversed itself. We arrived after school and filled out the paperwork. Then the "immunist" said we needed a prescription. Well, the doctor's office was closed. Then the "immunist" said our child was too young. So we left with no FluMist.

Apparently Walgreen has its own immunization criteria that differs with our state. Furthermore, it doesn't educate its pharmacy employees on its criteria.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Reputation: 4005
If your child is younger than 2 years of age, the drug isn't labeled for that use, and, while not illegal, if anything happened to your child if he/she was given FluMist and is younger than 2, Walgreens, along with your doctor, would possibly be responsible. Using a drug outside of labelled indications is called 'off label use' and occurs all the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 12,838,127 times
Reputation: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
FluMist's site lists Walgreen as the only pharmacy in our area. Our pediatrician recommended FluMist and even offered a prescription. We called several Walgreens before finding one that had the serum. We stated our child's age. Walgreen first said a prescription was needed then reversed itself. We arrived after school and filled out the paperwork. Then the "immunist" said we needed a prescription. Well, the doctor's office was closed. Then the "immunist" said our child was too young. So we left with no FluMist.

Apparently Walgreen has its own immunization criteria that differs with our state. Furthermore, it doesn't educate its pharmacy employees on its criteria.
No, it sounds like they wanted to be careful about giving your child the correct medication via the proper method and one of the ways this is accomplished is to have a written prescription. A 2 year old or younger? Not gonna happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
Reputation: 6197
Walgreens is hyper strict on all its sales of drugs.
When in the corp enviro you do go with mad lady no sale than sad lady dead baby and suing the pants off us.

And the flu can kill babies that age. And you can get it from mists and shots.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,722,918 times
Reputation: 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
And the flu can kill babies that age. And you can get it from mists and shots.
This is NOT TRUE. I'm an infectious diseases physician and it is NOT POSSIBLE to get influenza from these preventive medications. The vaccine contains KILLED virus. KILLED, as in 'DEAD.' The FluMist contains attenuated live virus. It's attenuated because it's been genetically altered so that it CANNOT cause influenza.

Please do not believe these old wives' tales!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 12,838,127 times
Reputation: 2332
Thumbs up not wanting to get off-topic......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is NOT TRUE. I'm an infectious diseases physician and it is NOT POSSIBLE to get influenza from these preventive medications. The vaccine contains KILLED virus. KILLED, as in 'DEAD.' The FluMist contains attenuated live virus. It's attenuated because it's been genetically altered so that it CANNOT cause influenza.

Please do not believe these old wives' tales!
While pitt_transplant certainly did not ask for my help......

"...FluMist contains live attenuated influenza viruses that must infect and replicate in cells lining the nasopharynx of the recipient to induce immunity. Vaccine viruses capable of infection and replication can be cultured from nasal secretions obtained from vaccine recipients. The relationship of viral replication in a vaccine recipient and transmission of vaccine viruses to other individuals has not been established..."

.....which is why it may not the best way for healthcare professionals (and perhaps others) to take the vaccine and why I don't offer this to my patients for whom injection is an option. Otherwise, I agree with you! Here's to a mild flu season and (LOL) 100% vaccination.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times
Reputation: 6011
While I have no clue why you went through what you did, I do understand the frustration. And I do understand why Walgreens - if it is what they were doing - did some CYA. It doesn't make it any less frustrating.

My issue is when you have the script and they turn you away. Worse, my husband's insurance told him he couldn't have a script that his doctor had prescribed. They said he could take other meds, even though he'd tried them and the one he was on is the only one that worked. It took us a week to battle it out with the insurance company, who at one time told him he didn't need it at all anyway. Because their time in school trains them to better diagnose and prescribe medication to a person they barely know than my husband's doctor who's gone through 12 years or so of school and been practicing for 30+ years, 2 of those as his physician?? Grrr!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 6,775,071 times
Reputation: 1419
Don't know about now but a few years back flumist used to have a list of participating docs who had it in their stock.

I will not immunize for flu unless it is flumist. We've gone a couple of times without it as flumist wasn't available.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top