U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM

29 posts, read 117,275 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:10 AM

25 posts, read 143,235 times
I have Fibro and Chronic Fatigue plus Restless leg Syndrome. I was taking Cymbalta, Ultram, Buspar, Mirapex, Lunesta plus a few other things now... thanks to a doctor that believes in helping all his patients to the fullest I have cut down to Cymbalta and Neurontin..I sleep all night long by taking 800mg once at night. I am so amazed by the results because i am able to finally get asleep at night and I am AWAKE during the day. Those of you with sleep problems know how exciting it is to not have to take a nap 2 hours after you wake up. I have little to no pain and I feel almost normal. Some side effects though, been craving carbs, hard to fall asleep during the day if I want to take a nap, and sometimes a 'high' type feeling that makes the world look like a video game. I am working on the carb cravings which might have to do with Michigan being so dark and gloomy right now and it's not that horrible to not be able to sleep during the day. Anyways I'm happy right now so that's all that matters.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 AM

97 posts, read 353,012 times
I also have Fibromyalgia and I heard too many bad things about Lyrica.
The only thing I take is trazadone for sleep, cause if I don't I would be up all night and day 24/7.
I deal with the pain and other symtoms as I go. I have been put on Rx dose of VitaminD and that seems to help at times.
I also take several other vitamins and minerals and also alfalfa (it helps for the IBS).

Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,963,726 times
great to know you're able to deal with the pain. Some people never find relief. That's sad. As for the Trazadone--hubby had horrific issues with that and none at all with the Lyrica. Which just shows what affects one person one way may not to another. Weird stuff meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
I also have Fibromyalgia and I heard too many bad things about Lyrica.
The only thing I take is trazadone for sleep, cause if I don't I would be up all night and day 24/7.
I deal with the pain and other symtoms as I go. I have been put on Rx dose of VitaminD and that seems to help at times.
I also take several other vitamins and minerals and also alfalfa (it helps for the IBS).

Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 PM

97 posts, read 353,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
great to know you're able to deal with the pain. Some people never find relief. That's sad. As for the Trazadone--hubby had horrific issues with that and none at all with the Lyrica. Which just shows what affects one person one way may not to another. Weird stuff meds.
Yes you are right about the meds part.
Maybe should have said that my fibro comes on in waves or flare ups and when I get one I do have to take some pain meds.
I try to limit the meds though since I have some adverse reactions to some.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,101 times
FIBRO WHERE TO LIVE: AND MEDS
I was diagnosed recently and I can tell you, after years of living in on the east coast-MD, VA area, now living in NC, my fibro is not as bad when it's warm. When I get up in the am, I'm so stiff all over, I can barely drive my car an hour to my job. But I noticed, if it's a weekend and I'm up on the porch when the sun is out, I can sit for 15 or 20 minutes in the sun, warm up my muscles and feel better. Even the hot shower doesn't do it for me like the sun does. Maybe I'm part reptile! LOL but in any case, avoid cold temps, layers layers layers! REGARDING LYRICIA. It really helped me for a few months then the blurry vision and weight gain and muscle aches set in. Now I'm back on it but at a lower dose. Starting at 50 mg once at night. So far, some improvement in my FM pain except for my back problems. I'm still looking into massage therapy to see if my insurance will pay for it. I take flexeril at night (a muscle relaxer). I just cant seem to find any relief during the day for my back spasms and neck and shoulder pain. I do take vitamins and my Neuro said to stay on them. Super B complex, magnesium, vitamin c,& e ,daily multivitamin, rose hips, and I'm thinking of added Sam E as well. I use hot packs on my neck and shoulders when it's bad and I can hardly move. Hopefully I can find a good physical therapist and get my Insurance co. to cover it. Folks need to know NIH AND HARVARD HAVE NEW STUDIES OUT: Linking fibro issues with neurotransmitter issues, so science is still learning how our brain wiring impacts our FM. More and more research shows it's a functionality issue with the chemicals and processes in our brains that send the signals to our bodies. BEWARE OF THINGS LIKE ANTIDEPRESSANTS..neurontin cymbalta geodon amitriptilline etc..as these drugs may not act on the FIBRO BRAIN like they do on folks with out FM. One last tip: keep moving. even when it hurts. got to keep moving, even if it's a little bit. walking slow etc.. if not, your symptoms will get worse. light exercise as tolerated, stretching. tai chi, yoga, no or low impact is best! Swimming is great to stretch, just be sure you're warmed up first as the cold water will cramp and contract your muscles. Fibromyalgia is real and it hurts. Don't give up!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,519,942 times
Ahome4us,

I was just diagnosed with Fribromyalgia on Friday, after going through a battery of tests. The first thing I suggest is to find a good Rheumatologist . I was blessed to be sent to an excellent one in my area, and she is very thorough.

As someone else has posted, some doctors don't believe in this disorder. If you can find a good doctor that is very knowledgeable about it, it would be a good first step.

My doctor has decided to put me on a low dosage of an anti seizure medication called Neurotin, (sp?) which will supposedly help me sleep at night, and apparently in time helps the brain's neurons settle down. I need to pick up the prescription today. As I take it, I will let you know if it helps, if you want. She also said that I need to get back into exercising, which I haven't done in a year, due to the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. I was also told there are foods and drinks that should be avoided, which can make the symtoms worse.

Good luck to all here who have the disorder, I for one know it can be debilitating.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM

9,182 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
My doctor has decided to put me on a low dosage of an anti seizure medication called Neurotin, (sp?) which will supposedly help me sleep at night, and apparently in time helps the brain's neurons settle down. I need to pick up the prescription today. As I take it, I will let you know if it helps, if you want.
Do not think that it's the drug for you until you've been opn it for a few months.
Neurontin is great for nerve pain but there are also side effects which may not allow you to function on a daily basis.

I don't recall if I was on it longer then a month or if it was close to 2. I used to get in the car and forget where I was going.

One day my son & I went to DMV. I totally forgot why i was there and stopped taking it. That was enough for me...

Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 PM

703 posts, read 2,551,962 times
AP IMPACT: Drugmakers' push boosts 'murky' ailment - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090208/ap_on_bi_ge/fibromyalgia_drug_companies - broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,519,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do not think that it's the drug for you until you've been opn it for a few months.
Neurontin is great for nerve pain but there are also side effects which may not allow you to function on a daily basis.

I don't recall if I was on it longer then a month or if it was close to 2. I used to get in the car and forget where I was going.

One day my son & I went to DMV. I totally forgot why i was there and stopped taking it. That was enough for me...

WOW that's scary. I haven't started taking it yet because I read the sheet that came with it, regarding the side effects. I need to be able to function well at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness