U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: U.S.
29 posts, read 117,290 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Hi. I've read that warm, dry locations are better for those with fibromyalgia than cold locations. I know that, in my very cold area, my muscles tighten up when I'm out in the cold, and that doesn't help the fibro.

Has anyone moved to a warmer climate because of fibro? Has it helped?

Any tips for dealing with fibro?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
Reputation: 4690
unsure about warm climates-yet, because we live in a rainy and cold area just now. But are moving soon so we'll see if that helps.
Have you tried the new med for Fibromyalgia called Lyrica? It is a wonder med as far as i'm concerned.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ahome4us View Post
Hi. I've read that warm, dry locations are better for those with fibromyalgia than cold locations. I know that, in my very cold area, my muscles tighten up when I'm out in the cold, and that doesn't help the fibro.

Has anyone moved to a warmer climate because of fibro? Has it helped?

Any tips for dealing with fibro?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: U.S.
29 posts, read 117,290 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Have you tried the new med for Fibromyalgia called Lyrica? It is a wonder med as far as i'm concerned.
No, I don't take any prescription pain meds. I only take Tylenol or ibuprofen when the pain gets super bad. I've been in a lot of pain lately, but I'm trying not to take the meds too often. Too much Tylenol or ibuprofen isn't good for people. I'm already on three prescriptions for other health issues. I've heard there can be side effects of Lyrica. I'm glad it's working for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
Reputation: 4690
I'm sure the side effects are there, for some; but seriously the person(it's not me) who takes it only has a feeling of Euphoria and seems to talk more now. But they say that's only because they feel better. Most people I've talked to who now take it say it's made a HUGE difference in their lives.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahome4us View Post
No, I don't take any prescription pain meds. I only take Tylenol or ibuprofen when the pain gets super bad. I've been in a lot of pain lately, but I'm trying not to take the meds too often. Too much Tylenol or ibuprofen isn't good for people. I'm already on three prescriptions for other health issues. I've heard there can be side effects of Lyrica. I'm glad it's working for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 19,573,579 times
Reputation: 5580
My wife has suffered with fibromyalgia for too many years. We lived in OC, California, which is relatively hot and dry, and moved to the Hi Desert three yerars ago, where it is REALLY hot and dry. If this climate is helping, I would hate to have her live anywhere else, because it sucks here, as far as her condition. We'd love to have you move here, but not so sure it would help much...!
As far as Lyrica, I haven't heard of it, is it perscription? As you must know, most DR's don't believe in FB....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Reputation: 3755
Have you checked out this thread?

Fibromyalgia

I took Lyrica for a few months, and it did help a lot, but I started having too many side effects and stopped it a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't mention it on the post that I put on the above link, but gave a lot of advice from my years of experience with Fibromyalgia Syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,716 posts, read 19,061,208 times
Reputation: 14693
I too have Fibro. I don't take anything unless it's really bad (the sleep difficulties are the worst for me but I've always been a hyper person so I just suck it up) - docs. have suggested Lyrica but I don't want to take any meds. unless absolutely necessary. I do find that I feel better when it's warmer and drier though.

My current med. of choice is have a couple beers before I go to bed, I'm sure my liver/kidneys, etc. will pay for it, but at least I get a little sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,467,617 times
Reputation: 3755
Antihistimines help for the sleep problem. You can take one or two not long before you go to bed, if you tolerate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,704 posts, read 9,099,206 times
Reputation: 4068
I have a friend who has fibromyalgia and has been doing a lot of research. There seem to be some studies out there that indicate that Vitamin D might help. They are finding that a vitamin D deficiency is related to quite a few problems. People who live in the northern states seem to be more suceptible to problems caused by Vitamin D deficiency because of the lack of sunshine. It certainly correlates to why people who move to warmer climates might get some relief.

My doctor recently suggested I take 1000 mg of D daily and a lot of vitamin supplements now contain 1000 mg of D. It's certainly worth a try - it's inexpensive and I don't think there is any harm in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: U.S.
29 posts, read 117,290 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
My wife has suffered with fibromyalgia for too many years. We lived in OC, California, which is relatively hot and dry, and moved to the Hi Desert three yerars ago, where it is REALLY hot and dry. If this climate is helping, I would hate to have her live anywhere else, because it sucks here, as far as her condition. We'd love to have you move here, but not so sure it would help much...!
As far as Lyrica, I haven't heard of it, is it perscription? As you must know, most DR's don't believe in FB....
Yes, Lyrica is a prescription medication. I realize that some doctors don't believe in fibromyalgia. I was sent by my regular family practice doctor to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me, even though I've had it for many years, but they didn't really do anything after that. My doctor knows I don't like the idea of side effects. My husband bought me a memory foam mattress topper and then topped that with a down-type mattress cover. All that softness has helped my legs and shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top