Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,536,054 times

Advertisements

I just got done reading a good article on Scientific American about how 25 years later scientists are still frustrated that they haven't yet been able to develope a treatment to rid the body of the HIV Virus.

The Virus really harbors well in the T Helper Lymphocytes and other Immune Cells as it's a master at hiding it's Protein Marker or Antigen on the infected host Cells Membrane from the other Immune Cells to kill it off.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years since the epidemic began.
25 Years Later: Can HIV Be Cured?: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 14,496 times
of course there's no cure...!! in this time you have to forget the cure.. the most important question is: Who does care preservation?!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursie View Post
of course there's no cure...!! in this time you have to forget the cure.. the most important question is: Who does care preservation?!
I'm sorry but didn't comprehend what you stated Nursie?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,106,316 times
It is a tough nut to crack, but there is always hope. This is an example. But even negative results are progress.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,310,325 times
There is also no known cure for the common cold is there? It's been around a lot longer.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,693,438 times
I might very well be incorrect but if you really get techno about it I don't think we actually know how to "cure" ANY virus once having been infected. By that i mean we have lots of procedures that midigate the effects, and ways to eliminate them...at the expense of good tissue as well...but I'm not sure we' really know how to kill any specific virus. Even the common wart requires us to apply a substance that yes kills the infected tissue but at the same time kills the surrounding tissue.

re HIV...I continue to be amazed at the lack of common sense that this problem is 100% controllable by responsible behavoir.

Yeah ...I know...that's a non PC statement...but it happens to be true (excluding the early days of blood transfusions etc)

Let the flame war begin

Last edited by JBrown; 10-24-2008 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Let the flame war begin
If anyone FLAMES this thread that i started about this i will immediately contact the Moderator YAC and asked that they be Banned from City Data as you have read the TOS when you joined.

Whether it's HIV or the Rabies thread i started ealier or the Science of Longevity etc...these are the Science forums not the Politics forum.

6/3

Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
It is a tough nut to crack, but there is always hope. This is an example. But even negative results are progress.
Thanks for the link Brian as that was interesting about CMAL. The understanding of the interworkings of Cells is just getting to be mind boggling as Science advances.

I always hear the folks at the MDA Telethons say that when the first of the Neuromuscular diseases fall i.e. ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsons, Alzheimers etc..the others will be right behind.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,871,041 times
I was about to state what's been stated above: there is NO viral disease that is currently 'curable,' because of the nature of viruses.

Even more critical is that HIV inserts itself into human cells' genetic material, so, unless anyone can develop little molecular 'scissors' to cut out this bit of DNA or can block it, we're stuck.

I worked on the first protease inhibitor for HIV that was approved and every time I hear about 'cure' I ask them what other viral disease is curable...unfortunately we can PREVENT some viral diseases, but we can't currently cure them.

Education is so critical and making it clear to the population at large that, while treatable, HIV is still a dreadful price to pay for forgetfulness/neglect/carelessness - whatever you want to call it.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM

In the Scientific American article i posted a couple of areas the scientists at John Hopkins are working on is trying to get those infected Helper T Cells to divide as the Virus keeps them from doing so to protect it's idenity from an Immune attack as when they replicate they show parts of their protein on the cell surface and can then be killed.

Another research area is developing drugs to interfer with Reverse Transcriptase an enzyme which converts the Virus Genetic Material from RNA to DNA inside it's host cell which again in theory could halt the Virus.

Third area they are working on is blocking the Virus ability to lock onto the Cell Receptor CCR5 so it can not enter the Cells in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness