Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,564,287 times

Advertisements

Just read this this morning off of my favorite science news site (Science Daily) and that is Scientists at the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease are learning to turn on the Brains natural Enzyme that degrades the Plaques or Amyloid-Beta in Alzheimer's patients.

I didn't realise that we all produce these Plaques naturally thruout our lives but our natural Brain Protease Enzyme known as (CatB) eats these every day for usso we dion't come down with this but in Alzheimers Patients they are down regulated so these Plaques build up over time. Looks like they are having good success in clinical trials.

I always wondered what if people took Digestive Protease Enzymes on an empty stomach for weeks/months etc..and see if they could cross the Blood Brain Barrier and dissolve these abnormal Proteins or Plaques.

Here's the story.
Potential Strategy To Eliminate Poisonous Protein From Alzheimer Brains Identified - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 09:57 AM

434 posts, read 932,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Just read this this morning off of my favorite science news site (Science Daily) and that is Scientists at the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease are learning to turn on the Brains natural Enzyme that degrades the Plaques or Amyloid-Beta in Alzheimer's patients.

I didn't realise that we all produce these Plaques naturally thruout our lives but our natural Brain Protease Enzyme known as (CatB) eats these every day for usso we dion't come down with this but in Alzheimers Patients they are down regulated so these Plaques build up over time. Looks like they are having good success in clinical trials.

I always wondered what if people took Digestive Protease Enzymes on an empty stomach for weeks/months etc..and see if they could cross the Blood Brain Barrier and dissolve these abnormal Proteins or Plaques.

Here's the story.
Potential Strategy To Eliminate Poisonous Protein From Alzheimer Brains Identified - Science Daily
The answer as far as I know is no. That's exactly what the brain barrier is for. To delivery medicine to brain is always of challenge.

I doubt intake lots of protease to empty stomach will likely do anything. Our digestive system is geared to degrade/process/eliminate it after use within the system.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
The answer as far as I know is no. That's exactly what the brain barrier is for. To delivery medicine to brain is always of challenge.

I doubt intake lots of protease to empty stomach will likely do anything. Our digestive system is geared to degrade/process/eliminate it after use within the system.
Thanks for weighing in Jinglebell. I did do a Pubmed search and there are some published abstracts showing the absortion of Bromelain by itself into the Blood Stream but wasn't sure about the BBB.

Anyway thanks again !!

6/3

Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM

434 posts, read 932,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Thanks for weighing in Jinglebell. I did do a Pubmed search and there are some published abstracts showing the absortion of Bromelain by itself into the Blood Stream but wasn't sure about the BBB.

Anyway thanks again !!

6/3
Pubmed? Are you kidding me! I am supposed to read regularly but not. Instead, I play too much music and read too many poems and surfing on the net.....

You will be excellent in my field!

In recent years, I have beenspecialized in developing novel approach of molecular cloning.

Anyway, I am back to read my books then cook some lunch for everybody.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,037,666 times
These various work and research programs will be such a great benefit to so many people.

Here's hoping that an actual cure can be found...

Vitamin pill that may slow Alzheimer's goes on trial | Science | The Guardian
New research on Alzheimer's disease - November 15, 2008 (http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov08/081115g.asp - broken link)

Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,550,838 times
The recommended advice for the delay of Alzheimer's of exercise, proper diet, no smoking, etc. has been the way of life for someone I am related to. Sadly, this person is suffering with this disease. I am going to ask about the vitamin B3 theory! Interesting posts here. Thank you.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
The recommended advice for the delay of Alzheimer's of exercise, proper diet, no smoking, etc. has been the way of life for someone I am related to.
That's true from all the research i've been reading up on over the last several years about diet and inflammation and this disease connection.

Diabetes In Mid-life Linked To Increased Risk Of Alzheimer's Disease - Science Daily

Blood Inflammation Plays Role In Alzheimer's Disease - Science Daily

Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,681,183 times
cool! maybe there will be a cure before im 40.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,987,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
These various work and research programs will be such a great benefit to so many people.

Here's hoping that an actual cure can be found...

Vitamin pill that may slow Alzheimer's goes on trial | Science | The Guardian
New research on Alzheimer's disease - November 15, 2008 (http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov08/081115g.asp - broken link)
November 15th 2008? Did they forget what day it was?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 AM

I was just reading this about researchers at UCLA School of medicine found that a component of Fish Oil known as DHA has the ability to produce a protein in the brain known as LR-11 which naturally dissolves the Plaques .

Those concerned about Alzheimers might be something to explore.

Anti-Alzheimer's Mechanism In Omega-3 Fatty Acids Found - Science Daily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness