U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:49 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,636,276 times

Advertisements

In doing some researching of late, found the following,,, yea, there is a lot here, but some fairly interesting bits of info, some that encompass other areas - lots of related fields that potentially touch and then can help in each specific one of interest, and then the others too... one big massive web that ties it all together

Coping With Memory Loss
Occasional memory loss tied to lower brain volume
Memory loss: When to seek help - MayoClinic.com

UK: Blackcurrants project could stave off dementia
No quick fix for Alzheimer's - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 11, 2008
Food can help you focus | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2008/11/12/eatingout.html - broken link)
Vitamin B3 Reduces Alzheimer's Symptoms, Lesions: Clinical Trial On Nicotinamide Effect In Alzheimer's Patients

Dementia: It's not always Alzheimer's - MayoClinic.com
Alzheimer's and Other Dementias: Understanding the Differences
Alzheimer's News & Dementia News from Medical News Today
Dementia - Alzheimer's and More
Dementia Symptoms, Types and Causes - WebMD

genome.gov | 2007 Release: Scientists Find New Genetic Clue to Cause of Alzheimer's Disease
Incidence of genetic disorders - Genetic Diseases

OMIM Home
OMIM - VALOSIN-CONTAINING PROTEIN; VCP
PubMed Home
the above gives the following, as first 'hit': OMIM - ALZHEIMER DISEASE; AD

[url=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Breakthrough-Mapping-Alzheimers-Genome-Helps/story.aspx?guid={B9748602-8F3F-4933-993B-DB7C9BF80515}[/url]
Social Ties May Help Cut Dementia Risk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
Yeah, I knew someone who had dementia. I didn't realize there was a difference until years later.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,636,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Yeah, I knew someone who had dementia. I didn't realize there was a difference until years later.
Yea, me neither - that's why I've tried to educate myself, even more of late, and put the links in the previous link there for others too. My dad has this, and its not something I or anyone, especially a spouse, should have to see - watching a loved one, someone you've known all [or vast majority of] your life, go through these 'stages'. You want and you try to ignore it, try and want to deny its happening... yet, reality of the situation keeps hitting ya - that this person, this once strong vibrant person ain't quite the same... Anyhow, driving into work this morn' heard the following story on NPR:
Researchers: New Explanation For Alzheimer's : NPR

And then looking to find this story link, here are some more that may be of interest:
Alzheimer NPR Stories - Reverbiage Feeds from National Public Radio (http://reverbiage.com/find/alzheimer - broken link)
- especially the two on 'tangles' and on 'Calcium'...

And a couple older stories too:
Alzheimer's Drugs Offer Debatable Promise : NPR
Emphasis on Alzheimer's Cure Debated : NPR

Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,250,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
The answer as far as I know is no. That's exactly what the brain barrier is for. To delivery medicine to brain is always of challenge.

I doubt intake lots of protease to empty stomach will likely do anything. Our digestive system is geared to degrade/process/eliminate it after use within the system.
There are indeed medications that allow things to cross the blood brain barrier, Tysabri a treatment for MS allows this, Copaxone to some extent another MS treatment does this as well.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
I see that researchers at St. Louis university are perfecting this in a latest clinical study in their labs of better opening up the BBB to allow new class of drugs (PACAP27 Compound) etc. to help on this and other neuro diseases.

Blood-brain Barrier Disarmed In Rodents: Hormone Shows Promise In Reversing Alzheimer’s Disease And Stroke - Science Daily

Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Here's a clinical study just out that researchers at the Feinstein Institute of Medical research have shown that the compound found in Red Grapes and Red Wine known as Resveratrol activates a Kinase in the brain called AMPK which lowers the levels of the Amyloid Beta plaques thought to cause alzheimer's.

Substance In Red Grapes And Wine Key To Alzheimer's Disease - Medical News Today

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 PM

620 posts, read 1,824,628 times
You guys have created quite an interesting and, no doubt, useful thread here.

THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness